Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drink carts gone from shorthaul

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2008, 9:29 am
dll
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Drink carts gone from shorthaul

I have noticed on the last 4-5 737 segments SFO-LAX and return that they stopped using drink carts for beverage service - they come through the cabin with trays of OJ and water and offer those as they as what you'd like to drink.

IE, "would you like a glass of orange juice or water?" If you answer, "actually, may I have a diet coke instead?" they write it down and go retrieve it from the galley some time in the future. This is the way that WN has done their drink service for some time.

I asked the FA on the last segment if it was a service change and sure enough, he said that it is a change for the shorthaul beverage only flights. Seems reasonable enough to me - I rarely get anything other than a glass of water and it's nice not having the drink cart block the aisle for 75% of a short flight if you want to visit the lavatory. I am sure there is a cost reduction reason in there somewhere, too.

Anyone else noticed this?
Old May 27, 2008, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You sure this is not just a case of ex-Shuttle planes? That's what it sounds like to me, especially since we're talking about 737's...
Old May 27, 2008, 9:35 am
dll
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
That's what I thought, but last night's -300 had ovens in the forward galley and was mainline (not ex-SH), which is why I asked them. I now realize, BTW, that the thread title is a bit misleading - the drink carts are there, but the drink service FROM the cart has been modified. Carts remain stowed.

Haven't been on a s/h Airbus or 757 flight recently that didn't have BOB, so don't know if it's fleetwide (sort of doubt it or someone would have spoken up).
Old May 27, 2008, 9:43 am

I noticed this too on a recent 737-300 flight between MCI and DEN. I chalked it up to dumping excess weight off the plane to save fuel.
Old May 27, 2008, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K (woohoo), SPG Gold, HH Diamond, MR Silver, Avis Worst, National Exec Elite; Destinations Many
I had this on a recent 737 from ORD - BUF. Water, OJ and Coffee only. Of course they still had beer if you wanted it
Old May 27, 2008, 10:27 am

I tried to search for this but couldn't find it. In a recent thread on how UA could save money, someone mentioned eliminating the carts which are quite heavy, to save money on fuel. Could some UA employee be reading FT and then put suggestions into the suggestion box for which they are rewarded?
It wouldn't surprise me. FastAir, United Skies was that you?
Old May 27, 2008, 10:30 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
You sure this is not just a case of ex-Shuttle planes? That's what it sounds like to me, especially since we're talking about 737's...
I don't believe any of the SFO-LAX / LAX-SFO trips are ex-shuttle.
Old May 27, 2008, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brattflyer
I tried to search for this but couldn't find it. In a recent thread on how UA could save money, someone mentioned eliminating the carts which are quite heavy, to save money on fuel. Could some UA employee be reading FT and then put suggestions into the suggestion box for which they are rewarded?
It wouldn't surprise me. FastAir, United Skies was that you?
Wouldn't the cart still be necessary to store all the trays of cans? All drinks are rolled onto the airplane from the catering truck in beverage carts - and airplanes generally have nowhere to store loose cans or the plastic cart inserts if there's no cart. Carts are heavy, but the carts are the storage cabinets for cans of beverages.
Old May 27, 2008, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Noticed that on LAS to SFO too
Old May 27, 2008, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by karung99
Noticed that on LAS to SFO too
May 15/18 Ted was still using carts to distribute cups of beverages. At least on my flights on that route.
Old May 27, 2008, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 2P, CX MPC, CO
On Saturday, DEN-YVR, there were no drink carts. FAs would go through the aisle, asking each person what they wanted, then go back to the galley and bring the cans and cups of ice on trays. No limited selection (though they did come back later with water, OJ, coffee) but no drink cart either, and 2 FAs repeatedly running back to the galley after taking each row's orders.
Old May 27, 2008, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hemispheric
On Saturday, DEN-YVR, there were no drink carts. FAs would go through the aisle, asking each person what they wanted, then go back to the galley and bring the cans and cups of ice on trays. No limited selection (though they did come back later with water, OJ, coffee) but no drink cart either, and 2 FAs repeatedly running back to the galley after taking each row's orders.
They have used old Shuttle planes on that route.
Old May 27, 2008, 2:43 pm
dll
Original Poster

I will also add here that the trays they were using were specially designed for drink distribution - looks like they hold 12 or so cups at a time and have recessed pockets where the drinks rest, a'la Southwest's system. Maybe they are standardizing to the lowest common denominator (ex-Shuttle) all 737 service and training requirements to the same level to reduce costs and confusion?
Old May 27, 2008, 3:00 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Originally Posted by hungarianhc
I don't believe any of the SFO-LAX / LAX-SFO trips are ex-shuttle.
I am pretty sure I was on an ex-shuttle 737-300 LAX-SFO this morning.
Old May 27, 2008, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
This was not the case on 4 SFO-LAX and reverse segments this weekend. Cart with drink of choice came by. Mix of 737s and 757s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.