Advice on leaving United

Old Jun 22, 08, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG PLAT, HH DIA, MR, UA 1k
Advice on leaving United

I've had my last straw with United screwups.

They keep giving me e-upgrades. I have 15 of these things just for bad customer service. Can they be donated to charity? Now that they don't turn into miles they are useless to me. Any ideas?

I'm going American from now on.

Last edited by GBGFlyer; Jun 22, 08 at 7:39 pm Reason: Sorry mis typed leaving....
Old Jun 22, 08, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Ta-ta!
Old Jun 22, 08, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I'm sure things will be MUCH better at American. They never piss anyone off.
Old Jun 22, 08, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP | UA Million Miler Gold (former decade-long 1K) | SPG Plat | Hyatt Plat | Avis Chairman
Based on the responses so far, I'm thinking if I was the OP, I wouldn't hold my breath for a lot of empathy with this post!

Actually, the only reason I only looked here was because I thought the thread had something to do with UA's new config "lavs."
Old Jun 22, 08, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL status lost across the board.
Since you seem annoyed by upgrades not clearing...

Good luck with them on American.

American doesn't have E+.

Just my 2 cents.
Old Jun 22, 08, 8:01 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by Wainwright View Post
Since you seem annoyed by upgrades not clearing...

Good luck with them on American.

American doesn't have E+.

Just my 2 cents.

You dont need E+ on American they have more First Seats for Comp Upgrades...Only One Y Flight on American in 6 years and that was an exit seat with 50 inches of Leg Room. When TED arrived at Orlando, I left..Best move I ever made.
Old Jun 22, 08, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by GBGFlyer View Post
I've had my last straw with United screwups.

They keep giving me e-upgrades. I have 15 of these things just for bad customer service. Can they be donated to charity? Now that they don't turn into miles they are useless to me. Any ideas?

Since no one else has bitten, I will answer your question re: the e-upgrades.

If you are talking about the e-500 upgrades, then there really isn't anything you can do with them. If you didn't get grandfathered into the expiry->miles clause a couple years ago then as you noted they will not convert into miles.

If you have CR-1's and/or SWU's then you may look into offering them in the Coupon Connection for some AA goodies.

Good luck with the dAArkside.

Craig
Old Jun 22, 08, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by UncleDude View Post
You dont need E+ on American they have more First Seats for Comp Upgrades...Only One Y Flight on American in 6 years and that was an exit seat with 50 inches of Leg Room. When TED arrived at Orlando, I left..Best move I ever made.
I'm sure you'd feel the same way when your TATL upgrade didn't clear and you are stuck with 30" of pitch.
Old Jun 22, 08, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Leaving

Does this sound familiar?

Over the past 60 days - I have been given 5 3000 mile certs for screwups in first class.

I had to pay $650 for 2 upgrade packs since it didn't recognize me as elite on check-in.

In 30 days my luggage was lost twice, I'm still waiting this last time. Its supposedly been at Dulles for the past 3 days.

The United voice reponse system does not recognize Morgantown, WV. It either forces me to Norfolk or Dulles. plus, the Indian call center doesn't seem to know that Morgantown is a 27 minute flight from Dulles or a 2+ hour drive. Or to my house from Dulles is a 3 hour drive.

I grew up flying on United. We shouldn't have to put up with this treatment. I know American won't be perfect and I am not asking for perfect. All I want to to get from point A to Point B with my luggage. I do not like being lied to, but that is all this airline knows how to do.

Maybe this is because I'm a former Marriott employee that was brainwashed to satisfy and exceed expectations.
Old Jun 22, 08, 9:34 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion

I had to pay $650 for 2 upgrade packs since it didn't recognize me as elite on check-in.
Umm, not sure what happened here, but I don't see why you would need to go so far as actually buying the upgrade packs. Assuming you had the required upgrade certs in your account why did you not straighten out the situation with a CSR???

As to your other issues (luggage, first class problems, ICC), as frequent flyers we all lose at the game of airline roulette once in awhile. As a 1K I'm not sure why you're dealing with the ICC (unless its for web support).

This 1P had a pretty painless 12 or so months of flying on UA until last weekend when things went bad. It sucked, but I wrote an email, got some unexpected vouchers out of it and will undoubtedly be back on the UA pony again soon.

As I said before, good luck with AA, but remember that being an elite can really only entitle you to good customer service...it won't guarantee that you won't end up with a broken seat once in awhile, or some baggage donkey at IAD won't send your bags down the wrong chute.
Old Jun 22, 08, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
Good choice. ^

If you gain EXP (the same level as 1K) you don't have to worry about how many upgrades you have in your account.
Old Jun 22, 08, 9:45 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM

The United voice reponse system does not recognize Morgantown, WV. It either forces me to Norfolk or Dulles. plus, the Indian call center doesn't seem to know that Morgantown is a 27 minute flight from Dulles or a 2+ hour drive. Or to my house from Dulles is a 3 hour drive.
I think maybe if you had spoken up sooner, people here could have helped you. The things you mention above are avoidable, and lead me to believe you haven't been using your 1K status correctly, which has made you frustrated.

Not sure why you would pay for upgrade kits, and why your MP number was not linking to your reservations correctly -- this could be easily fixed I'm sure.

Also, as a 1K you would never be routed to the India call center, or have to experience the automated voice system to make reservations. But your 1K number has to be attached to the reservation, or you have to call the correct 1K 800 phone number.

Switching to AA will not make it better if you have the same problems with attaching your FF number/not knowing how to use the status! Maybe we can give you some help first, and another try, before you go?
Old Jun 22, 08, 10:13 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by dimramon View Post
I'm sure you'd feel the same way when your TATL upgrade didn't clear and you are stuck with 30" of pitch.
I would never, and indeed have never, ever booked a TATL Coach Ticket without checking first that there is Upgrade Space, with which I could use one of my 8, Repeat 8 E-VIPS. And Unlike UA I can use my E-VIPS on the lowest fare bookable on aa.com and I also only need one when I fly, DUB-ORD-MIA-GRU unlike UA which I understand would require 2 when traveling on 2 Intercons.

As I said before I have only flown coach Once in the past 6 years with AA [2 years as PLT - 4 years as EXP] on a DFW-LAS,..and even then the Elite members get Coach Exit Row seats hence my 50 inches of leg-room travelling seat 9F.

Whichever moron at United thought that anybody buying a First Class ticket from Florida to Tokyo would consider flying Y+ on TED domestically should be back in marketing at Woolworth.
Old Jun 22, 08, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Lowly Premier Executive

800-221-6903 (baggage) doesn't give any options other than India.

The call center says that they have repeatedly tried calling Dulles Airport over the past 48 hours and get no answer. You mean that there is no Operations guy with a blackberry/pager/e-mail at Dulles?

The bag has missed 4 flights from Dulles to Morgantown over the past 48 hours. Something isn't quite right.

Where is the accountability? The Morgantown airport says its all Dulles. No one is accountable for getting me my bag.

Oh and don't get me started on the DEQM program...
Old Jun 22, 08, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
800-221-6903 (baggage) doesn't give any options other than India.

The call center says that they have repeatedly tried calling Dulles Airport over the past 48 hours and get no answer. You mean that there is no Operations guy with a blackberry/pager/e-mail at Dulles?

The bag has missed 4 flights from Dulles to Morgantown over the past 48 hours. Something isn't quite right.

Where is the accountability? The Morgantown airport says its all Dulles. No one is accountable for getting me my bag.

Oh and don't get me started on the DEQM program...
If your home airport is MGW I hope you realize the only commercial service out of MGW is UX...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: