Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United Business Class vs. Lufthansa Business Class [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Business Class vs. Lufthansa Business Class [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2009, 11:19 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
for further reference, just some of the many threads in the past six months on this
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...lufthansa.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-airbus-c.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-business.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...c-vs-lh-c.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ess-class.html
Old Sep 27, 2009, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
I just flew LH in F a couple of weeks ago MUC-IAD after boycotting them for a couple of years. The aircraft was still kept at the temperature of a warm oven and was miserable. Temperature settings alone will make me select another carrier.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Not so impressed with LH food

Although the general consensus here is that LH food tends to be better than UA's, I don't think it's that much better. When I flew UA to and LH back from Germany, I was much more impressed with UA's food than LH's. I was sadly disappointed with LH food. If you read some of people's recent trip reports on LH C, you'll see that the food probably has taken a nosedive, as was mentioned earlier.

I think the seat with the AVOD in the UA flight new configuration wins hands down. For me, this makes the experience. Watching the map, watching the movies, watching the documentaries. I can stop & start when the FA brings the food or I have to go to the restroom. I can stop it, go to sleep, then when I wake up, resume where I left off. It's just a great way to go. Personally, I think the new UA C configuration is just a wonderful experience.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by FLYDCA
I just flew LH in F a couple of weeks ago MUC-IAD after boycotting them for a couple of years. The aircraft was still kept at the temperature of a warm oven and was miserable. Temperature settings alone will make me select another carrier.
Oh believe me, I agree, but I am one of the handful of Germans not walking around crying 'es ZIEEEEHT!' And of course LH a few years ago 'upgraded' their C blankets to those even warmer quilted ones.

My last UA flight in C ORD-LHR was miserably warm though too.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA MM
Count me as another who remembered the food in LH in C in 2006 to be very good, while last week it was pretty meh. I like the LH wine glasses better, but on UA I get my wine in a tumbler which is even better for the reds (and I can't imagine trying to make that request on LH). I do like that they use glass pre-departure, but that's hardly important enough to influence a choice of flights (especially since I've usually had enough in the lounge to need a little break anyway! )

What really made me negative about LH service was on an overnight flight into FRA, although from the middle east rather than the US so I don't know if this was representative, they turned on all the cabin lights full blast in C around 90 minutes before arrival. To me, sleep is sacred, and while I had eyeshades on, full blast lights (which encouraged a lot of motion and noise around me in the cabin) killed my sleep. I have no idea why LH would do that. UA IME always keeps the cabin lights off until the last pre-landing check, even on daytime long-hauls, and I much prefer that.

Regarding the warm cabins and cultural issues... some of my colleagues used to open the windows where they sat when visiting our German office in the winter. The Germans who had to come into their offices for a chat would put on their winter coats before entering.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Platinum
Just did this recently, SFO-FRA in UA old C (777) and FRA-SFO on LH C (747). Schedule was the prevailing factor on SFO-FRA otherwise I would have chosen a flight with 744 equipment and hence close-to-guaranteed new C.

Advantages of the lie-flat seat notwithstanding, I actually found the service on UA slightly superior. Classic YMMV. Superior here is defined as more attentive, e.g. whenever I dozed off (to the extent possible in the old C seat ), I awoke to find my water glass filled. Yeah that's all it takes to qualify as "excellent service" in my book. I'm easy. Seriously, though, excellent UA crew on this flight. I saw quite a few GTEM's handed out.

My return on LH was my first on that carrier, and before making the trip I recall reading a thread that described the LH FA's as "robotic" or something of the sort, which gave me a chuckle at the time. However, I now understand the origin of such a comment; while the service was good, it really did seem rather rote or prescriptive. LH does have the small advantage of giving you the opportunity to practice your Deutsch, however perfunctory, with the FA's. If they respond in English, you need more practice.

Food and beverage on both was comparable.

IFE: UA new C > LH current C > UA old C. LH AVOD had decent selection.

Didn't really notice much difference in cabin temperature, but I only tend to notice extremes.

Bottom line: Based on my first experience, either carrier's C is enjoyable TATL, enhanced further if in UA new C. Again, YMMV.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:45 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CThomp79
Just did this recently, SFO-FRA in UA old C (777) and FRA-SFO on LH C (747).

Didn't really notice much difference in cabin temperature, but I only tend to notice extremes.
IME, westbound/daytime flights on LH, the cabin temperature isn't too warm. Only on the eastbound, nighttime TATL LH flights have I experienced uncomfortable, if not unbearably hot cabin temperatures that made sleeping difficult and caused me to arrive sweaty and annoyed.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Sweat prevents sleep

Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
IME, westbound/daytime flights on LH, the cabin temperature isn't too warm. Only on the eastbound, nighttime TATL LH flights have I experienced uncomfortable, if not unbearably hot cabin temperatures that made sleeping difficult and caused me to arrive sweaty and annoyed.
The problem with that sweatiness is that you can't sleep. I cannot sleep when it's too hot. Too cold is unpleasant, but usually I can fall asleep. Too hot is just unbearable. That's why I live in San Francisco...
Old Sep 28, 2009, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold,
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
The problem with that sweatiness is that you can't sleep. I cannot sleep when it's too hot. Too cold is unpleasant, but usually I can fall asleep. Too hot is just unbearable. That's why I live in San Francisco...
I agree - that's why I love SF.

In fact, the NYTimes just ran an article about how cold temps help people sleep better: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/04/health/04real.html

These days, whenever I fly overnight, I specifically ask the FAs to be mindful that the temps do not go over 68, and happily boot up my iphone to show them the article.

-G
Old Sep 29, 2009, 6:29 am

LH gets the edge in the food and beverage department.

The LH premium cabins seem outdated to me. I tried LH first recently, and the AVOD screen is tiny, the seats in serious need of updating. But the service was wonderful.

UA's new Biz class, in terms of comfort, wins hands down. It's the most comfortable airline seat I've sat in, period. I was able to sleep on the flight (FRA-IAD), my back was not aching, and the experience was a real pleasure.

I'd give the slight edge to UA, if you have the new Biz class seats, otherwise LH.

So like many others, I'd rank them New C UA > LH C > Old C UA.

Best C experience I've had is NH and NZ, though!
Old Sep 29, 2009, 8:12 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by FLYDCA
I have to agree 100%. My first two LH F segments IAD-MUC-IAD last month, and it was an oven in the aircraft. That alone will keep me on UA.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 8:25 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by gre
I much prefer the LH service, but I have had some strange food offerings that were not very good.
Same here. In LH F and C I have had some food choices that were pretty bad - although the F eggs are really good.

Usually I can find a bright side, but when sampling almost everything and still enjoying only 10% I have to ding the airline, and I'll eat almost anything.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
LH F food >>>>>>>>>> UA F food
UA new F seat >>>>>>>>>> LH F seat
LH F service >>>>>>>>>> UA F service

LH C food = UA C food (equally bad)
UA new C seat >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> LH C seat
LH C service = UA C service

I'd go with UA based on seats.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 8:43 am

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by carbonchaser
Obviously, no matter what, you'd want to upgrade any and all flights if you have a chance. That is definitely a long way in coach

My ranking of the C products would be

1 - UA 767 or 747 (new, lie flat product and good entertainments)
2 - LH (slant flat seat and good entertainment)
3 - UA 777 (cradle seat and not so good entertainment)

If you cannot upgrade the transatlantics, I would go for UA, because at least you can get E+ and a couple extra inches of legroom. Longhaul LH in coach is pretty harsh, though the entertainment system is quite a bit better
I've written a detailed review of the different LH and UAL international C seats, but can't remember the thread. +1 all the way on this post though. Sums it up very well.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
LH C food = UA C food (equally bad)
My recent UA catering ex-FRA was really basic. It's a shocker, that LH is down at that level and cannot do better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.