Search

Award Travel on Lufthansa

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 1999, 4:54 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Award Travel on Lufthansa

I plan on taking a trip to Berlin in a few months. If I upgrade to C class with MP miles and fly on Lufthansa, would I need a UA upgrade award or a Lufthansa award? Also, in order to get MP credit, do the flights have to have a UA code share number?

If anyone has flown Lufthansa before, I'd be interested in knowing about the quality of the service and the food. Thanks!

Neal
Old Mar 13, 1999, 5:11 pm

In my experience, quality of food and service are GREEAAATTTT!!! It may not beat Cathay Pacific, but I don't think Cathay Pacific flies that route.

Had a great experience some years back with LH. I was posted in Germany at the time, and my parents were taking a vacation to Europe. Due to flight connection problems, they missed the flight from JFK to FRA. LH not only put them up in NY, but upgraded them all the way to First for the flight the next day! Needless to say, they were delighted.
Old Mar 13, 1999, 6:54 pm
Original Member

Neal, LH's services are generally quite good. If you get a flight with the new C-class seats, you'll be quite comfortable. The food is good, the service too - typically very efficient, German service.

Bring some English language magazines, as these might in short supply.

If it will cost you extra to upgrade to C-class for an intra-Germany flight, you might decide not to do so. The service and seat comfort for intra-Germany flights is (almost) the same in C as in Y class.
Old Mar 13, 1999, 7:30 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Dutch Boy,

I didn't mention earlier that I might spend 100,000 miles for a free F class ticket on
Lufthansa. Have you ever flown them in F class? I'd love to hear about it from you or
anyone else who did.

I am curious as to how their seats/beds compare to the ones on BA that I
experienced last year. I hope it will be as nice on UA.

Neal

Old Mar 13, 1999, 11:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Neal: you have to go trough UA to get the LH award (that's the case with any award on any partnerairline if you use Mileage Plus).

First Class LH: it is in full movement/improvement this spring.

LH Business IN Europe "only" gives you small advantages as: special check in, more luggage (30kg instead of only 20kg and 2 pieces of handluggage instead of one), some small food-advantages, and the LH-business-class-lounge (if you are StarAlliance Gold or Red Carpet member than you can use the lounge anyway). No seat/space advantage (but increased chances of having an empty seat beside you).
Old Mar 14, 1999, 8:44 pm
Original Member

Neal, I have flown Lufthansa a few times in F-class, but always in the 'old' seats. They are large and comfortable, but not comparable to the new BA seats. However, as Rudi mentioned, LH is progressively upgrading to their new F-class seats, which might help.

Service is good and quite friendly - again with that German efficiency, where service procedures are frequently done because they are indicated in the service guide, not necessarily because the flight attendant feels like it... The food and beverages are generally very good.

You will get an enormous amount of leg room - LH is the only airline I know with F-class on the upperdeck - only four rows on a 747-400 I believe.
Old Mar 14, 1999, 9:21 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I finally decided to cash in UA miles for
a F class RT ticket on LH. I just got off
the phone with LH, whom I had to call for my seat assignments. I was told that both trans Atlantic flights will have the new seats that recline 180 degrees.

I look forward to the upper deck too. I flew C class across the Atlantic on a UA
747 and loved it as much as International First Class. It's so private and quiet up there. I know beyond a doubt that I'll love F Class up top!

I really appreciate everyones input! People always tell me how knowledgeable I am about
flying, upgrading, etc. But when I read the posts of some of you guys, (and you know who you are,) I realize you're in a league of your own. Thanks again!!

Neal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.