Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

2008 Elite Choice Team Competition Status Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2008 Elite Choice Team Competition Status Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2008, 6:34 pm

Programs: Affilated with the orders of I need to rest, doctor's orders!
Originally Posted by Seat1A
i'm interested in playing, but not ready to commit just yet.. want to see united formally announce it, with no mention of taxes added to the T&C's. if i'm going to get a 1099 for winning $50,000 worth of stuff, i'm definitely out, and given the stated ARV of the 1K circle of friends sweepstakes, that's a concern...

also, i meant what i said -- i have no idea what 2008 will bring. i made 1P in 2007 on segments, earning only 42k EQM, including the 2500 mile carryover. i'm starting this year with a CRWSTAR1, and will have over 38k by the end of january (again including the 2500 mile carryover, since i was on the 2P version of elite choice last year..)

i lose my AA EXP this year as a result of too much UA/US/AC activity in 2007, and i think 1P is a lot more pleasant than AA PLT, so the plan is to stick with UA/*, and hope i can fly enough to make 1K. but the flying is whatever work needs it to be -- i'll only do MR's if i'm stting between 90k and 99.999k going into the end of the year..
So you don't take vacations?

You don't need to escape to other worldly destinations?

Don't you want to see the Sox's play in Tokyo?

C'mon! There is always a reason to fly! You just need to pick one and go for it.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 6:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA MM Lifetime Gold, BA Silver
I'm willing to play and would be happy to be drafted. I had over 225K EQM's last year. However, I can't promise a great increase in EQM's but you never now. I have 2 transpacs and 2 middle East trips booked as of now. And I'm already sitting on 3K EQM's.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 6:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA MM Lifetime Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by alotoftravel
If you need another member, count me in. I had 205K EQM last year and to date only 20K EQM. Plan to fly to requalify UGS for 2009.

Why don't we form a UGS team? Us guys/gals who did 200+ EQM's last year. I realize that it may not be the best combination, but it would be fun anyway.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Any guesses as to what the 50th team will have as an increase? Is it unreasonable to think it would be > 400k EQMs?
Dunno. Given that many people, even if they register for this promo, will not likely sign up for the teams - or if they do, it will be as an afterthought with some officemates - I really think FT has an excellent chance to do well here. We're already a pretty connected community, so if any place has a chance of matching up good potential teams, this is the place. Indeed, we could have a "draft" of sorts where people post their 2007 EQMs and projected 2008 EQMs, then we form the best teams out of that pool. Alternatively, since there are going to be 50 winners, we could try forming something like 20 or 25 equally-rated teams, because even then, I suspect FT would still do better.

Also, I didn't see that the rules specified a date by when the team has to be formed... so we might be able to wait until near the very end of the contest to form teams, by which point we'll have a really good idea of who is likely to win.

Originally Posted by hsxagent
I promise at least 100K more then I flown last year. So whoever wants me gets me!
I want you! Of course, I have no idea what my travel plans will be... but whatever they are, they won't be worse than last year, when I had only 10K EQMs! Sadly, I won't come anywhere near 1K... though I could sure use those prizes!
Old Jan 13, 2008, 6:51 pm

Programs: Various
I would like to throw my hat in the ring as well. I had 0 EQMs last year (US PP), and I've switched over to UA this year. I will have ~40k EQMs by early/mid-February, and I anticipate easily making 1K this year (though probably not until October/early November, as my travel slows down a bit in the summer).
Old Jan 13, 2008, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by cepheid
Also, I didn't see that the rules specified a date by when the team has to be formed... so we might be able to wait until near the very end of the contest to form teams, by which point we'll have a really good idea of who is likely to win.
From the T&C

Online registration is required for this contest and must be completed by September 7, 2008.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by cepheid
Alternatively, since there are going to be 50 winners, we could try forming something like 20 or 25 equally-rated teams, because even then, I suspect FT would still do better.

Also, I didn't see that the rules specified a date by when the team has to be formed... so we might be able to wait until near the very end of the contest to form teams, by which point we'll have a really good idea of who is likely to win.....
That sounds like a good approach. I could possibly be interested also.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by todorovic
Online registration is required for this contest and must be completed by September 7, 2008.
Thanks, I must have been blind. Either way, that's pretty darn late in the year - very late into Q3 - so my recommendation would actually be for nobody to form teams until sometime in, say, July or August, at which time we'll have a much better idea of what the final 2008 tally should be for each participant.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
And projected 2008 travel?
Sadly...about the same as 2007. We are not very good "choices" for team members.

BTW...has the sign up for the 2008 "Choices" been posted yet?
Old Jan 13, 2008, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA 2P
i'm in if people need another team member

last year i did 45k BIS
this year i will make 1K easily ... I have a honeymoon trip to PKT from SAN already bought 4 transcons already booked etc. pm me
Old Jan 13, 2008, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat1A
i'm interested in playing, but not ready to commit just yet.. want to see united formally announce it, with no mention of taxes added to the T&C's. if i'm going to get a 1099 for winning $50,000 worth of stuff, i'm definitely out, and given the stated ARV of the 1K circle of friends sweepstakes, that's a concern...
Ouch, yuck! Anyone want to estimate how much of an issue this'll be? Bleh!
Old Jan 13, 2008, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Post #1, 3, 4 have been updated!!

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
A valid e-mail address with opt-in designation, which will be used to email the team captain updates of his/her team’s 2008 year-to-date EQM totals (in or around March, June and September 2008) must be established at time of registration if the member does not already have one on record with united.com.
I wonder if UA will contact FT to shut this thread down. From the above, it appears UA may not want to make year-to-date numbers public...otherwise, if all teams update their numbers on this thread, we will know who the winning will be before UA annouce it to the public in 2009.@:-)
Old Jan 13, 2008, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Does anyone else think that this is one of the dumbest things UA ever came up with?

With the exceptions of a few people I know will the average UA flyer even care about this game? Is UA really targeting Flyertalkers so that they can track you.

UA, just send me a couple of drink certs and a few e-500's, and I'll be happy. @:-)

FYI, I came in at 68k in 2007.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
if all teams update their numbers on this thread, we will know who the winning will be before UA annouce it to the public in 2009.
I'm willing to bet that the winning team will never have even heard of FT, just like 99.9% of the world.

Post #1, 3, 4 have been updated!!
In post #3, it would be good to include a time zone if you're going to timestamp it. The world does not run on EST... (In fact, you don't even need it, because FT timestamps when you edit a post anyway.)
Old Jan 13, 2008, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K*MM, AA PP
Interesting. I'm actually in good position as after flying 200K in '06 and crediting most of it to UA (and making no status in other alliances) in '07 I got smart and credited only just over 100K to UA giving 50K to AA and spreading the other 20K-30K among a dozen other airlines).

Now, this year my travel is supposed to go back up a bit, so I could maybe make 200K on UA if I steered all my flying to them, but I'd have to have a pretty strong incentive as I'd be wasting the hard-earned PLT status on AA and I fly some places UA just doesn't go conveniently...

But I'm game to run the numbers and join a team... whenever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.