Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Washington Times - United Admits to StarNet Blocking!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Washington Times - United Admits to StarNet Blocking!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2011, 11:58 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by l'etoile
I've found pretty good availability in C on SA within Africa and Europe-Africa. I changed a ticket on 12 times for this past August and never had trouble with getting space on the SA portions. In any event, enjoy!
Just wanted to add a data point. We just booked 2 C seats on SA for JFK-JNB-CPT for next April. ANA showed plenty of availability around the dates we wanted, and UA saw the same. I had thought JFK-JNB awards were impossible, but apparently not. ^
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:24 pm

Star alliance blocking is still alive and well at UA. Makes me suspect it's too in-grained in their reservations system and they cannot easily get rid of it. My point of reference, TG flights out of BKK on Jul4. All seem to be blocked, be it PVG or HKG, while CO shows availability.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Even on continental flights. I was trying to book a YUL-EWR-XXX reward flight operated by continental. It was available on CO website, but UA agent couldn't see it available.

I called continental and booked it from my account.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by 1KHI
Even on continental flights. I was trying to book a YUL-EWR-XXX reward flight operated by continental. It was available on CO website, but UA agent couldn't see it available.

I called continental and booked it from my account.
This is unacceptable.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
It seems the CO website may be emplying UA's ol' StarNet blocking trick.

I'm seeing BKK-ZRH on TG C not available on CO but available on NH's tool. Same story with a FRA-ZRH LX flight. Travel in December/January.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UA Fan
This is unacceptable.
Availability on "native" metal is often different than that to partners. Not a huge surprise there.

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX

I'm seeing BKK-ZRH on TG C not available on CO but available on NH's tool. Same story with a FRA-ZRH LX flight. Travel in December/January.
Is it the same logged out? Co.com has problems from time to time with premium cabin awards on some partners when logged in as an elite because of the way they code some awards internally. If they can book it on the phone it is likely a case of the website being annoying, not a willful blocking of the award space.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MPVG

I can't tell if the CO site is blocking or just not not working very well. I've definitely seen flights that ANA shows but CO doesn't. But I've also encountered a few instances where the site will show a flight in combination with other flights (i.e., A-B as part of A-B-C) but then not show it when doing a direct A-B search. I get a sense that CO's award search is not very consistent.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Same story with a FRA-ZRH LX flight.
You wont see any LX flights online
You also wont see TK,CA,SQ

Now, if they told you on the phone, there is no space on that flight, that would be an issue.

I've also found some TG inconsistencies - but only online - on the phone they had the flights - there certainly are a lot of bugs to the online system, so I wouldnt blame *net blocking just yet.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

co.com is not reliable in searching intl reward flights:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...s-flights.html

call CO and see if you get it.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA Platinum/2MM
Just tried to book awards tickets for my sister and her husband. ANA site showed availabilities on dates we wanted. But GS agent said there was none. I told him that I saw it on ANA site but he says "but I am not seeing it."
Old Jun 30, 2011, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Downdog
Just tried to book awards tickets for my sister and her husband. ANA site showed availabilities on dates we wanted. But GS agent said there was none. I told him that I saw it on ANA site but he says "but I am not seeing it."
Flights & dates?
Old Jun 30, 2011, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Downdog
they usually say that what is available to ANA does not need to be made available to UA.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
they usually say that what is available to ANA does not need to be made available to UA.
Yup, they play the 'airlines release seats only to some partners' crap.

What flights were you looking for?
Old Jun 30, 2011, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
And its true, if the seats are on ANA.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 9:52 am

Programs: UA Platinum/2MM
Originally Posted by dsquared37
What flights were you looking for?
Lufthansa TLS-KIX on 11/1. Return on either 11/30 or 12/1. Flexible dates. ANA site was showing these dates/ flights are available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.