Wiki Posts
Search

United Connection (web) Seat Mapper

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 1999, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Location: DEN, UA PE, Hilton Gold, ** Reactivate Delete Feature**
United Connection (web) Seat Mapper

I like the Seat Mapper function in the web United Connection. However, for most of the flight I've booked, it has told me there wasn't a seat map available. Is there some trick, or have I just been unlucky?

-QL
Old Mar 9, 1999, 1:05 pm
Original Member

Dear "upstart" QL...

The seat mapper apparently doesn't work with Internet Explorer in some cases (or maybe all?) Is anyone here able to use it with IE?

-- "old timer" QL
Old Mar 9, 1999, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Location: DEN, UA PE, Hilton Gold, ** Reactivate Delete Feature**
QuietLion,

Sorry, didn't mean to misappropriate your moniker Thanks for the info. I'll fiddle a bit with the Java settings and see if that helps.

-Q-
Old Mar 9, 1999, 1:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: CO Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz President's Circle
be advised that the seat map feature does not work with internet explorer 4.0 or 5.0(beta).

use IE3.0, or netscape. it's a known problem that the sponsors say they are working on.

[This message has been edited by MileCrazy (edited 03-09-99).]
Old Mar 9, 1999, 1:40 pm

QL(s):

I too have noticed that the Seatmapper has not been able to load on both Navigator and IE (almost all versions) for quite some time. In fact I have only been able to use it two or three times a year ago.

I wonder if United is aware of this problem, or if they care. Maybe I should e-mail them , unless someone else has already done so.

I would be interested to hear their response.

Isn't their reservation system interfaced with ITN? Could it be an ITN issue?
Old Mar 9, 1999, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use it almost every day and it works fine with Netscape 4.04. It doesn't work with AOL's built-in browser (a version of Internet Explorer), so I have to switch to Netscape and it works just fine.

[This message has been edited by PremEx (edited 03-09-99).]
Old Mar 9, 1999, 1:46 pm
Original Member

Don't do what I did (which was stupid-stupid-stupid) for a few more miles:

I upgraded IE3 (which didn't do the Seat Mapper) with IE4 (which didn't work either and ate up even more space on the laptop). IE4 affixes itself to your OS like a fat tick, making a switch to the earlier version is all but impossible.

All for an extra 250 miles per segment! I use the United Connection software. It has super speed, great features, and 250 miles per segment.
Old Mar 10, 1999, 7:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA MM *G. Continental *G
United Connection software is far superior to UC on the web. In the first place it is 10 times faster, and you can select from as many flights as you want. The seat map display is better and it allows you to look at the seat map before selecting a flight (good if you want so see how the front of the plane looks).

I think that United should revise the software so that you can use internet access instead of modem. That would save them money they are now paying to compuserve for using their network.
Old Mar 10, 1999, 7:30 pm
Original Member

hsilbiger,

Good news! You can already use the Internet with the UC software. Just set Tools/Communication/Service Provider to "Internet Service Provider" and it will use your existing Internet connection.
Old Mar 11, 1999, 9:06 am

Location: Santa Barbara, CA USA: Round the World Travel, Star Alliance. United 1K, Lufthansa Senator, Singapore PPS
QuietLion: You are right about using United Connection with an Internet ISP connection.

I have found that this is the only way to access the United Connection when outside the USA, so I use it all the time.
Old Mar 11, 1999, 1:52 pm
Commander Catcop

United Connection generally works fine for me. My big problem: it only seems to move on to the flight list page if I put in the airport codes (like EWR, IAD, CAT, etc) and not spell out the airport's name or location.

The seat map also has worked fine for me. I generally get the first seat I click on.

And it's a few bonus miles here and there I believe until Dec 31!!! MILES! SHOW ME THE MILES!

------------------
CATMAN
Old Mar 11, 1999, 2:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: CO Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz President's Circle
cm:

united connection gives you the option of entering airport code, airport name, or city name. your default setting is currently airport code.

to change it to airport or city name, go to Tools >> System Options >> Default Sort Order >> OK... ok?
Old Mar 11, 1999, 3:57 pm
Original Member

Location: New York - DL Gold, AA Gold, AC Prestige, VS Silver
QL,

thanks for the tip about using United Connection with an ISP. I never used United Connection before as I didn't want to log on using a 28.8 modem. Since I have a direct high-speed connection at work - this works out most excellently.

Thanks again,
megamiles
Old Mar 11, 1999, 4:27 pm
Commander Catcop

Thanks for the tip MileCrazy! You do learn something new everyday!

------------------
CATMAN

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.