Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Can you use UA status for E+/UDU then switch accrual to another *A? [Merged - 2010]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you use UA status for E+/UDU then switch accrual to another *A? [Merged - 2010]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2007, 5:00 pm
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by RandyNZ
Then when I get to the airport, I just go to one of the self-checkin kiosks and enter my NZ mileage number. It keeps the E+ seat assignment and works every time.
For me, sometimes it works and sometimes not : even when on my BP there is B*G printed (after I've entered my BD number), sometimes my MP account is credited.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by G_G
For me, sometimes it works and sometimes not : even when on my BP there is B*G printed (after I've entered my BD number), sometimes my MP account is credited.
I have encountered this same problem as well. Even when the BD*G is on the BP the flight is credited to MP. It seems that the only sure way to get it to credit is to ask UA to remove the UA MP info altogether and replace it with the BD#.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 6:28 pm

Hmm, I've never had problems getting credit when I've had BD printed on the boarding pass. But I have ALWAYS been kicked out of E+. By chicken, by GA, by RCC, by phone. None have allowed credit to BD in an E+ seat (I'm UA 1K).
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Consolidated "Economy+ seating while earning non-MP mileage" Thread [Merged]

I know I've seen this before, and my searching has come up empty.

There are two fields in the PNR, one for mileage accrual, one for "eliteness". The 1K agent said there was only one field. When I go an ticket a flight tomorrow, what do I need to tell the agent to get the correct mileage behavior?

Thanks...
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
I actually called about this exact thing yesterday, and am having the same problem. I got the "When I input a different frequent flyer number, it automatically deletes the other one. We will have to manually choose E+ seats for you".

I said fine, and when I looked it up online, my MP number was still attached to it, but my BD was also there under "Other Frequent Flyer Number". Now, I don't have a clue which one is set to actually earn the miles, but I know they are both there.

BTW, the two fields are FQTV and FQTS...searching for those may help. Let me know if you find anything.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 12:07 am

Just make sure that when you check in it states your BD number and not your MP number.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 8:54 am

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Have the agent put your UA# in FQTS and BD# in FQTV & you can keep Economy Plus seating while earning Diamond Club points. You have to of course find a GA who knows what these mean and takes the effort to put the info in....
Old Nov 4, 2008, 1:35 pm
5R2

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by sharmaintl
Have the agent put your UA# in FQTS and BD# in FQTV & you can keep Economy Plus seating while earning Diamond Club points. You have to of course find a GA who knows what these mean and takes the effort to put the info in....
I'm trying to do this right now for an upcoming flight (use my UA number for status and earn on my LH number). I was able to do this earlier in 2008 with no problems (June).

Just talked to an agent on the Premier Exec line, who was super friendly and helpful (unlike previous 2 agents). She said she no longer has access to the FQTS and FQTV fields. Regardless, she knew exactly what I was talking about and was frustrated because the system kept deleting my UA status from the record. She said she had done the same thing for someone else 2 weeks prior and there had been no problems. She manually assigned E+ seats and annotated in the record that they should not be changed. Anyone want to place bets on what seats I get when I check in on 20 Nov?

I'll report back on how well this works out...
Old Nov 4, 2008, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
The FQTV & FQTS thing *should* work, but I've found it causes more problems that it solves over all.

My advice is to put your UA # (FQTS) in the record when you purchase and keep it there until checkin, or even the gate depending on which is more convenient, and then switching to the BD (FQTV) number. This way you won't lose your seat/upgrade/status privs and you can be sure that your miles will credit right since you will have the BD number on the new reprinted BP you get from the checkin/gate.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 4:15 am

Economy Plus as *A Silver

Can I get seats in Economy Plus as a *A Silver cardholder?
Old Nov 27, 2008, 4:57 am

Programs: Some, not all.
Not unless you pay, or your *A Silver is with UA.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 7:16 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dg252
Can I get seats in Economy Plus as a *A Silver cardholder?
Absolutely-- you just have to pay the E+ buy-up that is offered on your reservation.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 7:19 am

Can I:
1) Enroll in Mileage Plus
2) Purchase E+ annual
3) Change my seats to E+
4) Change my FF number back to my *A partner account so that I can earn miles for my home carrier rather than the Mileage Plus miles

P.S. Would I stand any chance of an op-up to E+?
Old Nov 27, 2008, 8:29 am

Programs: UA MM Gold
Can I:
1) Enroll in Mileage Plus
2) Purchase E+ annual
3) Change my seats to E+
4) Change my FF number back to my *A partner account so that I can earn miles for my home carrier rather than the Mileage Plus miles

Great question. It appears that your E+ annual is a flag set to your M+ number, hence the requirement to join M+ IOT buy E+. IF you do this & get an E+ seat, then change your FF# to another program, you place at risk the assigned E+ seat. The system is set to dump people back into E-. I've seen this happen when a M+ # is pulled off a record for an instance to correct it, and bam, the E+ seat goes away.

There is always the possibility of being op-up'd into E+ (must admit I've never considered it a real op-up, but on a TATL or TPAC is certainly is). It is a matter of supply and demand. If the GA has more E- pax than E- seats, someone has to squirt up into an E+ seat.

Never count on it. Enjoy.....
Old Nov 27, 2008, 9:54 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion

Your best strategy to getting E+ for free is if you hold off from picking a seat assignment in E-, and then hope the E- seats fill up prior to the day of departure. Then you have a really good chance of getting a seat assigned in E+ when you check in at the airport.

The downsides to this are:
  • Only works if Y is very full
  • You might get stuck in an E+ middle
  • You might also still end up in E- middle
  • You will not be able to select a seat yourself via OLCI; only an agent at the airport can give you a seat assignment

Many people don't roll the dice on long transoceanic flights, and will go ahead and pick their preferred seat in E- and either suck it up and cope or buy up to E+ if offered at check-in.

Craig

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.