Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

April 2008 - United/US Airways Merger Speculation and Discussion Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

April 2008 - United/US Airways Merger Speculation and Discussion Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:44 am

I'm at a complete loss on what this merger would bring that looks valuable. UA has no need for any of the US West flying. In fact, maybe they reduce PHX and LAS by another 50%, immediately retire all 737s and just use US for the East "assets". Certainly the CLT hub is interesting and UA could use the Airbus aircraft. However, both of these airlines have massive labor troubles. I think CO could have helped improve the labor situation, but this would only make it worse.

Any chance LH swoops in to buy their 25% (or whatever the current foreign ownership allowance is) and put in some competent management?
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:45 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, DL Gold
Reward Availability

As a USAir Dividend Miles member, this could only improve my chances of getting reward tickets. Right now, USAir ticket availability is the absolute worst.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 2p
I wonder what would happen with my USAir Bank of America debit card...would it become a UMP BoA debit card? That would be sweet! I love living in BOS/DCA right now...
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:50 am

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Originally Posted by Cdn007
As a USAir Dividend Miles member, this could only improve my chances of getting reward tickets. Right now, USAir ticket availability is the absolute worst.
although I have to say I just booked a 60k mile envoy r/t to Europe for next February - a great deal, but I doubt US will be flying CLT-PHL-MAN come February - in fact I see an "unsecured claim" in my future ....
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:57 am

Programs: VA Platinum / QF Platinum
UA + US = U-Haul

Last edited by marinersdave; Apr 28, 2008 at 11:05 am
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:58 am

Programs: SW A-List Preferred, DL Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
While I'm certainly not in love with the idea of UA merging with anyone, I could at least understand the rationale behind the UA/CO combo. I feel like a UA/US combo achieves few if any of those objectives.

1. Improve South American access. Continental has a strong SA route network; US has a few flights to Central America and the Caribbean. The routes held by US have significant overlap with existing UA routes.

2. Get a real NYC hub. I know US has a strong presence at LGA, and I don't want to minimize that, but the whole benefit of combining with CO was that you could have an international to domestic *A gateway at Newark. LGA has no international (sorry, Canada) flights.

3. Get a better management team. While Nonepass is quite underwhelming, the management team at CO has been pretty strong. I can't imagine a combination with US doesn't leave Tilton in charge, and I can guarantee you if Dougie is in charge, I'll be over to the dAArkside before the merger even closes.

4. Other geographic advantages. The CO combination had the benefit of providing the new airline with two strong new hubs in IAH and EWR. US has what I would characterize as hubs in PHL, LGA, PHX, and CLT, with a strong presence in LAS and BOS. I cannot possibly imagine any rationale whereby UAUS keeps a large presence in all four major East Coast cities, and although I certainly don't love IAD, I would imagine it would stay and PHL would shrink considerably, especially with the WN presence. In the West, UAUS would have PHX, LAS, DEN, LAX, and SFO. The most likely scenario for many reasons is to significantly shrink PHX, and move pax to the other hubs. I could also see the creation of a TED HUB in LAS with the HP Airbii and gates. In the end, you're really only keeping LGA and CLT out of the four US hubs.

I just think the rush to merge is idiotic from a business standpoint and from a customer relations standpoint.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by marinersdave
UA + US = U-Haul

More leg room with U-Haul...

Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kdinino
who would fly UA if they had the same route on B6 and you were both in Y?
Raises hand.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:09 am

Programs: VA Platinum / QF Platinum
Originally Posted by chicagorich
More leg room with U-Haul...

Same quality of rigs, too.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
The advantage is allowing more UA widebodies to go to Asia and let US metal handle Europe from the East Coast and perhaps even from ORD.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beanex
I believe anti-monopoly rules will not allow the 2 largest airline to merge (i.e. AA + UA), so that's out of the equation.
While you may be an expert in antitrust law, you've gotta admit that your post is somewhat conclusory. As in lacking any reasoning behind the conclusion.

