Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA-Europe on UAL, any 747-400OB left ?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 1999, 6:52 am
Original Poster

USA-Europe on UAL, any 747-400OB left ?

I have already experienced the new business class seats on the new 777 a year ago but believe it or not I have never experienced the "upstairs" quarters on a 747. Is there still some UAL747 leaving to Europe or are they all replaced by 777's. I think that Lufthansa still operated 747's from BOS to Frankfurt. Also am I correct that only the UAL747-400OB have the new Business seats ?
Thanks a lot. Havane.

---------------------------------------------
Airlines First and Business class service reviews : http://www.stormloader.com/havane/sl...roduction.html
Old Aug 5, 1999, 7:21 am

I'm not sure if the 400OB are the only ones with the new seats. I flew on UA from IAD-LHR in June, upstairs with the new seats, thought they were nice but nothing extra special. Actually thought they were a tiny bit smaller than I remember when making Asian flights on the upper deck. Video system is like 777's, but we had problems with it on our flight. The recline is good, legrests seemed a bit short for me, OK for my wife.
I flew the 777 last March from AMS-IAD in BC and don't remember much about the flight, too little sleep in AMS!

[This message has been edited by shadow (edited 08-05-1999).]
Old Aug 5, 1999, 8:34 am
jet

Programs: UA MM; DL SPG HH Gold
Yes, at least for the summer, UA allocated 747-400's out of the Asia/Pacific routes to transatlantic routes. I seem to remember an IADFRA or ORDFRA route, but I don't have the timetable with me. Also, not all OB's have the new seats. And I don't think all the new seats are only going into OB's.

Yes, the upper deck is cool. You are so high off the ground when taxiing, and when you look back you have a unique view of the wing and engines. My only complaint about it is that it doesn't feel as spacious (obviously) as the lower deck. One reason I'm actually glad United doesn't put First in the upper deck...
Old Aug 5, 1999, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
I agree with jet. Upper Deck is just too tight for my comfort. While the environment is more exclusive and the views are cool, I like downstairs better.

Specifically, I always ask for row 22, which is by the main entrance door, or on the far side of the cabin by the same door. There is 8 feet of room in front of it, and when the crew is done with the service it is wide open. It is next to the stairs, so you also don't have people across an aisle from you.

On flights that are not full, it seems to be the last area to be filled, possibly because it is in what used to be the smoking section.

I have flown this seating area many times to Australia and Asia, and like it much, much better than upstairs.

[This message has been edited by Brian (edited 08-05-1999).]
Old Aug 5, 1999, 10:53 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
IAD to FRA has one route with a 747 and one with a 777, don't know which series.

All 747-OB (used to be OA before refitted) have new seats.

Upstairs exit rows can't be beat IMHO for room, accessability, and quiteness.(plus you have a large closest upstairs to put your roller bags)
Old Aug 5, 1999, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Brian, I agree with you but I think we are in the minority. I think the upstairs is no better than flying long haul on a 737. 2 and 2 seating, low ceiling, bad lighting, no overhead, all make for a very claustophobic experience IMHO. But those that like to or are able to sleep swear by it though.

I love the spaciousness and high ceilings of the downstairs. This is why I like "wide body" aircraft after all.

Some have mentioned better service upstairs, but I don't find that to be the case, and in fact this seems to be where all the FA's come to chat on their breaks.
Old Aug 5, 1999, 3:09 pm
Original Member

Lufthansa operates UA codeshares 747 from LAX to FRA. UA also operates 747 from IAD to LHR. Unfrotunately I do not know what series it is. Hoe does one find out?
Old Aug 5, 1999, 4:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
I flew 747 from IAD to FRA in June on UA 916, it was 747-400, and had new seats in Business Class. Row 15 is the best for leg room, more then 10 feet I believe (upper deck emergency exit), but it does not have a window.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.