Community
Wiki Posts
Search

As Predicted - Mainline OAK-DEN Y no F

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2008, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Platium, SPG
Originally Posted by cstead
sorry, i'm more of a fluid dynamics guy, so I can only think in terms of hydraulic analogies
Conductance = Capillary action? RAR!

/Waddaya mean off-topic? I said RAR!
Old Jun 19, 2008, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Platium, SPG
Originally Posted by mre5765
That would be a body blow to a lot of elites who fly from IAD, DEN or ORD to SJC.

As for not a huge presence, neither do US, DL, JetBlue, Frontier, etc. Conceding SJC, would just be giving up ground to those plus SouthWest.
Maybe, but I don't see a lot of profit for UA to go to ancillary airports within 60mi of a major hub. If people want to flly IAD-SJC on WN, on a 737 (or B6 on an A320) with no chance of upgrade vs. flying IAD-SFO on UA on a 777 with a decent chance to upgrade but further from your ultimate destination, they are welcome to do so.

Even though SFO is the furthest of the three airports from my house, I prefer it because UA has more staff and more flights for better chance of getting assistance or accommodated during irrops. I will always get a jetway (those airstairs kill me with all the electronics I have to carry).

I know a guy who got really, really angry (I'll never fly UA again, angry) because he went to SJC to get a ticket issued as a non-elite, and was continually passed over by the one ticket agent because someone would always walk up to the priority line and he would get passed over. He is a WN guy, so I said, "Would you get a WN ticket issued at SFO? Then why would you go you SJC to get a UA ticket issued?"
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by cstead
I'm shocked that UA is even keeping OAK. Others are pulling out, and I have to imagine that its cheaper to just consolidate Bay Area flying to SFO.
Maybe so, but with all the capacity being cut in Oakland, it seems like one remaining legacy carrier might pick up the slack the others leave behind and be able to turn a profit doing it (just because of the lack of remaining choices available).

It sort of reminds me of when the Raiders and Rams both left Los Angeles at the same time. Either team likely would have been more profitable if they were the only team in town, but they both bailed out simultaneously.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Didn't they actually say in the NoTed announcement no reconfigurations until Spring 2009?
Did they say there would be one class (Y) mainline service?

-Cyborg
Old Jun 19, 2008, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
I wouldn't be so certain about your conclusion. Could be that UA is just being conservative in not knowing how long the reconfigs will take, and therefore is only selling Y for now in case they can't reconfigure in time.
Could this be the future of UA to offer 1 class "Ted" like service as mainline?

-Cyborg
Old Jun 19, 2008, 4:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by cyborg
Did they say there would be one class (Y) mainline service?
Not explicitly, but it's easily inferred.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Not explicitly, but it's easily inferred.
With all due respect, if its so easily inferred, please show me a reference to this on United's website.

-Cyborg
Old Jun 19, 2008, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
With all due respect, if its so easily inferred, please show me a reference to this on United's website.
Uh... "inferred" means that there is no reference; it is a conclusion drawn from the existing circumstantial evidence, which does not explicitly state anything but from which one may make an educated guess. If there were a reference, it wouldn't be an inference, it would be a known fact.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum
For a quick fix for F on Ted plane, just install a curtain between row 3 and 4. Voila! Just like the Intra-Europe F on European carriers.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I think I'll survive for the short 2 hour flight. Much better than sticking people with TED planes for 3-4 hours

At least UA still has service to OAK (unlike CO and AA). I guess UA figures F is a waste on this routing since WN doesn't offer it.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by HaeMaker
Maybe, but I don't see a lot of profit for UA to go to ancillary airports within 60mi of a major hub. If people want to flly IAD-SJC on WN, on a 737 (or B6 on an A320) with no chance of upgrade vs. flying IAD-SFO on UA on a 777 with a decent chance to upgrade but further from your ultimate destination, they are welcome to do so.
UA flies a lot of 757s out of SJC and so the chances for upgrades are immense. That 60 miles to SFO on highway 101 can be a killer at the wrong time of the day. If you've business in the south bay or lower east bay, you want SJC. I know lots of people who'd shrug and just fly WN, AA, DL, ... out of SJC if UA pulled. Personally, DEN/SJC accounts for a plethora of my segments, and I'd have question my loyality if forced to endure a drive to/from SFO from/to the southbay several times a month.

UA has COS, Rockford, BWI, DCA, LGA, JFK, EWR etc. and doesn't seem to have plans to close the minor presences.

My guess is that at worst, SJC ditches DEN and ORD service, and adds hourly service to SFO, keeping the 757 service to IAD. SFO would be a combination of UX and mainline.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by mre5765
My guess is that at worst, SJC ditches DEN and ORD service, and adds hourly service to SFO, keeping the 757 service to IAD. SFO would be a combination of UX and mainline.
United only very rarely operates a 757 on IAD-SJC. With the exception of a few Saturdays here and there, the route is almost always A319/A320.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Now it's Back to TED

Just noticed OAK-DEN for Fall shows A320 mainline flight with Y class only, no F. So its indeed a TED craft rebranded as mainline, but with same config as predicted by some on this site a while back

My condolences to all,

-Cyborg

Now it's back to a TED flight, was mainline Y only a couple of days ago. Now it shows TED flight. What really throws this off is the Aircraft type is 320, not 321 as TED flights were designated. All those little clues are going away...
Old Jun 20, 2008, 4:27 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT

Now it's back to a TED flight, was mainline Y only a couple of days ago. Now it shows TED flight. What really throws this off is the Aircraft type is 320, not 321 as TED flights were designated. All those little clues are going away...
Huggh? "321" is an Airbus 321 (flown by e.g. US). I seriously doubt that UA uses that distinction? can you post where they did that?

on a serious note, moving the seats and adding a devider would be fairly easy to do, out come three rows of E+, in go three banks of F seats, a divider, and then squeeze a few extra inches out by moving the rest of the seats back.

what is harder is what to do with meal service. TED has no ovens up front and the video equipement up in the oven spots.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by spin88
Huggh? "321" is an Airbus 321 (flown by e.g. US). I seriously doubt that UA uses that distinction? can you post where they did that?

on a serious note, moving the seats and adding a devider would be fairly easy to do, out come three rows of E+, in go three banks of F seats, a divider, and then squeeze a few extra inches out by moving the rest of the seats back.

what is harder is what to do with meal service. TED has no ovens up front and the video equipement up in the oven spots.
Meal service? The only thing I ever get on UA domestic now is a Coke and those mini packs of dime-sized pretzels. Big whoop.

I hate OAK but I fly into it because my sister goes to school in the East Bay and it's easier to get to than SFO or SJC, and I don't want to fly WN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.