Wiki Posts
Search

On the 6th Anniversary

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2007, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1KMM, HH-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hertz 5*
On the 6th Anniversary

On the 6th anniversary of 9/11 I'd like to send my thoughts and prayers to all UA employees, especially those who lost family and friends. I appreciate all you do everyday. I flew UA today and it wasn't apparent that any of the crew were thinking about it, but I'm sure they were. With all the tv shows on today regarding 9/11, very few even talk about or remember the UA and AA employees that were lost. I remember.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 6:32 am

Location: my posts are my sole opinion and do not represent the opinions of UAL CORP and their subsidiaries
Thank you. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 2P, PassPlus Flex, LAX Customer of the Year for 2006, UAL Shareholder
It was a quiet day yesterday flying LAX to JFKand back. All the employees and crew members that got Starbuck's cards yesterday did appreciate them though - and all of them did have 9/11 on their mind. With so many new employees, the mourning/rememberance is not as visible to the passengers as in past years, but many more are still working that will never forget.

Side, but related, note - did everyone see the Wall Street Journal article today discussing how air rage today is getting worse? A sense of entitlement still prevails and front line airline personnel are in the line of fire. So sad - its funny how we did this to ourselves by demanding low fares and first class service.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:21 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, UA Club Lifer, MC Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Crew Remembered

My wife and I were flying yesterday from ORD-SEA seated in row 2 of a 757. During the flight one of the flight attendants came back to ask my wife (seated in the aisle) to take their picture in the galley as a remembrance of being together on the anniversary of 9/11. As we landed in SEA the purser announced "thank you" to all the passengers who expressed messages of remembrance.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:52 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
I'll always remember 9/11 for the bravery of the individuals lost that day and their co-workers who have continued in the face of many, many challenges that aren't acknowledged often enough.

My LAS-DEN Ted flight was full and completely uneventful. It's a good day to fly - terrorists are the lowest of the low and I wouldn't stop flying even if I did feel afraid.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 12:30 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
i wrote this on 9/11 and gave it out in business card format to ua flight crews for an entire year as a way to show my support starting with my first flight on 9/20 (pre-planned and was not about to cancel it) and would you believe it that when i referenced it in another post a while back, a f/t'er posted that her roommate had it posted on the fridge.

do not let the ba$tards get you down
stand proud
we have been shaken
but we WILL NOT be moved
Old Sep 12, 2007, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Not only was it the anniversary of the date, I believe this was the first anniversary that aligned with the actual day, Tuesday.

It also aligned weather-wise - an absolutely cloudless, warm, glorious day here in Denver.

I flew UA DEN-GEG on 9/10/01. Needless to say, I drove back over the following two days.

I will check the memorial at DEN Concourse B this evening before I fly. Chances are it will be full of flowers and cards.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1MM), AS MVP
I flew yesterday DTW-ORD-PDX, and was quite surprised of having really no mention yesterday of the anniversary on board. DTW had a small board signed by airport employees by the entrance to security.

Until I got upgraded (last minute rebooking), all E+ middles were open - that was something I had not seen in a while.

On 9/8 a purser made a brief mention about those crews being the "true first responders" - that gave me pause for thought as I remembered how the day unfolded on 9/11/01.

Last edited by GimmeLegRoom; Sep 12, 2007 at 4:16 pm Reason: word dyslexia
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA 1P (residual DL, US, AS), SPG
I spent this 9/11 packing up my house to move into a new chapter of my life. The TV had already been packed but I had NPR and its full reporting of the anniversary events on to keep me company all afternoon while I was boxing up my furniture and possessions.

9/11/01 changed everything, including my partner being sent immediately to Afghanistan for several months, to serve with his Air Force medical team. His return and what unfolded after that changed everything yet again, which set in motion a series of events that now has me in yet another city, moving on again.

As I sat in my nearly empty living room on Tuesday, I was reminded that only change is constant, that we can never predict what events or incidences will close a door or open a window in our lives.

However, while things constantly change, one thing is certain: All who lost their lives that morning will never be forgotten, and the stories that I have heard about the impact of their lives and their loss on the "UA Family" in the last 6 years will continue to inspire me and make me proud.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Well, I did check the DEN memorial on Concourse B this evening. Only three cards (one appeared to be from Jason's wife) and two flower bunches. That in and of itself is a bid sad after only six years.

I didn't see a place to get flowers on the concourse, else I would have added to the ones there.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA1K
i have a bad feeling that over time 9/11 might be forgotten. well, maybe not forgotten, but not as life changing as it was for us six years ago. i'll never forget that day, and that day always goes through my mind when i step on a plane.

i'll also never forget my first flight afterwards. TYS-IAD-ORF on 9/20. the oddest two flights of my life. but i never felt safer than i did that day.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hertz P Circle
I flew out to EWR on the evening of 9/10 to come back the morning of 9/11. I was originally booked on EWR-SFO-SNA months ago, but schedule changes made it EWR-ORD-SNA.

On the morning of 9/11, I checked in early and went to the boarding area. Flight paging told me my flight was at gate 14. There were only 3 of us in the entire terminal at that time. My flight, a 757, was actually parked at gate 17. There was a flag waving above the jetway. This was the same gate used by 93 on 9/11/01. I don't know how to put in words what I felt at the time. Later some airport personnel placed a table and three candles (red, white and blue) by the window where I stood, presumably for a ceremony around 9am.

I didn't say anything to anyone, nor did anyone else mention anything regarding this particular date. I wouldn't know what to say anyway, feeling a bit loss for words as I walked down the same jetway that sent a group of people into history as heros.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.