Perhaps DOJ would require that an AA/UA combo divest itself of some assets (maybe some ORD and LGA gates and maybe some slots at LHR and NRT), but I don't think there's an automatic disqualification for any potential two-airline mergers right now. I may be mistaken, but I don't see a rubber-stamp denial of even AA and UA.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Plat., 1.52 MM
Question UA/US: Not so soon, no so sure

The AP reports, quoting an unidentified source the following cool-headed assessment:

The two carriers stepped up their talks after Continental Airlines Inc. caught United off guard by deciding not to pursue a deal with the UAL Corp.-owned carrier.

The source asked not to be named because of the sensitive nature of the talks. The timing of any agreement remains hard to predict, and either side also could pursue an alliance instead or simply walk away from a deal, as Continental did.

For one thing, the alliance already exists.
Second, US has been in talks with AA all that time...
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by PappaShacks
While I'm certainly not in love with the idea of UA merging with anyone, I could at least understand the rationale behind the UA/CO combo. I feel like a UA/US combo achieves few if any of those objectives.

1. Improve South American access. Continental has a strong SA route network; US has a few flights to Central America and the Caribbean. The routes held by US have significant overlap with existing UA routes.

2. Get a real NYC hub. I know US has a strong presence at LGA, and I don't want to minimize that, but the whole benefit of combining with CO was that you could have an international to domestic *A gateway at Newark. LGA has no international (sorry, Canada) flights.

3. Get a better management team. While Nonepass is quite underwhelming, the management team at CO has been pretty strong. I can't imagine a combination with US doesn't leave Tilton in charge, and I can guarantee you if Dougie is in charge, I'll be over to the dAArkside before the merger even closes.

4. Other geographic advantages. The CO combination had the benefit of providing the new airline with two strong new hubs in IAH and EWR. US has what I would characterize as hubs in PHL, LGA, PHX, and CLT, with a strong presence in LAS and BOS. I cannot possibly imagine any rationale whereby UAUS keeps a large presence in all four major East Coast cities, and although I certainly don't love IAD, I would imagine it would stay and PHL would shrink considerably, especially with the WN presence. In the West, UAUS would have PHX, LAS, DEN, LAX, and SFO. The most likely scenario for many reasons is to significantly shrink PHX, and move pax to the other hubs. I could also see the creation of a TED HUB in LAS with the HP Airbii and gates. In the end, you're really only keeping LGA and CLT out of the four US hubs.

I just think the rush to merge is idiotic from a business standpoint and from a customer relations standpoint.
I added the emphasis to the last line and couldn't agree more. Plus we're looking at even further labor demoralization and even poorer management. It seems that a merger with US would only be about short-term rewards for the airlines's managements in terms of buy-outs, etc. to US Air!

OK, now a brief break for the silver lining/wishful thinking segment of this post: There's a good chance that a merger with CO would have undercut many of the FF perks that make MP a far superior program to OnePass. It's not at all clear that the CO merger would have been worth those sacrifices.

End of silver lining segment: Of course there's no guarantee that MP won't deteriorate after a US merger, along with almost everything else about UA.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:37 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
End of silver lining segment: Of course there's no guarantee that MP won't deteriorate after a US merger, along with almost everything else about UA.
Well, the one nice thing about a USAir merger is that they have a lot of next-gen aircraft on order, including the A330, a bunch of Airbii twins, and Embraer 190s.

If they kept those orders, the fleet refresh aspect would be pretty nice. A big if, of course, but if UA dominates the merger, we keep all of UA's policies and maybe get some new planes out of the deal...
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:47 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by andrewwm
Well, the one nice thing about a USAir merger is that they have a lot of next-gen aircraft on order, including the A330, a bunch of Airbii twins, and Embraer 190s.

If they kept those orders, the fleet refresh aspect would be pretty nice. A big if, of course, but if UA dominates the merger, we keep all of UA's policies and maybe get some new planes out of the deal...
at least then UA could get rid of the 737 sh*ttles

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.