Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more seat blocking? Is it really true?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2008, 9:00 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Bob, why 9F? I'm not too fat, but my legs don't fit into the
tiny bit of extra room afforded by there not being an 8F.

As far as seat blocking goes, doesn't day-of-departure
filling of E+ go front to back, so that most of who would
post on this topic (and tend to fill up the front of E+) lose
the benefit earlier than those farther back in the section?
Old Feb 26, 2008, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jgsx
I can confirm that seat block does not and has never worked for me. My gf and I are both on the same flight, but with different PNRs. I'm 1P and she's 2P. I chose my seat, then logged on as her and picked the seat right next to me. This was on a 777.
777 has different blocking system, and 2 seats will never have blocking. Can't remember how they block the 5 seats, it's either EEXEE or EXEXE.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:00 am

Programs: VX Elevate, UA 2P, SPG Gold
Seat blocking seems to have gone for me. Booked 6A on an A319 and 6B is still open...
Old Feb 27, 2008, 7:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, United Global Services/1MM
"official" confirmation - for what that's worth....

Originally Posted by N334AA
Seat blocking seems to have gone for me. Booked 6A on an A319 and 6B is still open...
Same here. Last week I booked a TED flight for next month in 11C, 11B remains open.

Also, I just called the UGS phone line and the woman confirmed that they are no longer blocking seats for 1k's or UGS's.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Of course they don't need a reason...but has anyone heard why they decided to stop this great practice?
Old Feb 27, 2008, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA GS 5 MM, Delta 1.6MM & Hilton Diamond, Avis Chairman, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I spoke w/ GS customer relations today regarding a flight problem I had, and I asked them why the seat blocking was removed. They did confirm that for all future flights, seat blocking is no longer offered.

Living in a TED city, and being stuck in coach all the time, I did tell them that I didn't like the new policy... I'd suggest you do the same if you don't like it.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 9:50 pm

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by Jet'Dillo
It would suck for me if UA were to start doing this because my SO and I benefit from this quite a bit when we travel together. I'm usually 1P or 2P and like window seats and she's not and likes the aisle. The seat blocking works great for us because that leaves the middle seat free for us to put coats and things in (Strap 'em in w/ a seatbelt. The F/As never both us about it and I think actually like it because it leaves space in the overhead bins) in the air.
Seat block has let us sit together and have a little extra room at the same time.

I do agree about the practical effect with those who are pointing out loading factors recently, but it mostly seems to work, even on relatively full flights.
The only time it seems to completely fall through is when they're trying to cram every last stand-by on board they can.
If your SO is coattailing on your elite status to sit in E+, I believe they will only sit your SO immediately next to you, not so that the two of you get the aisle and window with the middle blocked.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Now that this seems to have been confirmed, I'm starting to wonder if the conversation I overheard a few weeks ago might not have more merit than others and I originally surmised. Maybe TED is getting a first class after all
Old Feb 28, 2008, 1:48 am

Programs: VX Elevate, UA 2P, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cricketer
Now that this seems to have been confirmed, I'm starting to wonder if the conversation I overheard a few weeks ago might not have more merit than others and I originally surmised. Maybe TED is getting a first class after all
Getting F back on all A320s would be good, I just get the feeling that UA will take the cheap route and not put back in the ovens that were taken out. I can see it now "My mainline A320 SFO-IAD got swapped to an ex Ted plane with no ovens!!" I hope I'm wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.