Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Washington Times - United Admits to StarNet Blocking!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Washington Times - United Admits to StarNet Blocking!

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2011, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by CASAFlyer
A possible solution is to transfer some miles to your CO OnePass account (if you don't have one create it and link it to your MP one). Them book on CO. I did that to grab a LH flight a month or so ago.

Of course, if you're starting from scratch. Not possible if you're altering an already established booking... and a one way award at that.
Old May 16, 2011, 4:37 am

Programs: UA 1K / CO PLT
Just attempted to book SFO-NRT-HKG on NH F.... I confirmed the availability on ANA website, but the 1K agent could only see economy. NRT-HKG portion only has business available, not first (since it's 2-class) I guess I will try to call them again later closer to departure date, but I guess this shows Starnet blocking is still available. It's one-way, so I cannot use CO either. On the other hand, I snatched SFO-HKG nonstop on UA F for 2 days later, so it's not the end of the world. Grr.
Old May 16, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
No problem for me when I tried to book JFK-FRA-ZRH-BKK-HKG on LH/LX/TG traveling next month. Availability seem to match that of ANA tool.
Old May 16, 2011, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saaws
Just attempted to book SFO-NRT-HKG on NH F.... I confirmed the availability on ANA website, but the 1K agent could only see economy. NRT-HKG portion only has business available, not first (since it's 2-class) I guess I will try to call them again later closer to departure date, but I guess this shows Starnet blocking is still available. It's one-way, so I cannot use CO either. On the other hand, I snatched SFO-HKG nonstop on UA F for 2 days later, so it's not the end of the world. Grr.
Could it be that ANA offers more availability to their own members? I don't know the answer to that question, but it sounds like a viable alternative to the *Net blocking theory.
Old May 16, 2011, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saaws
...... but I guess this shows Starnet blocking is still available ......
Like your wording as Starnet becoming "available" again.
Old May 16, 2011, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K / CO PLT
I called UA 1K line today again, and this time I used a different approach. I asked about SFO-NRT first, then the agent said F was available, then I started my dance but tried to stay calm, and then asked about a connection to Hong Kong which only has 2 cabin. Now SFO-NRT F on ANA, 18 hour layover, NRT-HKG J on ANA. Then 3 days in HKG, then to HKG-IST-LAX on TK Y+. My very first redemption on a foreign carrier on F! ^
Old May 16, 2011, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nov11
No problem for me when I tried to book JFK-FRA-ZRH-BKK-HKG on LH/LX/TG traveling next month. Availability seem to match that of ANA tool.
My experience last week was Europe to Asia on TG no problem. It was only intra-Asia, and only for Saturday May 14. The 13th and 15th were wide open. I hadn't been looking outside those days so can't comment on that further.

I had no problem with any availability TPAC, TATL, intra-Europe or Europe-Asia on any carriers.
Old May 16, 2011, 6:09 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by dsquared37
My experience last week was Europe to Asia on TG no problem. It was only intra-Asia, and only for Saturday May 14. The 13th and 15th were wide open. I hadn't been looking outside those days so can't comment on that further.
FWIW, I had a similar experience last week. UA was blocking all (10+) domestic TG flights on the route I needed on the 14th, but the 15th was wide open.

Luckily Aeroplan had no problems finding space ^
Old May 16, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Grrrrr... I understand (almost) how United blocks award seat on cool airlines, but not when they do it on "themselves" aka Continental. On Continental.com there were award seats available on a EWR-CPH flight, but I wasn't able to book it with my Untied miles.
Old May 16, 2011, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Erasmus
FWIW, I had a similar experience last week. UA was blocking all (10+) domestic TG flights on the route I needed on the 14th, but the 15th was wide open.

Luckily Aeroplan had no problems finding space ^
I was trying to amend an already booked UA itin. Couldn't go anywhere else.

