Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

[Unconfirmed] Flight Schedules for UA's 747-400 With New First and Business Seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Unconfirmed] Flight Schedules for UA's 747-400 With New First and Business Seats

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2008, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Weird stuff going on with the SFO-LHR 744 in early April. Yeaterday the LHR-SFO 744 on 4/7 was wide open in Y. Today all 0's. The 4/5 SFO-LHR 744 was the same, now all 0's. They may be thinking about trying that route.
I sincerely hope you're right....I'm booked on that flight on 4/7.....not going to hold my breath though!
Old Mar 30, 2008, 6:39 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA ExpPlat, Delta DM
The 747 failed th evacuation test, so now they(the design team) have to decide how to fix the problem.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by AirForce915
The 747 failed th evacuation test, so now they(the design team) have to decide how to fix the problem.
Uh, that is a BIG issue, no? I wonder if it is because of the VERY narrow aisles in the 8 across C class?? I get claustrophobic every time I just LOOK at the 747 C class new config.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I thought that was only a initial airframe qualification? Not each individual carriers layouts?
Old Mar 30, 2008, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GroundStop
I sincerely hope you're right....I'm booked on that flight on 4/7.....not going to hold my breath though!
Good decision. The 744 flights in early April SFO-LHR just opened up a lot more seats, so they aren't planning on using the new config on those. Likely something to do with the plane failing the evac test. So no London flights for now.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any clue what would cause it to fail over the previous configuration?
Old Mar 30, 2008, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
I thought that was only a initial airframe qualification? Not each individual carriers layouts?
Likely the new seats with the narrower aisle reduce the speed of evacuation. The seat layout is determined by the airlines, but the maximum evac times are set in stone. Can't exceed them or you don't fly.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Going from 2-3-2 in C to 2-4-2 perhaps? That can only equal narrower aisles.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
I don't understand how people could fail the evacuation test when it is only a test. It is not like their is some type of shock-delay reaction or anything. If this did happen, that's a huge blunder for UA. Even with narrower aisles, this should only effect the B zone and there still aren't that many people seated there with doors forward and aft to escape from. Hope the news is less serious than it sounds.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daron4000
I don't understand how people could fail the evacuation test when it is only a test. It is not like their is some type of shock-delay reaction or anything. If this did happen, that's a huge blunder for UA. Even with narrower aisles, this should only effect the B zone and there still aren't that many people seated there with doors forward and aft to escape from. Hope the news is less serious than it sounds.
Probably have to look up the details, but as I recall the test involves having up to half of the doors unavailable for evacuation, anticipating the possibility of fire blocking escape. So perhaps those narrower aisles impact that.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by blueman2
Uh, that is a BIG issue, no? I wonder if it is because of the VERY narrow aisles in the 8 across C class??
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Likely the new seats with the narrower aisle reduce the speed of evacuation.
Going from 2-3-2 in C to 2-4-2 perhaps? That can only equal narrower aisles.
So perhaps those narrower aisles impact that.
I can't go into specifics, but the width of the aisles is not a factor.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by C-5Crewdog
I can't go into specifics, but the width of the aisles is not a factor.
Perhaps not, but changing from 2-3-2 to 2-4-2, adding a seat to cross possibly added to the time, or created problems in the evac?
Old Mar 31, 2008, 2:17 am

Programs: UA MP
Perhaps not, but changing from 2-3-2 to 2-4-2, adding a seat to cross possibly added to the time, or created problems in the evac?
I would somehow guess that it's because the upper deck is losing one emergency exit, leaving it with one. If, during the test, it was ruled that the upper deck exit were inoperable, I think it would be fairly easy to fail the evacuation test.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 4:10 am

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Probably have to look up the details, but as I recall the test involves having up to half of the doors unavailable for evacuation, anticipating the possibility of fire blocking escape. So perhaps those narrower aisles impact that.

Believe you're right about meeting a fixed time with up to half the exits blocked. Actually participated in such an exercise many years ago. Looks like UA needs to be more selective when it chooses the "volunteers".

Also best to use junior flight attendants as that will speed up both the FA assistance part as well as the evac of the FAs themselves.

What's really interesting is I can't remember the last time anyone flunked an evac test.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 6:37 am

Perhaps the issue is also related to the fact that Y capacity has been increased as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.