Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

More SYD/MEL related delays/cancellation [Merged Threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More SYD/MEL related delays/cancellation [Merged Threads]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA*1K, BA Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Baze
If you go to Home/my profile/easy update notifications you can set a quiet time and they won't contact you during that time period.

Be sure you check the box to deliver messages sent during the quiet time or you won't get them.
It wasn't Easyupdate. A UA agent (person) called me at 5am!
Old Nov 29, 2011, 1:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
Originally Posted by flyGreg
I would be happy getting a call at 5am, considering where I live, I need to leave at the latest 7am to not get stuck in traffic to the airport or leave late and hope nothing happens causing me to missing my flight.

I've had the human calls too, but normally when I'm 1/2 way to the airport already, once when I was already checked in, having breakfast in the RCC
Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Baze
If you go to Home/my profile/easy update notifications you can set a quiet time and they won't contact you during that time period.

Be sure you check the box to deliver messages sent during the quiet time or you won't get them.
Are you confident this works in local time?
5am in MEL is midday in ORD.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 5:20 pm
Suspended

839 20th/12th returned to LAX, looks like it was delayed almost 24hours, but it is on the way.
870 22th/12th Cancelled, 839 normally becomes 870 on the return.

All dates are local.

No wonder my 870 flight tomorrow filled up rather quick!
Old Dec 21, 2011, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aspen
Are you confident this works in local time?
5am in MEL is midday in ORD.
The times are where your profile address is.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyGreg
One of the Easy Update options is a human phone call. You can set a quiet time for it.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
We fly out in a week SYD-LAX and for once the upgrades are cleared up front and we have seats together upstairs.

Hope and pray the flight is not cancelled as my last LAX flight this year was.

First I knew about that was on Flyertalk - UA did not tell me, and we ended up in a middle coach seat on Delta surrounded by screaming kids. Great.

So this year there is not the extra daily service they often add at Xmas time?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ozstamps
So this year there is not the extra daily service they often add at Xmas time?
Haven't seen it this year

So we went from MEL-LAX then SYD-LAX and now nothing

I would love to have the MEL-LAX flight back, but that means Annie would miss out on chocolates
Old Dec 21, 2011, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Asuka
Haven't seen it this year

So we went from MEL-LAX then SYD-LAX and now nothing

I would love to have the MEL-LAX flight back, but that means Annie would miss out on chocolates
QF 747-400ER MTOW 910,000lbs
UA 747-400 MTOW 875,000lbs

I'm not sure what sort of weight restrictions the extra ~500 miles MEL over SYD cost UAL but I guess it was not insignificant.

Maybe we'll see a non-stop LAX-MEL when UAL get the new 787.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 7:37 pm

Programs: VAG
Aw, shoot, my friend was supposed to be coming over on UA870 today, just heard it was cancelled! We're supposed to be going skiing on Friday! (Also, there's no snow at Lake Tahoe, but that's a different disappointment...)

Never mind, found out while writing this comment that they've stuck her on a QF A380 already and she won't be all that late. And she'll probably have a much better flight!

Hmm, what's the mileage earning situation under these circumstances?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Jorgen
Never mind, found out while writing this comment that they've stuck her on a QF A380 already and she won't be all that late. And she'll probably have a much better flight!
In coach? Certainly a much better in-flight entertainment experience. Have you friend call UA and ask for "original routing credit" which should give them the UA miles they were expecting.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by tom911
In coach? Certainly a much better in-flight entertainment experience. Have you friend call UA and ask for "original routing credit" which should give them the UA miles they were expecting.
Ah, groovy. Actually I have no idea whether she collects United miles or not, I was just curious, but I'll be sure to let her know.

(Buying a cheese danish at the airport and watching it slowly go stale over a period of fourteen hours would be a better in-flight entertainment experience than a United 744.)
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tom911

Remember to sign them up for QF as they will get Qantas (or AA or whatever) miles AND United miles of course later.

Indeed my last flight on UA that got cancelled a few months back they put us on Delta. Buy in Y class as plane was near sold out.

so we got all Delta miles - about 7500 to USA, PLUS the Fare class bonus (50%?) and I think 100% on top of it all as we were Delta Golds or whatever due to some status match we had.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ozstamps
First I knew about that was on Flyertalk - UA did not tell me, and we ended up in a middle coach seat on Delta surrounded by screaming kids. Great.
Abit an@l, but I always check the flights from the US are actually on their way from take off SFO/LAX, 1/2 way is a pretty good guess they will arrive, except fog delays.

Should we do this, NO, but hey, if I didn't check today, I would have never known.

SYD needs to reduce the cerfew to 5am, so tired of sitting in my seat in the US being told, delayed due to landing, MEL is 24 hours, but that's for another thread.

I know there are range issues, but I wouldn't have thought an extra 439 miles would have put an issue on the non ER's, given the distance they covered in the first place.

The LAX-MEL flights were weight restricticted, but those flights were seasonal.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Asuka
839 20th/12th returned to LAX, looks like it was delayed almost 24hours, but it is on the way.
870 22th/12th Cancelled, 839 normally becomes 870 on the return.
There were two UA839's arriving in SYD today (23rd, Sydney time). They were referring to the first one in as the "delayed" 839, so I'm guessing that was the one from the 20th whilst the other 839 arrived at roughly the same time UA863 did.

To make it worse it sounded like some of the luggage from the "delayed" flight had been put on the on-time flight, so people were waiting around for it.

UA863 was due to land about 30 mins early, but they ended up slowing us down and we landed roughtly on time from the north - a first for me for flights from the US which normally come in from the south.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.