Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Washington Times - United Admits to StarNet Blocking!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Washington Times - United Admits to StarNet Blocking!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:31 am

Programs: AA PLAT (2.8MM), DL Diamond, UA*S, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTE, Hilton DIAMOND, IHG PLT
Booked a CDG-BKK-KUL next month on TG via UA and it was not a problem...
Old Jul 23, 2011, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by utpharmdoc
Booked a CDG-BKK-KUL next month on TG via UA and it was not a problem...

My experience is this is infrequent, but when it's happening all TG intra-Asia flights are affected. Eur-Asia flights are not affected however.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 7:49 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mre5765
You've linked your 1pass and M+ accounts right? So transfer the required miles from your M+ account to your 1pass account and then you can book those TG flights via 1pass.@:-)
Exactly, and if you're booking a r/t award, you won't even have to call and waste time dealing with an incompetent agent at UA (or CO).
Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, American Platinum
Need advise of the sages here on flyertalk:

I have 3 award tickets, DEN-SGN on Oct 15. One person in Biz, 2 in Economy.

I checked both the ANA tool and Continental site - OZ has availability for all of us in Biz via SEA. Problem is United appears to have Starnet blocked the seats because UA says it's not available.

I don't have enough miles to transfer miles from UA to CO to make a clean, new booking in Biz via SEA. There are NOT award seats on the return dates so I cannot cancel my current space, transfer the miles, and then rebook.

Any thoughts on how I can make this work?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: QR platinum
Originally Posted by cohighcountry1k
Need advise of the sages here on flyertalk:

I checked both the ANA tool and Continental site - OZ has availability for all of us in Biz via SEA. Problem is United appears to have Starnet blocked the seats because UA says it's not available.

I don't have enough miles to transfer miles from UA to CO to make a clean, new booking in Biz via SEA. There are NOT award seats on the return dates so I cannot cancel my current space, transfer the miles, and then rebook.

Any thoughts on how I can make this work?
What about spliting the RT tickets into two OWs for the passengers in economy?

Then you can cancel the outward, transfer miles and book on CO. I think that CO gives you the opportunity to put an award reservation on hold for at least one day, so to play safe you could call CO, reserve the OW in business, cancel the OW on UA, transfer miles and finally ticket.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CASAFlyer
What about spliting the RT tickets into two OWs for the passengers in economy?

Then you can cancel the outward, transfer miles and book on CO. I think that CO gives you the opportunity to put an award reservation on hold for at least one day, so to play safe you could call CO, reserve the OW in business, cancel the OW on UA, transfer miles and finally ticket.
No award holds for Continental.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 6:34 am

Strange. I keep hearing from people here that *Net blocking no longer exists.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..I checked both the ANA tool and Continental site - OZ has availability for all of us in Biz via SEA. Problem is United appears to have Starnet blocked the seats because UA says it's not available..
There's definitely no *Net blocking and agent-blindness for a GS.

How many seats does the UA agent see?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, American Platinum
Originally Posted by weero
There's definitely no *Net blocking and agent-blindness for a GS.

How many seats does the UA agent see?
There definitely IS *Net blocking for GS - at least this evidence seems to suggest that there is. Agent sees 0 seats. ANA and Continental web sites see 3 seats.

I tried breaking the ticket into two one ways, but because I originally booked it as a rt, GS line says they have to cancel the whole itin and rebook. There is no way to break the rt itin into two one ways without risking a loss of the confirmed return award space.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 4:56 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
There definitely IS *Net blocking for GS - at least this evidence seems to suggest that there is. Agent sees 0 seats. ANA and Continental web sites see 3 seats...
Running out of miles is indeed a problem here - maybe you should buy some to create a buffer?

There are gazillions of other non-*Net blocking related reasons why the agent see a different availability than you do.
Most of these cases come into existence because there is more than one routing to reach the destination and the system stops searching very early.

I encountered that numerous times and the way to go about it is to reserve the award in chunks the system digests. Say I needed SIN-ZRH, the SQ nonstop is ineligible for *A inventory - hence I'd book SIN-BKK-ZRH but calling gives me no availability. Hence I book BKK-ZRH, then add SN-BKK, in coach if necessary.

This happens to me also when calling SQ or LH for an award .. it's the stupidity of the systems, not an intentional blocking.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MPVG
Originally Posted by IADtoWhere
Probably just an incompetent or lazy agent. You'll probably have better luck if you call back.
Might have been. Called back a few days later and was able to book the TG flights I was after. Unclear to me whether it was blocking or something else.

Originally Posted by mre5765
You've linked your 1pass and M+ accounts right? So transfer the required miles from your M+ account to your 1pass account and then you can book those TG flights via 1pass.@:-)
Not when trying to change a segment of an already-booked award ticket on UA stock. But it's a good point generally, and it's the approach I took to book my (separate PNR) award for this same route. Do love the CO booking site, despite a few quirks/issues.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Searching for HKG-NRT in January. ANA tool/CO site show seats on the non-stop 737, but UA says they don't see any seats on the CO flight. I know I can book through CO, but I found it strange that UA would not be able to see it..

Strange to see this. I've never had issues finding award seats.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Same thing HKG-BKK on 12/26. UA agents see no availablity, but ANA and CO websites show plenty of options.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 6:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Just booked IAD-FRA-ZRH-NRT no problem. Working on a return now...
Old Sep 12, 2011, 2:08 am

Programs: AMEX PL, Avis First, AA GLD
So...I've done a Google search and a search on FT, but we all know how the search works. So, I was wondering, what is StarNet and furthermore, what's StarNet blocking. Yes, I know this seems like a very idiotic question, but it's still a question nonetheless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.