Search

Cherry blossom fares IAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 1999, 3:48 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Cherry blossom fares IAD

CHICAGO, March 9, 1999 - United Airlines announced today that in honor of the upcoming Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington, D.C. it will offer reduced fares for travel to and from Washington's Dulles International Airport this spring. Fares are now available for purchase on United's award-winning web site (UAL.com) using the special E-Fare Specials tab. Travel may begin as soon as April 4 and must be completed by May 27. Tickets must be purchased at least 14 days in advance of travel but no later than Friday, March 12. A Saturday night stay is also required for domestic travel only. Attractive destinations in Europe and across the United States are included in the sale.
Here are sample round-trip fares for travel originating at Washington Dulles:
Amsterdam, $328; Brussels, $288; Frankfurt or Munich, $290; London, $278; Milan, $290; Paris, $278.

Here are sample round-trip fares for travel between Washington Dulles and domestic markets: Atlanta, $154; Austin, $286; Boston, $114; Chicago, $234; Dallas, $230; Hartford, $152; Houston, $230; Los Angeles, $276; Miami, $188; New Orleans, $174; and New York (La Guardia), $98.
Old Mar 9, 1999, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I booked mine last night just after midnight when it was announced. Going to IAD May 14-16. A quick trip and will hit Arlington in honor of Armed Forces Day (May 15th), see a few sights, and collect those DOUBLE IAD miles!! Yipee!
Old Mar 10, 1999, 8:23 am
Original Member

UA seems to be on a binge promoting IAD. Although I'd never heard of such a thing before, I recently was offered a one-way First Class DISCOUNTED fare if I connected through IAD. The discounted first fare was $300 cheaper than the outbound steerage flight which connected through Denver.

Anyone have further info on discounted first fares?

[This message has been edited by KatW (edited 03-10-99).]
Old Mar 10, 1999, 10:39 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Please, UA, stop, you're embaressing me by killing me with kindness!!!! As I said before: WOOOO-HOOOO!

Now for the downside to this promotion: While domestic flights are upgradable, international are not (its that DARN H-fare thing)...still, if I'm going to make 1k this year, spending a night in London or Paris for $278 seems like a pretty darn good way to do it!

European mini-flyertalk get-together, anyone??? Need to decide quickly!
Old Mar 10, 1999, 2:19 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I am in Paris Wednesday, may-26 to Friday, may-28 (French Tennis Open)... (I come by car: 6-7 hours from Zurich). ... and Matt, I know even more places in Paris than in San Juan PR or Bangkok - sure. And, if LH grants the same fares (I don't know) with LH you can upgrade (using UA miles) ANY paid fare (you get MORE status miles, but you loose the 100% PremEx bonus).

The mileage calculations in eco:

with LH: IAD-FRA-CDG * 2 = (4'650 + 500) * 2 = 10'300 (also 10'300 status)

with UA: IAD-CDG *2 (PremEx) * 2 = 3'861 * 2 * 2 = 15'444 (but "only" 7'722 status miles)

[This message has been edited by Rudi (edited 03-10-99).]
Old Mar 10, 1999, 2:52 pm
Commander Catcop

This cherry Blossom Fare is too tempting!

I have to figure out the most open weekend to go (it will probably be 5-21 to 5-23... need to save that vacation time for the Party in Paradise!

------------------
CATMAN
Old Mar 11, 1999, 12:16 am
Commander Catcop

EWR did not have the Cherry Blossum fare so I booked through EWR to D-C and while paying about 40 bucks more still got a decent fare I think:

21-May UA 7535 EWR-IAD 12:30-13:45
23-May UA 7528 IAD-EWr 10:30-11:45

SmithSonian here I come!

Now all I need is a hotel. Looking at the Westin on Massachusetts Ave provided it's near subway and major locations.

------------------
CATMAN
Old Mar 11, 1999, 7:35 am
Original Member

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
is this not partially a response to Southwest and USairways fares (LGA-IAD, and ISP to BWI? i think that these fares will stick around for longer than stated...especially in the NY market.
Old Mar 12, 1999, 1:15 pm

Location: DEN, UA PE, Hilton Gold, ** Reactivate Delete Feature**
Catman,

What did you decide on for a hotel? I'm headed out to IAD:

May 14 UA# 1064 DEN --> IAD 15:41 20:52
May 16 UA# 1051 IAD --> DEN 18:45 20:20

but haven't settled on a hotel yet. I've been considering one right down in the "Monument Zone" but they seem a bit pricey (of the ones still with availability.) I've not been to DC yet so don't know the ropes of getting around there.

-Q-

[This message has been edited by QuantumLeap (edited 03-12-99).]
Old Mar 13, 1999, 9:20 am
Commander Catcop

I settled on the Westin Fairfax (or is it Fairfax Westin?) which is on Embassy Row. I'm doing it for the decent rate and the Starwood points!

As I said to you Q-L: Book now!!! As PremEx said it's Armed Forces day or some military related event. Hotel space can be at a premium!

------------------
CATMAN
Old Mar 13, 1999, 10:06 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
CHERRY BLOSSOM BAIT AND SWITCH IS MORE LIKE IT!!!!

Three days of playing with itineraries for all sorts of flights (iad-cdg, iad-lhr, iad-san, iad-sfo) and NONE of the itineraries were anywhere NEAR the "advertised" prices WHEN there were any fares at all available under the promotion, which was only about 50% of the time. E.g., best I could find cdg was $588 and that was an inconvenient thursday-tuesday booking! In fact, the one ticket that I DID book in the last couple of days was san diego, and that was at LESS than the cherry blossom fare on a fare that I found on the UC software!!!!!

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. I never really believe those special fares anyway and usually ignore them, but the IAD thing got me interested and wasted considerable time for me. One day older, wiser and more cynical...shame on you UA!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.