Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will UA solve the UX problem in SFO?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2007, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K/3MM, AA & DL 1MM, *wood Plat, Hertz Pres.
When will UA solve the UX problem in SFO?

I go out of my way to NOT fly via SFO because of the problems with UX. Severly late flights, cancelled flights and gate agents who just don't care.

Tonight the 4pm flight SFO-MFR was cancelled because of equipment issues. The 5:55pm flight was severly delayed and then they announced a weight restriction.

I finaly spoke to a GS agent about this matter and they are only too clear about the matter. One said the UX contract was up later this year and it is doubtful Skywest will get it back because of all of the problems.

In my view, UX in SFO is becoming one of the weakest links for UA, because of UX.

If you asked to speak with a UX supervisor, as I did this evening -- twice, they are either busy or can't make it.

I have started to totally avoid SFO because of these problems and as we go in to fall/winter they will only go south from here.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 12:23 am

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Too many small planes clogging the skies.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 1:32 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
I have had only excellent experiences with SFO UX, and SkyWest in general. In fact, one of my favorite GAs, and possibly the (non-FT) one I know the best, is UX at LAX.

This coming from someone who is based out of a UX-only station, so every one of my trips starts and ends with a UX segment, either out of SFO or LAX.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 1:39 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by boeingair
I have had only excellent experiences with SFO UX....
My experience too.

Much of what Skywest gets dealt at SFO is not their fault, and they do the best they can (which is usually very good). SFO is a horrid place for a hub. When landings and takeoffs get halved due to weather, it makes far more sense for UA to cancel 30 seats than >100 seats on a mainline plane.

Most of my frustrations at SFO UAX have little to do with Skywest.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 2:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Amb
Originally Posted by UA1kMFR
I finaly spoke to a GS agent about this matter and they are only too clear about the matter. One said the UX contract was up later this year and it is doubtful Skywest will get it back because of all of the problems.
This is interesting ... what other regional carrier could they change to that has the necessary operational infrastructure west of the Rockies? Mesa?

I'm sorry, this just doesn't make any sense at all. SkyWest's service is consistently very good, and as others have noted, when SFO goes weather-bad it us *UA* that makes the decision about which flights are affected, so it is *UA* that decides which planes take off and land. That you ran into a mechanical, a weight restriction and a weather issue is bad luck and says very little about SkyWest.

The folks working the UX thumb at SFO can be a bit green sometimes, but they work their butts off and are constantly at the receiving end of pax ire because of circumstances well out of their control.

Last edited by espostor; Sep 8, 2007 at 9:29 am
Old Sep 8, 2007, 5:30 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Another vote for UX (Skywest) and putting the dog poo on UA's shoes (where it belongs).....this FAT/MOD flyer only rarely connects in DEN, so it's mostly SFO. I try to route LAX when possible, but the bus station for EM2 traffic is going to be a thorn.

I'm constantly amazed how many planes Skywest can move in and out of those high 70's gates.... once in awhile my MOD flight gets 87A and I can remember the good old days, but without the bus ride

Pat
Old Sep 8, 2007, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Calling UAX@SFO to save the day!
Old Sep 8, 2007, 9:38 am

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
SkyWest is the most professional and competently run airline in the US today. If it is having problems at SFO, the problems stem from UA or SFO. I have flown SkyWest many many times, every single time was a total positive as far as I was concerned.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 10:05 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by boeingair
I have had only excellent experiences with SFO UX, and SkyWest in general. In fact, one of my favorite GAs, and possibly the (non-FT) one I know the best, is UX at LAX.

This coming from someone who is based out of a UX-only station, so every one of my trips starts and ends with a UX segment, either out of SFO or LAX.
i too have had only great 'speriences with ux at sfo and during irrops, they have worked wonders (and yes, there is a f/'ter who is a ux g/a and a multiple time tootsie-pop victim )
Old Sep 8, 2007, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
I think he has been on vacation for the past month... see what happens?!?
Old Sep 8, 2007, 11:05 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by UA1kMFR
... I finaly spoke to a GS agent about this matter and they are only too clear about the matter. One said the UX contract was up later this year and it is doubtful Skywest will get it back because of all of the problems...
If this conversation actually took place, I think the agent was blowing smoke up your nose. Skywest is the jewel in the UX crown. The problems you mention - except for occasional stressed-out attitude from UX personnel - are SFO and UA related. There is nothing Skywest can do about the weather or SFO flow control issues or UA Operations changing schedules around.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Try ORD. You'll be wishing for the days of SFO.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I quite enjoy the UX service SNA-SFO.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 11:30 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
Indeed!
Old Sep 8, 2007, 11:57 am

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
As noted, I've *never* had an issue with SkyWest flights that was in any way attributable to SkyWest. Delays are going to happen when UA operates a hub in the City of Fog. Can't blame OO for that.

Weight restrictions are a fact of life on the Embraer props that SkyWest operates. The alternative would be shutting down most of the routes operated by them, such as SFO-MFR, because RJs would be entirely uneconomical.

And yes, UAX@SFO is a gem. UA should hire him to train their CSRs.

Last edited by FCYTravis; Sep 8, 2007 at 12:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.