Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Dreaded Fruit and Cheese Plate

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2008, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
The Dreaded Fruit and Cheese Plate

I would like to state that domestic 2 class F service has become quite abysmal at non meal times. United's favorite choice is the dreaded fruit and cheese plate which is simply inedible and gross. The F cabin was even served this on a night flight returning from Hawaii to the US mainland as the only meal. In contrast, the daytime HNL flight at least had good fish and chicken offerings. Would others please chime in? Thanks.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Not what you want to hear, but I like the fruit and cheese plate! Add a little port, and I sleep well!
Old Sep 3, 2008, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Actually, they have recently changed the fruit plate to the deli plate. Essentially the fruit plate + a couple slices of ham and turkey (going with CO's recent enhancement of their snacks). I had it over the weekend. It wasn't that bad.

The rule of thumb is to always low fat meal during snack flights to receive the chicken plate.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 4:16 pm

Smile

I decided awhile back that all FC gets you is a slightly larger seat and a bit more leg room. I have now taken to eating before the flight or bringing my own something on board. And when I bring my own I usually get looks of envy from those around me!
Old Sep 3, 2008, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by chitownflyer
I would like to state that domestic 2 class F service has become quite abysmal at non meal times. United's favorite choice is the dreaded fruit and cheese plate which is simply inedible and gross. The F cabin was even served this on a night flight returning from Hawaii to the US mainland as the only meal. In contrast, the daytime HNL flight at least had good fish and chicken offerings. Would others please chime in? Thanks.
This is news? This has been the case for quite some time -- years, in fact!

Personally, I haven't found the fruit and cheese plate to be inedible and gross at all. However, it is rather repetitious -- luckily, they sometimes add a few slices of deli meat (as mentioned by Bliss above) for a little variety.

Considering all the other changes made RECENTLY (last few months), this issue would come pretty close to the bottom of my list of things to complain about with UA.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Starbucks Gold
I actually enjoy the new fruit/deli plate. It's a light meal, relatively healthy (skip the cheese if you must) and has always been fresh and tasty in my experience. I understand it's not worth nearly what an F ticket or upgrade costs, but then again no meal would be on any airline.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 4:40 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by chitownflyer
once confimred in f and at least 48 hours out, you could always request a low fat (LFML) meal
Old Sep 3, 2008, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by goalie
once confimred in f and at least 48 hours out, you could always request a low fat (LFML) meal
I believe it's 24 hr and have already mentioned in my previous post.

http://www.united.com/page/middlepag...,51499,00.html
Old Sep 3, 2008, 4:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I like the fruit and cheese plate.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 4:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by izzik
Me too.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by izzik
It not too bad...could be worse.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
This is news? This has been the case for quite some time -- years, in fact!

Personally, I haven't found the fruit and cheese plate to be inedible and gross at all. However, it is rather repetitious -- luckily, they sometimes add a few slices of deli meat (as mentioned by Bliss above) for a little variety.

Considering all the other changes made RECENTLY (last few months), this issue would come pretty close to the bottom of my list of things to complain about with UA.
I agree...the red-eyes have had the fruit/cheese plate for a LONG time...I recently had it on the SFO-IAD red-eye (longer than SFO-HNL btw) and thoroughly enjoyed it...especially with the addition of the cold cuts...how can it be "inedible" when it's just fruit, cheese, and cold cuts...they didn't do anything to it to make it inedible, it's very simplistic and frankly A LOT healthier than the prepackaged snack foods being sold in the back. Frankly, I've never had anything in UA F that I didn't eat but I suppose if you haven't been in Y for awhile, one could become a bit picky...lol
Old Sep 3, 2008, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, SAS Diamond
Yuck. You can have mine if you want.
Old Sep 3, 2008, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
In most of my experience, the fruit is stale and the cheese is also bad, so this is why I do not care for this snack. If I do order the low fat meal, will I likely receive a chicken plate?
Old Sep 3, 2008, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Hyatt Globalist
Don't like it either ... I'll pick through the fruit at most, but usually just put in/on ear plugs and eye shades and try to get some sleep.

... but as another poster said, this is near the bottom of my list of problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.