Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on leaving United

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:36 pm

Programs: Random acts of kindness and senseless beauty
Originally Posted by GBGFlyer
800-221-6903 (baggage) doesn't give any options other than India.

The call center says that they have repeatedly tried calling Dulles Airport over the past 48 hours and get no answer. You mean that there is no Operations guy with a blackberry/pager/e-mail at Dulles?

The bag has missed 4 flights from Dulles to Morgantown over the past 48 hours. Something isn't quite right.

Where is the accountability? The Morgantown airport says its all Dulles. No one is accountable for getting me my bag.

Oh and don't get me started on the DEQM program...
If you are a 1K, you can bypass calling the baggage # by calling the number for 1K reservations and they are supposed to handle any questions/problems you have. They have sometimes passed me to other departments but never to India.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA-1K-MM AA-EXP-MM
AA may not be the best solution

Morgantown is a 27 minute flight from Dulles or a 2+ hour drive. Or to my house from Dulles is a 3 hour drive.
I hope you find a better time on AA but having about 1.5 million miles on each, I would tell you they really are about the same. You can get a run of good luck or bad luck on either. I'd suggest that in making a carrier decision, you may want to be most concerned about route network. If Dulles is going to be your primary airport, AA isn't a great choice. It looks like PIT is closer. Perhaps given your location you should not be loyal to any one airline, but merely take the best deal for each trip. Just a thought. Good Luck.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by UncleDude
You dont need E+ on American they have more First Seats for Comp Upgrades...Only One Y Flight on American in 6 years and that was an exit seat with 50 inches of Leg Room. When TED arrived at Orlando, I left..Best move I ever made.
What then are you doing on the UA forum???
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I'm going American from now on.
Are you doing a challenge with AA or have you arranged a comp? It's a long road to EXP, but you'll find most of us flying AA at that level are very happy.

Originally Posted by weezl
What then are you doing on the UA forum???
You'll find many FTers that are former UA flyers post here. There's no requirement that you have to currently fly UA. I tend to post on topics where AA is mentioned, as it is in this thread.

Originally Posted by 777-DCA
If you gain EXP (the same level as 1K) you don't have to worry about how many upgrades you have in your account.
On the other hand, if you're trying to upgrade a spouse or partner, have your credit card ready, as you no longer accumulate 500 milers in account to sponsor others.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 23, 2008 at 8:47 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Jun 23, 2008, 6:35 am

I would never, and indeed have never, ever booked a TATL Coach Ticket without checking first that there is Upgrade Space, with which I could use one of my 8, Repeat 8 E-VIPS. And Unlike UA I can use my E-VIPS on the lowest fare bookable on aa.com and I also only need one when I fly, DUB-ORD-MIA-GRU unlike UA which I understand would require 2 when traveling on 2 Intercons.

As I said before I have only flown coach Once in the past 6 years with AA [2 years as PLT - 4 years as EXP] on a DFW-LAS,..and even then the Elite members get Coach Exit Row seats hence my 50 inches of leg-room travelling seat 9F.

Whichever moron at United thought that anybody buying a First Class ticket from Florida to Tokyo would consider flying Y+ on TED domestically should be back in marketing at Woolworth.
Hello. Sorry you are thinking about going to AA, your choice of course. I would just add that A) TED is going away as of next year and B) enjoy those tight little seats in coach at AA if you don't get the exit row. I don't think you are guaranteed an exit row are you? I won't say that United doesn't need improvements, it does. But, I do think E+ is something you won't find on AA, and with my two cancellations on them myself the last two times I flew them, they are far from perfect as well. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver

Whichever moron at United thought that anybody buying a First Class ticket from Florida to Tokyo would consider flying Y+ on TED domestically should be back in marketing at Woolworth.
I suspect that more travel between Florida and Tokyo is originated by visitors from Japan and not the other way around. And I suspect that as compared to say IAD to Tokyo, fewer such people actually buy F, and instead travel in F on upgrades, or *A award travel. The free market is demanding LCCs into and out of Florida. Since the free market rejected uniTED's realization of an LCC, as a result expect fewer seats per day on UA or UX flights to and and from Florida each day. Expect instead to fly on CO code shares. But if it is UX, you might get upgrades into ex-plus jets.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 8:26 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

If you are going to leave UA, why bother with another legacy carrier? If the day comes when I give up on UA, I'm going to embrace jetBlue, Virgin America and Southwest and forget about the upgrades and free meals. I think I often forget about the main objective of air travel: to get to one's destination quickly and on-time. The wider seats, free drinks and food are fun but are quickly offset by arriving at one's destination 6 hours late.

For overseas travel, I would focus on the least-expensive foreign airline.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG PLAT, HH DIA, MR, UA 1k
Aa

AA is giving me platinum status for 90 days and I get to keep Plat if I fly 10K in 90 days.

What I really want out of United is a way to donate these unused upgrades to make a wish or some charity so these can be used.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 8:43 am

Programs: AA EXP. HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
B) enjoy those tight little seats in coach at AA if you don't get the exit row. I don't think you are guaranteed an exit row are you?
You are not guaranteed and exit row, but being Platinum the past 2 years and Gold the 3 years before that, I've gotten them 90% of the time I flew on my original flight (if you try standby your chances decrease to about 50-50).

To some degree, I am sure the grass is always greener on the other side, I've been not super thrilled with AA as of late and have looked at other airlines to fly, but when it comes down to it, AA has the best schedule from where I live to where I go ... so I'm staying on AA ... but if I switched to another airlines, I am sure there would be things that I liked better on AA.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG PLAT, HH DIA, MR, UA 1k
The Story gets even better...

I get a call on my home voice mail that my bag arrived in Morgantown at 1pm this afternoon. Realizing that I am about 5 miles closer to Pittsburgh International airport (59 vs 54 miles), Morgantown airport decided to send the bag back to Dulles and then to Pittsburgh.

Why didn't they do this in the first place from Dulles? I would have gotten my bag Saturday. As it stands it will be 4 days.

No wonder WV people have the reputation of being crossbred.

I want miles out of this so I can donate them!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.