I just couldn't figure out why the 14th was blocked for TG flights but all other days were wide open. And only intra Asia.
Old May 17, 2011, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA, AS, WN
I haven't been keeping up with the UA/CO combined forums lately (I switched to AA this year...), however are UA and CO using separate "systems" to find award availability/issue award tickets? (I assume so)... Case in point--

This morning I called both UA and CO to look for 2 J tickets from PDX-ZRH and MUC-PDX in November over Thanksgiving. I first checked availability on EF and surprisingly found it. Being a GS/former UA guy, I naturally called UA first. What didn't surprise me was the fact that UA showed nothing available. What DID surprise me was when I called CO and they found availability in on UA/AC/LH. What gives? I went ahead and transferred the miles needed from UA to CO and then booked it.
Old May 24, 2011, 6:17 pm

I am new to the site, but have found it very useful in the past. The UA Starnet blocking situation, however, prompted me to register.

I currently live in HKG and wanted to fly to FRA in October. As a UA Gold member I clearly wanted to use my miles. Checking on UA's website, however, the only option was for me to fly HKG - SFO - FRA (on UA metal, of course), taking approximately 29 hours to fly 3/4 of the way around the world, for 175,000 miles for a "standard" award economy ticket. All of this even though LH has several options to fly from HKG to FRA, either directly or through Munich or Zurich. Or, Thai also flies to FRA via BKK.

I then checked CO's website and it gave me the option to fly directly from HKG to FRA on LH, taking approximately 12 hours, for 80,000 miles for a "saver" award economy ticket. In fact, every single day for the month of October offered "saver" award tickets from HKG - FRA on LH.

United really has become a crappy company. I remember back in the 90's I stopped flying United because it was such a horrible company - even though I lived in a UA hub (DEN). I would fly thousands of miles out of my way not to fly UA. UA then really turned things around and became, in my opinion, one of the best American carriers out there. It's a shame that they have fallen back to the bad old days. Unfortunately, as an American living in HKG, UA has some of the best flight options for me to get back to DEN, so for the time being it looks like I'm stuck with them, but I would drop them in a heartbeat if there was a better option. In the meantime I guess I'd better transfer my UA miles to my CO account before they institute UA's policies!
Old May 24, 2011, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by heffa
Grrrrr... I understand (almost) how United blocks award seat on cool airlines, but not when they do it on "themselves" aka Continental. On Continental.com there were award seats available on a EWR-CPH flight, but I wasn't able to book it with my Untied miles.
You do know of the immediate transfer tools now between UA and CO, correct? Submit a request to transfer miles from UA to CO and I believe they are transferred immediately. Then you can use them immediately to book a CO ticket with those miles.

-RM
Old May 24, 2011, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mb96sll
I am new to the site, but have found it very useful in the past. The UA Starnet blocking situation, however, prompted me to register.

I currently live in HKG and wanted to fly to FRA in October. As a UA Gold member I clearly wanted to use my miles. Checking on UA's website, however, the only option was for me to fly HKG - SFO - FRA (on UA metal, of course), taking approximately 29 hours to fly 3/4 of the way around the world, for 175,000 miles for a "standard" award economy ticket. All of this even though LH has several options to fly from HKG to FRA, either directly or through Munich or Zurich. Or, Thai also flies to FRA via BKK.

I then checked CO's website and it gave me the option to fly directly from HKG to FRA on LH, taking approximately 12 hours, for 80,000 miles for a "saver" award economy ticket. In fact, every single day for the month of October offered "saver" award tickets from HKG - FRA on LH.
Be an educated flyer. You are jumping to conclusions that won't stand up upon inspection. Looking online is not where you'll find the vast majority of award space... especially on UA's site: .bomb.

You need to call. CO's site shows more *A airlines, but still isn't the oracle of award space.

United really has become a crappy company. I remember back in the 90's I stopped flying United because it was such a horrible company - even though I lived in a UA hub (DEN). I would fly thousands of miles out of my way not to fly UA. UA then really turned things around and became, in my opinion, one of the best American carriers out there. It's a shame that they have fallen back to the bad old days. Unfortunately, as an American living in HKG, UA has some of the best flight options for me to get back to DEN, so for the time being it looks like I'm stuck with them, but I would drop them in a heartbeat if there was a better option. In the meantime I guess I'd better transfer my UA miles to my CO account before they institute UA's policies!
Upon what are you basing this rant? There are certainly reasons why many of us feel UA has taken steps backwards, but you don't profer any reason other than emotion.
Old May 24, 2011, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC

Will try and save the snark since its you're first post (welcome!) - but I'm guessing you're only looking at the results on the United tab - look to the right for the Star Alliance tab and you'll likely see the results CO gave you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.