Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United now moving passengers out of E+ when they lose status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United now moving passengers out of E+ when they lose status

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2008, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL GM, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold
I was in a similar situation as the OP. I received the 90 day temporary bump to 1P and was only at 49,725 at expiration before my flights yesterday. I also risked booking exit row seats and was lucky enough to keep them. Now I face the opposite situation and am curious to see if my status posts before my return trip Sunday.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:14 pm

Loss of Status and seat assignments

Hello!

We are doing an MSP-ORD-LAX-SYD-SFO-DEN-MSP trip in April. We are both currently 2p's but are going to lose status at the end of January. We already have seats reserved in E+.

What will happen between now and April? I tried to read the 2p info and it seems to say that having status allows you to -select- E+ seats, not sit in them. Thus, because we already selected the seats, will the assignment stick?

It would be awful to get bumped back to E- the day of the flight and get stuck in a terrible E- seat...

I'd prefer not to buy the E+ option because we'll have enough miles after the trip to qualify anyways...

Thanks for your advice!
Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by phranticaw
We are both currently 2p's but are going to lose status at the end of January. We already have seats reserved in E+.

What will happen between now and April?
Actually, you keep your status until the end of February, but that doesn't help you with this trip. You may get lucky and keep your seats, but that seems like plenty of time for a sweep to knock you out of E+.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Agreed

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Actually, you keep your status until the end of February, but that doesn't help you with this trip. You may get lucky and keep your seats, but that seems like plenty of time for a sweep to knock you out of E+.
When you check in, they will probably re-assign you to E-, unfortunately. This happened to someone I know.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
I thought the status at time of ticketing was the deciding factor... Isn't this why pax who's status has upgraded between ticketing and flights have to call Res. and have their number deleted and re-entered in the system? Unless something has changed recently, the OP should be OK as long as they don't change the reservation.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by PremExecSNA
I thought the status at time of ticketing was the deciding factor...
No, you really need continuous status to ensure you keep the seat.

Isn't this why pax who's status has upgraded between ticketing and flights have to call Res. and have their number deleted and re-entered in the system?
That hasn't been true since sometime in 2007.

the OP should be OK as long as they don't change the reservation.
That's only one way to lose the seat. There are also random sweeps, as well as equipment changes and schedule changes that can cause him to lose E+.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:33 pm

I thought the status at time of ticketing was the deciding factor... Isn't this why pax who's status has upgraded between ticketing and flights have to call Res. and have their number deleted and re-entered in the system? Unless something has changed recently, the OP should be OK as long as they don't change the reservation.
It will last when you keep checking the "view itineraries", but when you check in, they will demote you. This has happened to someone I know (i.e. me).
Old Jan 7, 2009, 9:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
It will last when you keep checking the "view itineraries", but when you check in, they will demote you. This has happened to someone I know (i.e. me).
did you check in online or at the airport? I'm doubting .bomb is smart enough to demote during OLCI?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Ripper3785
did you check in online or at the airport? I'm doubting .bomb is smart enough to demote during OLCI?
On line. I was in E+, then, as I checked in, it said, "Do you want to purchase economy plus for xx dollars?" Very painful.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 10:44 pm

Programs: United Airlines 1K MM, Hilton Honors Gold
E + problems

Even if you have maintained status, you run the risk of having your seats moved to E-. Happened to my kids twice over the holidays. (schedule change and equipment change). Both kids premier. I would keep checking and calling.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 2:04 am

Programs: Some, not all.
For 18000 miles/38 hours of travel I'd say $349 for E+ access is the way to go. Especially as $349 gets both you access to E+ seating.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
I would not risk it. Just buy the E+ access to be safe. There are sweeps that happen often now and chances are you will get caught.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 7:45 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
That hasn't been true since sometime in 2007.
The problem is not fully resolved.

I've had to call MP to remove/readd my MP # to all existing itineraries after status upgrade in 6/08.

There are reports of people in the 2009 GS thread that are still having this issue (1/09).
Old Jan 8, 2009, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1P, HH DMD, SPG PLT, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by phranticaw
Hello!

We are doing an MSP-ORD-LAX-SYD-SFO-DEN-MSP trip in April. We are both currently 2p's but are going to lose status at the end of January. We already have seats reserved in E+.

What will happen between now and April? I tried to read the 2p info and it seems to say that having status allows you to -select- E+ seats, not sit in them. Thus, because we already selected the seats, will the assignment stick?

It would be awful to get bumped back to E- the day of the flight and get stuck in a terrible E- seat...

I'd prefer not to buy the E+ option because we'll have enough miles after the trip to qualify anyways...

Thanks for your advice!
My experience is from March 2008. I went from 1K to GM on Feb 29. My flight on 3/1 was unaffected, however, the return flight 2 weeks later got me bumped back to E-. What I heard was that there was a sweep around midnight CST between 3/1 and 3/2 that knocked everyone who no longer had status in the system back into E-. That information was learned by calling into United and talking to a CSR, so I don't know for sure that it's true, but I can definitely see UA doing something like that.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by jcasner
I don't know for sure that it's true, but I can definitely see UA doing something like that.
I don't know if it's true either, but if they did do it, I am pleased. Maintaining the integrity of E+ for those who are entitled to it - either via money or status or whatever - is a reasonable thing to do, IMO.

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.