Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MP Visa Choices Primer

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
OK, I think i understand.

For every dollar of the credit annual you wish to pay with ChoicePoints, 125 ChoicePoints & RDMs are redeemed. $1 fee=125 ChoicePoints/RDM. You pick the dollar amount you wish to redeem this way. (in other terms this is 0.8 cpm and most folks like to see 1.5 cpm or better for miles)

This is a poorer redemption rate than the rate for flight tickets. ($1=100 ChoicePoints/RDM)
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:58 am

Programs: LFFRS BOD
what is RDM?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by duranza
what is RDM?
FT Glossary
RDM Redeemable miles
Also useful but a bit dated also -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-glossary.html

Most programs have two types of miles -- status miles and redeemable miles.
RDM are the miles you collect and use for awards / upgrades / ...
With the Case cards, normal purchases earn RDMs which also have an additional ChoicePoints benefit. When you redeem your ChoicePoints it also decreased your RDMs. More explanation in the first couple posts of this thread.

(Note some Chase cards (no longer available to new customers) earn elite miles (PQMs or FEQMs) for certain purchases).
Old Dec 30, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
thanks for the links and explanations yet I am still at a loss as to how many miles it takes to pay off the annual fee: is it 125 choicepoints x the fee $95 ?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by duranza
thanks for the links and explanations yet I am still at a loss as to how many miles it takes to pay off the annual fee: is it 125 choicepoints x the fee $95 ?
The system has an online calculator to help you and it will depend on what the fee is (it varies) and how much of the fee you decide to pay this way. If you chose to paid the equivalent of $95 in this manner, then will be 95x125 ChoicePoints & RDMs.

However, if an option, it is a better use to partially pay a ticket cost then to pay the credit card fee, since the ticket option provides a better redemption rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.