Wiki Posts
Search

award travel on star alliance vs UA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 1999, 4:01 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

award travel on star alliance vs UA

Is there a different award chart for travel on carriers other than UA? For instance, you could get to Rome on SAS or on LH. To CPH on SAS, LH, UA connecting to SAS, UA connecting to LH, ... You get my point. Do I get to choose, or does UA choose for me?
Old Mar 5, 1999, 5:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
You choose every detail (and you pay the consequences with miles ...).
Old Mar 5, 1999, 5:50 pm
pgupta011

You get to pick one airline (I do not think that you can mix and match). There is an award chart for UA, and different award charts for other airlines. For example business class US to India: 100K on United (soon to be discontinued), 100K on Air Canada (but they black out four months of the year), 185K on Lufthansa, more than 200K on some other partners. United is not competitive here (at least compared with AA), despite the Star Alliance.

Old Mar 5, 1999, 7:33 pm
Original Member

Location: New York - DL Gold, AA Gold, AC Prestige, VS Silver
pgupta, bigger problem with trying to book award travel to India on Air Canada - they don't operate flights from June-Sept. Then they black out Dec and Apr for reward travel - leaves you a pretty narrow list of possible dates. United is discontinuing flying to India. Flying to India on LH or SAS in Business takes way more miles.
Old Mar 5, 1999, 7:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Another reason to be Super Elite on Air Canada -- no blackouts. Plus to Delhi they have a reward sale only 80000 miles for Exec First; 50000 miles for Economy Oct 1-Oct 31 for Super Elite members.
Old Mar 5, 1999, 10:42 pm
pgupta011

Maybe I should move all my United miles to BA via Diners Club. With BA, there are no blackout dates from US to India for business class, and it costs 100K miles.

Old Mar 5, 1999, 11:08 pm
Original Member

Location: New York - DL Gold, AA Gold, AC Prestige, VS Silver
Blonde, I have access to the reward sale as well in October (plain Elite). However I envy the "no blackout" provision of Super Elite. Stupidly, AC actually hits you with two separate sets of blackout dates - one set from Canada/US to London and a second set from London to India. Since the only AC flight to India is from London - and hence you need to connect there - you need to comply with both sets to actually make the trip.
Old Mar 6, 1999, 1:44 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Why have I never seen these "phantom" award charts? In the timetable it sounds like "all partner travel is Saver except for Aeromar" or some such wording. I understand differences in routing (Asia via Europe more expensive than via the Pacific), but I'm all for full disclosure.
Old Mar 6, 1999, 2:16 pm
Original Member

the "phantom" award tables of UA's partner airlines.

You can download it from UA's homepage (it is in the american mileage-plus guide). You need acrobat 3 to read it - and it is not updated since summer/fall 1997 - but the basic rules and mileages are (more or less) still the same.
Old Mar 13, 1999, 4:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
I am almost positive that UA did away with all blackout dates for travel in international F and C class. I can't remember if it's for domestic travel too.

Neal
Old Mar 13, 1999, 11:43 pm
Original Member

no blackout dates for 1K at all - BUT capacity controls exist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.