Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Can you use UA status for E+/UDU then switch accrual to another *A? [Merged - 2010]

Can you use UA status for E+/UDU then switch accrual to another *A? [Merged - 2010]

Old Sep 26, 2007, 9:16 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

If this has been covered in another thread, feel free to chastise and link me

If I want to use my 1P or 2P status to secure E+, is it then possible to later change the accrual to another *A program like US or BD or whatever?

If the answer is yes, is it done at the gate?

If you've had a sponsored CR1 given to you, does changing the accrual program undo that somehow? (I wouldn't think so)

And if done at the gate, and say you want to only change the outbound segment(s) is that possible, or does changing any change the whole PNR's worth? Similar question for return: If the UA miles have already posted for the outbound, and the return segment(s) is(are) credited to another program, do the early UA-credited miles somehow get removed?

Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2007, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by cblaisd
If this has been covered in another thread, feel free to chastise and link me
It indeed has been, and recently, too. Consider yourself thoroughly chastised, Mr. No-Search. However, I don't have a link for you, so I'm equally bad.

According to mahasamatman, the PNR should have space for two FF numbers - one for mileage earning and one for status-based issues (e.g. seating). I have not seen verification of this claim but I've seen the claim a couple of times.

Alternatively, you should always be able to switch your FF number at the gate, however if you do this on the outbound flight, you might need to have it switched back to MP for the return flight to ensure you're not swept out of E+... then do the same thing at the gate for your return flight.

(And miles should not get removed just because you credit the outbound to one program and the inbound to another. There's no requirement that you credit only round-trips.)
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:51 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The 2 fields are FQTV for mileage credit and FQTS for status recognition.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 12:02 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
So, if you make a booking at UAL.com using your MP# (for E+ purposes), does the booking fill in both of these fields in the PNR with your MP #?

And then one would call and ask to have the FQTV field changed to the other program?

This would obviously affect all as yet-unflown segments on the PNR.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 1:17 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
So, if you make a booking at UAL.com using your MP# (for E+ purposes), does the booking fill in both of these fields in the PNR with your MP #?

And then one would call and ask to have the FQTV field changed to the other program?

This would obviously affect all as yet-unflown segments on the PNR.
I'm not sure exactly how it works - whether both are populated or there is some logic check that says if field is blank look up based on the other field. Safest is to call and ask that FQTS be populated with UA#1234567890 and FQTV be populated with BD#2345678901.

You can ask for just individual segments to be amended (requires special key strokes and in my experience is prone to error), or the whole itinerary.

If you are cautious type you might like to then hang up and later call again and ask them to read out what is recorded against FQTS and FQTV to make sure it has stuck.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 7:30 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
I'm not sure exactly how it works - whether both are populated or there is some logic check that says if field is blank look up based on the other field. Safest is to call and ask that FQTS be populated with UA#1234567890 and FQTV be populated with BD#2345678901.

You can ask for just individual segments to be amended (requires special key strokes and in my experience is prone to error), or the whole itinerary.

If you are cautious type you might like to then hang up and later call again and ask them to read out what is recorded against FQTS and FQTV to make sure it has stuck.
Thanks for the info. Learning something new everyday here on FT.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Another data point.....

I put a hold on an itin via UA.com. I was, of course, logged in and was able, therefore, to select E+ seats.

However, in the drop-down box for which FF program, I put in a different *A (but still * Gold) number.

When I went back later to look at the held reservation, I had been booted back to E-

So it seems to me that perhaps the safest thing is to book with one's >3P UA MP # for E+ access, then do OLCI to preserve seat assignments, then change to a different *A carrier if desired at the gate or RCC or wherever.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
However, in the drop-down box for which FF program, I put in a different *A (but still * Gold) number.

When I went back later to look at the held reservation, I had been booted back to E-
All that really means is that united.com can't handle it correctly (surprise!), but it doesn't preclude an agent from setting it up as Kiwi Flyer said.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
All that really means is that united.com can't handle it correctly (surprise!), but it doesn't preclude an agent from setting it up as Kiwi Flyer said.
That's true, and I meant to thank Kiwi for his excellent tip as well.

It is interesting that when you look at a ticketed or held reservation on UA, there are in fact two different places for a FF number. So I may try Kiwi's approach and see if they then show up on the reservation as seen on UA.com
Old Sep 28, 2007, 5:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have ben able to book online and get a E+ seat and then call UA shortly after and have them enter my Air Canada Aeroplan # (with no status). The E+ seat remains intact

Another data point.....

I put a hold on an itin via UA.com. I was, of course, logged in and was able, therefore, to select E+ seats.

So it seems to me that perhaps the safest thing is to book with one's >3P UA MP # for E+ access, then do OLCI to preserve seat assignments, then change to a different *A carrier if desired at the gate or RCC or wherever.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 2:16 am
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM

I am going to try this, in terms of checking my itinerary on the UA website shows a space for the second number, so I should be able to verify both numbers and re check my seats online, will feedback on how it went.

tht
Old Oct 13, 2007, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Oh well. I just spent some time with 1K desk to change the FQTV to my BD account number instead of the 1K MP one. She didn't seem to have a clue about FQTV and FQTS.

When I pull up the reservation on da.bomb it does show, however:

Other mileage carrier: NA_admin.ibe_settings.lookup.carriers.British_Midl and,

(typical da.bomb fashion it seems to be f*****d up)

It does have my BD number on the Other mileage number-field.

Let's see how this work out next week when I take these flights.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 1:50 pm

Programs: LH FTL *S, UA 1P *G
At least this works fine the other way around: Had my LH FTL status and used this for perks like priority check-in, lounge access with LH, upgrades via miles etc. while crediting the mileage to MP. Worked fine for one year.

Sometimes the agents get a bit confused about which card does what, sometimes miles get posted to the other program, sometimes they posted miles on both programs () but in the end I obtained my 1P like this while still being LH FTL.

If I would lose my benefits when crediting to another program within *A on UA I would for sure complain: If my status card shows validity until a certain date I for sure am privileged to receive those benefits until that date.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 5:22 pm

Programs: LH FTL, BA Blue, UA Corpse
I had my FF# changed to LH at check-in on my ROC-ORD-FRA (relocation ) flight on Sunday. The check-in agent was very helpful and today my miles posted correctly in my LH account. He (and also the GA) assured that I will be recognised in the system as 1P (although the bp said LH*S). At ORD I had a very helpful GA ^ who assigned me to a different seat (14A) w/o neighbour. He spent a lot of time to ansure everything went the way I wished. He allowed even a peek at his computer screen which showed a
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$ Premier Executive $
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

on top of my record.

BTW: the 3 inches of more legroom in row 13 in the 777 appear to be a myth.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA1MM, QF/NZ/VA/UA/DL, etc...
Yep, I tend to do this a lot. Since I'm a lowly Premier with UA but prefer to post *A to my NZ account, I book my itin online at .bomb, get my E+ seat, and do the OLCI using the MP number. Then when I get to the airport, I just go to one of the self-checkin kiosks and enter my NZ mileage number. It keeps the E+ seat assignment and works every time.

The way I look at it, I'm not doing anything naughty, as I AM Premier so would get the E+ seat anyway, and hey, aren't miles a liability for a carrier? So UA should be happy that I'm putting that cost onto another

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.