Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "I Need XXX EQM/EQS by Year End" Thread (Discussion and Advice) [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "I Need XXX EQM/EQS by Year End" Thread (Discussion and Advice) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2007, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jwillett13
The google earth is a interesting tool.
I ended up going with a GSO-PHL roundtrip on UA that will yield 2000 BIS miles. Cost a little more than I wanted to spend, $160 with a $100 off coupon, but my window to do the run is very narrow.
Thanks for those that replied.
What is this $100 off coupon? Is it a UA promo? Please advise.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
MR from ORD for 1K -- EQM or EQS?

I am slowly realizing I might not make 1K again next year unless I do a MR or two... esp. sans DEQM promo. The one year I need it! Blah.

I am about ~30,000 EQM or 26 EQS short (not including a 3 ORD-SFO flights and 2 ORD-IAH flights I have planned... which would only add ~15,000 EQM or 10 EQS). Any ideas whether I do the MR for EQS or EQM? What's cheaper / easier from ORD? Any routing suggestions? A few years back, I did an ORD-SAN-SFO-LAX-SNA-LAX-SFO-ORD MR that got me a bunch of EQS (for only $250).

Thanks.
1Konsultant
Old Oct 22, 2007, 2:32 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Thats a lot of ground to make up in two months. Are you sure it's worth the cost and time?
Old Oct 22, 2007, 2:37 pm

Location: Palo Alto. Previously, below the approaches to Rwy 19 @ DCA or 28 @ ORD
Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, AA EXP
For racking up segments, perhaps some creatively routed fares to the likes of PIT, PHL, LGA, BWI or IAD might be the answer. The downside: lots of RJ flying, and 3 or 4 flying days would likely be necessary to accrue the required 26 segments.

For sanity, 2 or 3 transoceanic trips might be a better idea. One trip to SIN/BKK and another to Europe, if routed via the West Coast and IAD respectively, should get the needed 30k EQMs. Plus, you hopefully have some SWUs that you could apply to these trips, making the journey tolerable and perhaps even pleasant. ^
Old Oct 22, 2007, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Gold, EVA Diamond
16 EQS is quite a bit... I don't know how much time you have, but I would almost suggest you go for the remaining 15,000 miles or so you need... You could probably sneak in two cheap ORD-LHR-ORD flights if you hunt around....

If I were you, I would just fly to SE asia for a vacation in Thanksgiving.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 2:42 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Merging with the "I need XXX EQM's" thread.

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA
Old Oct 22, 2007, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K NW US HH Gold
Originally Posted by 1Konsultant
I am about ~30,000 EQM or 26 EQS short (not including a 3 ORD-SFO flights and 2 ORD-IAH flights I have planned... which would only add ~15,000 EQM or 10 EQS).
Just to clarify, you say you are 30K EQM short, NOT including the 5 trips you have planned that will add 15K EQM. So does that mean you'll be only 15K EQM short? If so, a single Asia trip should handle that.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by ttownsend
Just to clarify, you say you are 30K EQM short, NOT including the 5 trips you have planned that will add 15K EQM. So does that mean you'll be only 15K EQM short? If so, a single Asia trip should handle that.
Yep -- 30K EQM does NOT include the 5 trips planned. With those, I would only need ~15K EQM.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. It sounds like EQM is the way to go, but even a trip to NRT wouldn't do it (only 12,500 EQM). Sounds like either 2 trips to EU or one to SE Asia is necessary. What's non-peak this time of year? I'd need to do the trips on a weekend (which would be hard for Asia) or sometime between Xmas and New Years.

1Konsultant
Old Oct 22, 2007, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mine actually posted a week after the account upgrade - which was 3 weeks BEFORE I paid the statement.

Originally Posted by cepheid
Possibly but it really only takes about 3-4 weeks... the EQMs generally post a few days after the first statement closes, which is generally no more than 4 weeks from when you get the card. Even getting the card in early November should be OK; I wouldn't gamble on it past Nov 15.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Having pinned my hopes on a DEQM repeat, I was looking at about 65K EQMs at the end of the year. Have booked 6 transcons, one-day back-and-forths, on three different weekends.

Ouch.

For me, 1K is absolutely worth it even if I don't fly "that much." From a straight cost-benefit analysis, doing these MRs is cheaper than paying for the upgrades via higher ticket prices and/or RDMs. There's no other way around it.

Because of the specific number of EQMs I need, there were no easy int'l MRs that would get me to the magic 100K without (a) spending a lot more; or (b) forcing me to miss work, which I can't do. Flying only on weekends, and out of SWUs, it's p.s. or bust.

Good luck to all the rest of you gunnin' for 1K! ^
Old Oct 22, 2007, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by 1Konsultant
even a trip to NRT wouldn't do it (only 12,500 EQM).
ORD-SFO-ICN-SFO-ORD is 15,020 EQM.
ORD-NRT-TPE-NRT-ORD is 15,260 EQM.
ORD-SFO-TPE-SFO-ORD is 16,630 EQM.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
30k sounds like a lot, but I actually have more than 30k worth of EQMs booked for the remainder of this year. None of them are MRs.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by bolderflyer

What do people think? Is it worth it for me to try and get that extra 15K, and what are some suggested methods to get there? I am based in DEN. Any suggestions are appreciated!
With the regionals you hardly ever fly in less than F. If you really
want F most of the time, you need 1K. It is cool how a domestic
regional upgrade gets confirmed instantly weeks before departure.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
7yr 1K in danger of losing status.. .help!

I'm a 7-year 1k veteran, all BIS to this point. I got married *and* changed jobs this year, which whacked about 3 months off my normally quite busy travel schedule. I now find myself sitting at ~70k EQM so far this year, but next year looks like I'll be right back on the wagon, so I need to find a decent way to get to 1k and make those SWUs. I've also been very slack in my FT reading (apologies humble readers) so I'm cheaping out and asking... what options do I have?

1) double/bonus EQM offers this year?
2) reasonable mileage runs? I originate in RDU, so needs to be east-coast or ORD based.
3) promo offers? credit cards? anything silly like that? I normally avoid these aggressively, but this year I'm pretty desperate as several roundtrips to NRT do not look appealing without 1k status/SWUs for next year.
4) call 1k desk and beg for some kind of exemption/deal for next year? does my history as a 1k matter? anyone tried this?
5) what else am I forgetting?

thanks...

--lj
Old Oct 23, 2007, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Take your new bride (congrats btw) on a nice followup to your honeymoon, maybe Southeast Asia?

Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Hong Kong... all great places to visit, and oodles of miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.