Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA SFO Gate Agent humiliated a Taiwanese Student

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA SFO Gate Agent humiliated a Taiwanese Student

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2007, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Thumbs down UA SFO Gate Agent humiliated a Taiwanese Student

This news has been confirmed by the Taiwan UA customer service.

News in Chinese

The news looks like this:
Ming, a Taiwanese studnet, who took United Airlines to come back to
Taiwan from Greenville for vacation. The flight was canceled due to the
crew. Next day, he couldn't take the connceting flight at SFO because
of the weather.Then, he was told that the next available flight would
be five days later. Finally, the agent upgraded him to business class, 12A.

When he boarding, the SFO gate agent, Alice, humiliated him by tearing
up his boarding pass and said that he didn't deserve to seat at Business
Class. The agent, Alice, then issused him another boarding pass at row 22.

--
This remind me that last time I was humiliated by a flight attendant that she said that I wasn't quilify to seat at E+ when I was 1p. The other was that
the gate agent op-up someone, who was 2p because I didn't look like a business man....

Last edited by pigx5; Dec 25, 2007 at 9:30 pm
Old Dec 23, 2007, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by pigx5
News in Chinese

The news looks like this:
Ming, a Taiwanese studnet, who took United Airlines to come back to
Taiwan from Greenville for vacation. The flight was canceled due to the
crew. Next day, he couldn't take the connceting flight at SFO because
of the weather.Then, he was told that the next available flight would
be five days later. Finally, the agent upgraded him to business class, 12A.

This remind me that last time I was humiliated by a flight attendant that she said that I wasn't quilify to seat at E+ when I was 1p. The other was that
the gate agent op-up someone, who was 2p because I didn't look like a business man....
While we don't have the other side of the story...one thing for sure...Everyone deserves!....There is no reason for Alice or anyone else to make this hurtful statement. I hope you write Customer Service in the language of your choice and speak of your friends humiliation.

There simply is no excuse for saying this to anyone!

In the second example you mention, I hope you then presented your 1P card, and told them you were a scholar!

I hope in your future United flights you are treated with courtesy & respect.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 6:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Pegasus23
There is no reason for Alice or anyone else to make this hurtful statement.
You're right that we haven't heard the whole story, and I see no indication that the statement was at all "hurtful", though the language barrier may have made it seem so. Just as likely is that the "you don't deserve to be in C" comment was really a comment by the agent that she didn't see a valid upgrade. This happens all the time when people have boarding passes they shouldn't have for some reason.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
In this day and age how can this happen. This needs to be reported to WHQ. No matter what race the person is, coments like this cant happen.

Ben
Old Dec 23, 2007, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
This happens all the time when people have boarding passes they shouldn't have for some reason.
When the person is about to board the plane, why take his BP?? Who was she going to give that C seat to. After all he was only delayed a day and most likely slept in the airport.

Ben
Old Dec 23, 2007, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Benny8444
When the person is about to board the plane, why take his BP?
Anyone with an unsupported upgrade should be denied boarding, and it sounds like that what the agent believed.

Who was she going to give that C seat to.
Why not ask her? Or is the accused not allowed to explain her actions any more? Why does everyone jump to the conclusion that the accuser is infallible and is telling the whole story?

After all he was only delayed a day and most likely slept in the airport.
And the agent was supposed to know this.. how?
Old Dec 23, 2007, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're right that we haven't heard the whole story, and I see no indication that the statement was at all "hurtful", though the language barrier may have made it seem so. Just as likely is that the "you don't deserve to be in C" comment was really a comment by the agent that she didn't see a valid upgrade. This happens all the time when people have boarding passes they shouldn't have for some reason.
VERY well said!^ We have only heard one side of the story, and translated at that, so I definitely wouldn't be surprised if this was the case of a simple language barrier.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
lucky is right! (As almost always!) Even at UA, that story sounds a bit too harsh to be quite true.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Anyone with an unsupported upgrade should be denied boarding, and it sounds like that what the agent believed.

Why not ask her? Or is the accused not allowed to explain her actions any more? Why does everyone jump to the conclusion that the accuser is infallible and is telling the whole story?

