Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Palmdale Airport: Is it going to be a success?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Palmdale Airport: Is it going to be a success?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2007, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver
Just a tip for you guys, even thought the car rental places close at 6pm, if you guys are returning the car to Palmdale airport you can simply leave the car in the parking lot, notify your rental company and they will allow you to leave the keys with UA. TRUST ME THIS AIRPORT IS AMAZING and A GAZILLION TIMES BETTER THEN LAX OR BUR!
Old Aug 19, 2007, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
I agree the promoters (LAWA, Palmdale, UA) have been too focused on the PMD outbound market. They close the 20th St gate at night so parking can be both safe and free. Car rental companies are those who serve the car dealerships and service centers that could also send a shuttle to get you. The inbound marketing strategy, if any, focuses on business travel which would arrive on the morning flight. UA heard the complaints, and they're changing the schedule. LAWA/Palmdale heard the complaints, and they're going to strengthen the car rental availability. At least that's what the local (A.V.) media are reporting.

Regardless, there's always a taxi or two waiting. So if you're checking into a local hotel on business, you won't need a car until the next day.

Currently the terminal is open for about 10-12 hours a day (flights 10-11 am, 6-7 pm), but with the new September schedule, it will be two full shifts for the cops (flights 6 am to 9 pm) but TSA can go home at lunchtime since there are no more departures.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:46 am
Original Poster

I am sure that HkCaGu will back me on this statement: Palmdale Airport is probabbly the most smooth and relaxing airport you will experience anywhere in the USA!!! ^
Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:57 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
I agree the promoters (LAWA, Palmdale, UA) have been too focused on the PMD outbound market. They close the 20th St gate at night so parking can be both safe and free. Car rental companies are those who serve the car dealerships and service centers that could also send a shuttle to get you. The inbound marketing strategy, if any, focuses on business travel which would arrive on the morning flight. UA heard the complaints, and they're changing the schedule. LAWA/Palmdale heard the complaints, and they're going to strengthen the car rental availability. At least that's what the local (A.V.) media are reporting.

Regardless, there's always a taxi or two waiting. So if you're checking into a local hotel on business, you won't need a car until the next day.

Currently the terminal is open for about 10-12 hours a day (flights 10-11 am, 6-7 pm), but with the new September schedule, it will be two full shifts for the cops (flights 6 am to 9 pm) but TSA can go home at lunchtime since there are no more departures.
I'll be landing at PMD in a few weeks on the flight that arrives at 8:41 p.m. so I guess I be getting my rental car the next morning.

When you say that the 20th St gate is closed will it still be possible for taxis to get to the terminal?

With my outbound flight at 6:00 a.m. I guess I'll be dropping the keys with UA as ballsandboards suggests.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 1:18 am
Original Poster

They dont close the gates until after everyone has left, probabbly sometime near 10pm. There is normally 2 cabs waiting for the flight as it comes in, if not they can be there in 5 mins. Where are you staying??
Old Aug 20, 2007, 1:41 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ballsandboards
They dont close the gates until after everyone has left, probabbly sometime near 10pm. There is normally 2 cabs waiting for the flight as it comes in, if not they can be there in 5 mins. Where are you staying??
I'm probably staying at the Hampton Inn Palmdale unless there is a hotel that operates a shuttle to PMD.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 8:52 am
Suspended

The security lines are never longer then 5 mins and there is free parking!!!
THIS AIRPORT IS AMAZING and A GAZILLION TIMES BETTER THEN LAX OR BUR!
Airport is probabbly the most smooth and relaxing airport you will experience anywhere in the USA!!!
Just FYI Hertz, Dollar and Enterprise all have location there!!!
Dude... it's just an airport. An inconvenient one, at that.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 10:35 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
An inconvenient one, at that.
You must not have any plans next spring to visit the Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve, with maybe a side trip to VCV to see the parked UA aircraft.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Dude... it's just an airport. An inconvenient one, at that.
Just out of curosity where do you normally fly out of??????
Old Aug 21, 2007, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I'm probably staying at the Hampton Inn Palmdale unless there is a hotel that operates a shuttle to PMD.
When are you flying inn? The hilton maybe open and they will def. have shuttle service as for the hampton I will check with the airport tomorrow and let you know! Feel free to PM me as I fly out of PMD more then any other passanger!!!
Old Dec 7, 2007, 1:43 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Post Palmdale airport service can't seem to get off the ground

United Airlines faces a lackluster response to its San Francisco flights

As the L.A./Palmdale Regional Airport today marks six months of resumed passenger service, officials are facing some sobering numbers: On average, only one of every three seats is occupied.

United Airlines' June 7 launch of twice-daily service to San Francisco marked more than the reopening of an airport that hadn't seen a flight offered by a major carrier in nearly a decade. It also opened a front in Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa's campaign to relieve pressure on aging, cramped Los Angeles International Airport by spreading out air traffic to the region's other airports.

United has agreed to stay at least 18 months.

rest of article:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...ck=2&cset=true
Old Dec 7, 2007, 9:21 am

Programs: UA1K
Just out of curosity where do you normally fly out of??????
read the name, that should give a clue. i'm sure PMD is easy to use, but unless you're going to palmdale, it's kind of useless. BUR is much more convenient for me then LAX in terms of going to LA.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by tom911
United has agreed to stay at least 18 months.
And then it's "Don't let the door hit you on the way out!" Another failed experiment. I'm not sure why they ever though it would work.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And then it's "Don't let the door hit you on the way out!" Another failed experiment. I'm not sure why they ever though it would work.
It would work because LAWA is subsidizing it--so for UA there is almost no downside.

It would work for LAWA to take the poilitical pressure off while they move forward with fixing up LAX by promoting "regionalization".
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:31 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Perhaps one day there will be a direct train/metrolink from PMD to downtown Los Angeles as some lawmakers have proposed. There is certainley plently of room for expansion.
How close is the Metrolink Station to PMD?

http://www.metrolinktrains.com/stati...ail.php?id=114

I've ridden this line and it is a very nice train and good scenery. Might be a good option if PMD ever gets a foothold.

If I lived downtown and could take a nice train ride that puts me at the doorstep of an airport, that would be worth considering for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.