Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more seat blocking? Is it really true?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:04 am
Original Poster

No more seat blocking? Is it really true?

I just got off the phone with United about what I thought was a problem on one of my upcoming flights where the middle seat was not removed from inventory for assignment after I reserved an aisle. I was notified by the agent that United will no longer block the middle seat for premieres of any level. This was then verified by a Supervisor and then again by 1K Customer relations. So far just one of my flights has been impacted (lots of windows and aisles booked and most middles are visible). They also indicated that they were rolling in the software update and all flights should be complete by the second week of February. They said that previously anyone qualified to get access to a blocked seat would have to call and then be put on hold to get a supervisor to get it assigned and that by not blocking anymore, it should make it easier for the customer and reduce calls.

So is this really a big deal? Or a big loss? Anyone else have more information?
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:11 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
With most flights these days running at 90%+ full I'm not sure we're realizing the true benefits of seat blocking anyway.

I'm dissappointed that UA feels it has to further erode elite benefits but I'm guessing that the net effect will be minimal.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by mrswirl
I'm dissappointed that UA feels it has to further erode elite benefits
You're disappointed they're removing a benefit that wasn't a benefit?
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:21 am
Suspended

being commercially aware might be of use to some members of ft as well
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:22 am
Original Poster

In thinking through this, it doesn't make too much a difference if you were able to book into economy plus since any premiere could get access to the middle seat anyway. But this is a big loss if you booked into E- and had a blocked seat next to you.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1P
On my current itinerary on .bomb, it still shows a middle seat blocked...but it also could be a new "enhancement" that only applies to future bookings.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:28 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It was certainly a benefit, just not available 100% of the time due to loading factors. I'll miss it.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:33 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It's the principle more than anything else. Seat blocking never really concerned me either way but there are those who feel strongly on the subject: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=764732
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by yofra
On my current itinerary on .bomb, it still shows a middle seat blocked....
How can you tell if the it's blocked or occupied?
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by brysal
In thinking through this, it doesn't make too much a difference if you were able to book into economy plus since any premiere could get access to the middle seat anyway. But this is a big loss if you booked into E- and had a blocked seat next to you.
Well the only reason you'd book into E- was because E+ was full, so it would be a moot point, anyway, since at that point E- would likely be almost at 100% since there are a lot more non-elites and non-EP Access folks who are put in back by default.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 2K, MM, SPG PLT
Well, who sits in the middle by choice anyway? I doubt anyone will notice a difference.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:42 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by famtrav
How can you tell if the it's blocked or occupied?
Change your seat to a row with an open middle and see if the phantom passenger "follows" you.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:51 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by Cosmos M
Well, who sits in the middle by choice anyway? I doubt anyone will notice a difference.
The difference is that if a middle is open next to two non-elites, it is available for the next passanger to sit in. If there's an elite next to it, it's not available. This has benefitted me several times, and I think I will notice the difference (if I remain at United).
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, United Global Services/1MM
still blocked...

I have a flight booked for this Sat BOS-LAX, returning TUS-DEN-BOS the next week with the wife and I called the UGS line yesterday on something unrelated. The woman confirmed that the middle was still blocked out on the full RT. As mentioned above, I wonder if this only applies to future bookings (I booked this one about a month ago).

If it makes you feel any better I fished for any possible way to get around the upgrade restrictions on the DB free coupons I used for the trip with no luck...
Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:58 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by mrswirl
With most flights these days running at 90%+ full I'm not sure we're realizing the true benefits of seat blocking anyway.
90%+ is not 100%. I've been on flights that have only 1 or 2 empty seats, but including the one next to me. That's certainly realizing the "true benefit," whatever that means.

Last edited by jd2000; Jan 22, 2008 at 1:00 pm Reason: What I wrote didn't make sense, I was braindead from not-yet-coffee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.