And the agent was supposed to know this.. how?
1. I agree, but it seemed that he was given the C seat because everything else was full at the time. If something opend up later in the boarding process then it is up to the GA if she wants to downgrade him

2. He should have asked the GA why she took the C seat. But if he does not speak English it is hard.

3. In is record it should show that he was supposed to fly the day before.

sorry for the confusion

Ben
Old Dec 23, 2007, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
The indication of hurtfulness is the passengers statement.....which agreed is all we have. So for this thread I will believe him. Alice if you are out there...speak up!

In the future....

If she.Alice has to memorize a script.... so be it.

"Sir , I don't see how you are supporting your upgrade to business?" Which gives the customer a chance to explain, before he is moved into coach.
Old Dec 23, 2007, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The indication of hurtfulness is the passengers statement.....which agreed is all we have. So for this thread I will believe him. Alice if you are out there...speak up!

In the future....

If she.Alice has to memorize a script.... so be it.

"Sir , I don't see how you are supporting your upgrade to business?" Which gives the customer a chance to explain, before he is moved into coach.
Agree that would definitely be the professional way to handle it, but at the same time we don't really know if that's how it was/wasn't asked. Based on what I have read so far I would speculate that there's a communication barrier and maybe it was said differently than "you don't belong in Business."

Last edited by lucky9876coins; Dec 23, 2007 at 7:12 pm
Old Dec 23, 2007, 7:09 pm

The guy is a student here which means his English, as bad as it may be, isn't to the point of 'no speak english'. I think it's a case of not knowing how to deal with airline workers and fight for your rights, much like most VBITs. Either way it'd be good to hear the other side of the story, if someone witnessed it. If UA was at fault it won't come out and admit publically either.

Usually they'll take your bp and reprint another one from the gate mini-podium if there's an error. Ripping up one's bp in front of the passenger tend to cause too much distress.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 24, 2007 at 3:30 am Reason: "spelling"
Old Dec 23, 2007, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA1K
I can not read the linked story, and I have no intention of defending UA nor will I question the validity of the story as reported by OP. However,

1. OpUp due to schedule irre. seems to be a quite common thing for UA and it's hard to believe a GA would be surprised by that and want to challange that.

2. Also, it'a hard to believe a GA would have time or energy to check how a particular traveller obtains his/her C BPs during BOARDING. I would GUESS his BP must have been invalidated prior to the boarding, possibly due to oversell of the C-cabin, and thus grabbed the agent's attention.

Anyway regardless of what happened, I do think UA should honor the OpUp decision originally granted.

Last edited by ecofreak; Dec 23, 2007 at 7:22 pm Reason: typo corrected
Old Dec 23, 2007, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA Prem Plat, CX MPC Silver, CI Dynasty Gold; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by pigx5
News in Chinese
With that kind of comment, my response would be "Ma'am, you don't deserve to work for United!"
Old Dec 23, 2007, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA/UA/DL
While we don't have the other side of the story...one thing for sure...Everyone deserves!....There is no reason for Alice or anyone else to make this hurtful statement. I hope you write Customer Service in the language of your choice and speak of your friends humiliation.

There simply is no excuse for saying this to anyone!

In the second example you mention, I hope you then presented your 1P card, and told them you were a scholar!

I hope in your future United flights you are treated with courtesy & respect.

No matter what happened ( C oversold or..), Mr. Ming should get an explanation
why they upgraded him as a compensation and then downgraded him.

I have too many unhappy experiences with UA's "service" so I believe in Mr. Ming personally.
But, I still want to know the real truth.
When there is a further news, I will post it on this board.

About my story( I posted before), I showed her my boarding pass later, she didn't apologize.
I asked for her name and she didn't answer me.
I then asked the purser about her name and the purser didn't let me know, either. I did wrote to the WHQ.

There are too many ways to do one thing, people can do it politely or rudely.
A company should hire employees to keep costomers' loyalty but not pay for them to lose customers.

Last edited by pigx5; Dec 23, 2007 at 8:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.