Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Palmdale Airport: Is it going to be a success?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Palmdale Airport: Is it going to be a success?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2008, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
United to Double the Number of Flights between PMD and SFO

I wonder if business is picking up at PMD or more subsidies are kicking in?

PALMDALE – Beginning September 3, 2008, United Airlines will double the number of flights between LA/Palmdale Regional Airport and San Francisco International Airport to improve convenience and provide new options for air travelers. San Francisco International is a worldwide hub where travelers can make easy connections to and from 35 connecting markets.

“This action is a positive step forward in our expansion efforts for Palmdale Airport to become a viable alternative to LAX for the hundreds of thousands of citizens living in the North County and throughout the region,” said Antonovich. “At a time when many airports and carriers are cutting back flights, United is increasing service, flexibility and convenience at LA/Palmdale Airport to anticipate future demand.”

In addition, the “Palmdale Flyer” bus service arrival and departure times will also be changed to accommodate the additional flights. For more information, visit www.lawa.org/pmd.

United Airlines flight schedule effective Sep. 3, 2008:

From LA/Palmdale to San Francisco

Departs: 6:00 a.m. Arrives: 7:32 a.m. (except Sunday)

Departs: 10:15 a.m. Arrives: 11:47 a.m.

Departs: 12:20 p.m. Arrives: 1:52 p.m.

Departs: 6:45 p.m. Arrives: 8:17 p.m.

From San Francisco to LA/Palmdale

Departs: 8:30 a.m. Arrives: 9:56 a.m.

Departs: 10:35 a.m. Arrives: 12:01 p.m.

Departs: 5:00 p.m. Arrives: 6:26 p.m.

Departs: 10:20 p.m. Arrives: 11:46 p.m. (except Saturday)
Old Jun 17, 2008, 3:11 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
maybe people are finding it a good option to connect to things through SFO -- since the airport is fairly reliable in terms of weather and operations?

flight stats
Old Jun 17, 2008, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Thats odd. I was sure they would axe the flight, it's on e-fares every weekend Must be subsidies like OP said.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 3:15 pm

Programs: United
that's just nuts. BUT it WAS more than two-thirds full the last time our dd took it... so maybe business is picking up? if they can make it work, that would be way cool for a lot of us ...
Old Jun 17, 2008, 3:18 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
This is a bizarre run, as is the PMD airport shack itself, the contingent of LAPD officers that has to drive there for every flight, and the free zero-passenger bus that connects to Van Nuys Flyaway. If I were an LA County taxpayer, I would try to recall Antonovich for wasting tax money, and diverting potential passengers from LAX. But I'm not - I live in the Bay Area.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 3:21 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
FWIW, this seems like a bet that demand will increase with higher frequencies. I don't know enough about PMD to predict whether this is true, but the real question is whether the weak demand that's been reported on FT before is due to lack of desire to fly from PMD, or lack of flexible timing with the current schedule.

We'll see how this shakes out!
Old Jun 17, 2008, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I understand more flights PMD-SFO, but the return?? You'd think that once out of PMD no one in their right mind would return
Old Jun 17, 2008, 4:28 pm
Original Member

Here is a news story detailing what the offer to United was in regards to the flights.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/busines...t_in_palmdale/
Old Jun 17, 2008, 4:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ryan182
You'd think that once out of PMD no one in their right mind would return
I think it's just to get the planes back there to allow more refugees to escape...
Old Jun 17, 2008, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Explore
This is a bizarre run, as is the PMD airport shack itself, the contingent of LAPD officers that has to drive there for every flight, and the free zero-passenger bus that connects to Van Nuys Flyaway. If I were an LA County taxpayer, I would try to recall Antonovich for wasting tax money, and diverting potential passengers from LAX. But I'm not - I live in the Bay Area.
Living in the Bay Area, you miss much of the heavily congested traffic around LAX. While I agree that running empty busses from Van Nuys (which will probably begin commercial service by the end of the year if landing curfews are successfully implemented at BUR) to PMD is a waste to taxpayers, I applaud Antonovich for recognizing the problem of overcrowding at LAX and working to establish viable alternatives for the residents of the San Fernando, Santa Clarita, and Antelope Valleys (a whole lot of people).
Old Jun 17, 2008, 6:16 pm

Maybe UA wants change its Southen California hub from LAX to PMD?

I can image the press release: United to launch CRJ service between PMD and LHR. (with 6 fuel stops). They could even make it all business class plane with what, 8 seats????
Old Jun 17, 2008, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
I had heard they were switching to the EMB-120's in order to increase frequencies and that the flights were operating somewhere near 35% capacity.

It is all about the subsidy until October 1, when apparently the Federal Government will allow folks to fly out of PMD, then we will see what kind of demand there really is.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TA
maybe people are finding it a good option to connect to things through SFO -- since the airport is fairly reliable in terms of weather and operations?

flight stats
Yeah, SFO is right up there for reliability when the weather gets funny.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by boifromtroy
I had heard they were switching to the EMB-120's in order to increase frequencies and that the flights were operating somewhere near 35% capacity.
If you try a mock booking for later this year, that's in fact what you're going to see.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 7:12 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by boifromtroy
In the link I provided that is what the folks at Palmdale wanted, the turboprops and two more flights a day. It also stated they were surprised there wasn't more demand for these flights and hope the additional frequencies help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.