Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

ONT/SNA to LAX Discontinued (and Other Intra-California Changes) in Janaury, 2008

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ONT/SNA to LAX Discontinued (and Other Intra-California Changes) in Janaury, 2008

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2007, 7:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by Wainwright
Anyone notice if they are dropping the frequency on this? The flights generally go out with 1 or 2 empty seats (at least during the times I have taken them) so I wonder if they are just consolidating.

Alternately, they could be tinkering with the idea in a run up to the U.S. Open being at Torrey Pines...just a thought.
I would doubt that Skywest is cutting the total number of planes that fly this route. I think I read somewhere that the LAX-SAN route is the 3rd busiest domestic route behind SoCal-LAS and HNL-Maui with something like 500+ weekly flights.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, WN A-List, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I would be surprised if UA cut SNA-LAX as it's been full every time I've taken it...but that doesn't mean they will not deploy the planes where they CAN make more money.

The question is what will they do with their SNA slots? Will they start new service someplace else or will they just give those slots back to the airport? I'd love to see something like SNA-SEA on UA. I think they have enough market share to compete with Alaska on that route.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 7:58 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I've merged a few threads together to consolidate the discussion; hope this helps.

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
United Mileage Plus Forum
Old Oct 18, 2007, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by auggie doggie
I would be surprised if UA cut SNA-LAX as it's been full every time I've taken it...but that doesn't mean they will not deploy the planes where they CAN make more money.

The question is what will they do with their SNA slots? Will they start new service someplace else or will they just give those slots back to the airport? I'd love to see something like SNA-SEA on UA. I think they have enough market share to compete with Alaska on that route.
Are you refering to the slots in the commuter terminal of SNA? There isn't much ops there in the morning (or most of the day for that matter), but on both Saturday and Monday there were boarding a mainline flight via stairs from 1A to DEN and SFO.

I think it isn't a matter of giving of the slots. I don't think UA needs another 725 am flight to either ORD, DEN or SFO (they already have 7am and 8am flights to DEN and ORD and a 730 to SFO).

I definitally like the idea of SNA-SEA or maybe SNA-LAS (is there enough market share or am I just dreaming?).
Old Oct 18, 2007, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trekwars2000
I definitally like the idea of SNA-SEA or maybe SNA-LAS (is there enough market share or am I just dreaming?).
The latter. This is United, they like flying to hubs.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 8:04 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL status lost across the board.
I would doubt that Skywest is cutting the total number of planes that fly this route. I think I read somewhere that the LAX-SAN route is the 3rd busiest domestic route behind SoCal-LAS and HNL-Maui with something like 500+ weekly flights.
I know the route is busy, but so is SAN. With a single runway I was thinking they could be trying to consolidate at the urging of the airport.

Well, maybe this is part of their direction as a premium airline...trying to at least offer a chance at E+ on the route. It's a bit of a shame, I love bumping up and down the coast in the EM2s.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Wainwright
I know the route is busy, but so is SAN. With a single runway I was thinking they could be trying to consolidate at the urging of the airport.

Well, maybe this is part of their direction as a premium airline...trying to at least offer a chance at E+ on the route. It's a bit of a shame, I love bumping up and down the coast in the EM2s.
Me too. In fact I will be riding on the Brazzy 4 times Saturday and 3 times Sunday. There is no seat in the UA Y Fleet that beats 9B (or 9C if you like the window) on the Brazzy. I will miss it when it is finally gone.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 9:04 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Whoa, this is huge! I'll have to ask at SNA next time I'm through. This would be a huge loss for those of us in Orange County, as LAX is a nightmare groundside---it's so much nicer to cruise on over to SNA, spend a few minutes in the RCC, and catch the Brazzy to LAX. In fact, unless they really up the SNA-SFO frequencies, this might be enough to push me to another airline from SNA. Must admit, though, it's hard to see this route making money with a CR7.

If they do axe this route, adding SNA-SEA would be a great help, and take away one of my three AS mainstays (SNA-OAK and SNA-PDX being the others). I don't see that happening given what's going on in the SEA-LAX market, though.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
It seems like UA is operating an A319 for the LAX-SAN on Nov. 4 as UA 1018.

My SAN-LAX flight on UA 5408 on Feb. 7 remains an E-120.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nov11
It seems like UA is operating an A319 for the LAX-SAN on Nov. 4 as UA 1018.

My SAN-LAX flight on UA 5408 on Feb. 7 remains an E-120.
Wow, that's pretty cool.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
United does not fly P2P (point-to-point) routes.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rch4u
United does not fly P2P (point-to-point) routes.
Not necessarily. There are some Skywest routes such as LAS-FAT and LAS-PSP.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
FWIW, the last SFO-BUR flight and first BUR-SFO flight has been downguaged to a UX CRJ-200 starting next year
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
That would be an utter disaster to cancel the LAX-SNA route, the planes are almost always full and LAX is a third world #@#$ hole made for a long passed era, it should really be dozed and rebuilt.

It would really really suck to have to either go to LAX or make connections in SFO.

Plus its a nice flight from LAX-SNA over the coast.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 10:13 am

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by boifromtroy
FWIW, the last SFO-BUR flight and first BUR-SFO flight has been downguaged to a UX CRJ-200 starting next year
Nuts! I always try to catch the 737 on that route!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.