Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will UA solve the UX problem in SFO?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2007, 12:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K, UA 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Avis Pref Plus, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
If this conversation actually took place, I think the agent was blowing smoke up your nose. Skywest is the jewel in the UX crown. The problems you mention - except for occasional stressed-out attitude from UX personnel - are SFO and UA related. There is nothing Skywest can do about the weather or SFO flow control issues or UA Operations changing schedules around.
Add another vote for this assessment of SkyWest. I could not have said it better or more succinctly myself. IME 90+% of the problems are due to weather, flow control, or some related issue beyond the control of SkyWest. When problems do occur, IME they go way out of their way to do anything they can to make things better, all the while dealing with irate, and often rude and disrespectful, passengers.

In short, ^ for SkyWest.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 1:16 pm

Programs: Whole Lot of Nothin' anymore - Thanks to baby!
I am in agreement with pretty much everyone else here. I've flown around 30 segs from MOD this year and have had very few, if any, serious delays. maybe an hour or two here and there but those are usually not the fault of Skywest.

The main delay I've seen is due to ATC/Weather. What do you want Skywest to do, call on mother nature to fix the problem?
Old Sep 8, 2007, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I agree with the positive assessments of SkyWest. While waiting at high 70's gate area the other day, there were no fewer than 4 intelligible gate change announcements made for each of the 3 or 4 flights that swapped gates within about 30 minutes. Contrast that to ORD UX gates, where you're often lucky if you get a single audible gate change announcement at all. And this thread doesn't even cover the good in-flight service on SkyWest operated aircraft. C'mon, three passes for drinks and snacks on two different 35 minute takeoff to touchdown flights last week?!? I was amazed by this! ^ Will SkyWest ever be able to afford to buy UA???
Old Sep 8, 2007, 1:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by avanpelt
Will SkyWest ever be able to afford to buy UA???
Boy, I wish! ^
Old Sep 8, 2007, 4:41 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
Calling UAX@SFO to save the day!
awwwww, you just busted my multiple tootsie-pop victim
Old Sep 8, 2007, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goalie
awwwww, you just busted my multiple tootsie-pop victim
Um, what?
Old Sep 8, 2007, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM ★G, DL Silver, Amtrak ES, Hilton Diamond,Nexus
Originally Posted by JAaronT
Try ORD. You'll be wishing for the days of SFO.
And if that does not work, IAD surely will.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 7:03 pm

Programs: RVT 1K
I also have to say I love the ua/skywest flights...I get basically a free flight to SFO, no parking or hassles...I hope it never goes away!!
Old Sep 8, 2007, 7:45 pm

As was said earlier, if you think SFO UX is bad, try ORD.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
I agree with every positive assessment of SkyWest in this thread. ^ Us folks out west are truly lucky to be served by such a great regional... especially given all the alternatives elsewhere in the country.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 12:26 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, Motel 6 Tin
Originally Posted by xevious
I agree with every positive assessment of SkyWest in this thread. ^ Us folks out west are truly lucky to be served by such a great regional... especially given all the alternatives elsewhere in the country.
Here's my take. SkyWest does the ground ops at my home station ABE, and I've flown them under the UAX banner elsewhere, too.

I have had some irrops with SkyWest (not many, but a few). The difference is this: every time I've had an irrop with SkyWest, they take responsibility for the issue and bust their butts for me - proactively. They treat me like they value me as a customer.

I believe the corporate culture is different at SkyWest, and I believe that culture filters down to all employees.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 12:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM
Just a note in support of the OP. I respect all the praise here for Skywest and am happy the posters didn't have my UX SFO experiences.

I fly between PDX and SFO often. It's a mix of mainline and UX. After half a dozen bad UX experiences on the route I now only fly UA metal. It's not great but my overall experience is greatly improved. My problems with UX at SFO were centered around clueless GAs and lateness (watching the next UA flight to PDX depart full and on-time while I twiddled my thumbs in the 70s got very old). Fog and flow control I know, so I'm mellow there. But constantly changing gates and being told "the inbound aircraft is 10 minutes out" gets old by the third hour. Yeah stuff happens, but try not to be so casual with how you treat your customers. Too many times I had to - nicely - let the UX GAs know that according to the departure screen right behind them, we had moved gates.

So again, I'm glad a lot of people have had good UX experiences at SFO but mine were very bad. And the fact that other stations are worse (ORD-SBN years ago was easily run by the most deplorable UX operation ever, a one-off outfit only for that route) doesn't for me let Skywest off the hook.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 12:48 am

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Welcome to FT ^
Old Sep 9, 2007, 4:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat
Wirelessly posted (xx: BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3)

Every one of my skywest experiences has been positive as well. Which stands in stark contrast to the hell hole known as IAD UX. All of it has been on RJ's so that might make a difference. Also in SLC I believe all the ground personel is UA, or if not they do an excellent job.
Old Sep 9, 2007, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by HonestABE
Here's my take. SkyWest does the ground ops at my home station ABE, and I've flown them under the UAX banner elsewhere, too.

I have had some irrops with SkyWest (not many, but a few). The difference is this: every time I've had an irrop with SkyWest, they take responsibility for the issue and bust their butts for me - proactively. They treat me like they value me as a customer.

I believe the corporate culture is different at SkyWest, and I believe that culture filters down to all employees.
I concur with HonestABE. The SkyWest flights that operate TUS-DEN have some of the best crews. They really do seem to care! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.