Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

More SYD/MEL related delays/cancellation [Merged Threads]

Old Aug 5, 07, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, QF Silver (Club), Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*

Noticed 863 (SFO-SYD) was delayed on Sat Aug 4 till Sunday 15:15 now scheduled into SYD at 22:12 tonight (Monday)

870 (SYD-SFO) today has now been cancelled and 840 (SYD-LAX) is now delayed by 2 hours departing at 15:45..

Any one have any idea on the issue with this one?
Old Aug 6, 07, 12:37 am

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
More SYD Delays Mon 6 Aug

I see the SYD SFO flight today has been cancelled and the SYD LAX flight is running late.

Poor UA are not having much luck recently.

Anyone knows what todays problem is about?
Old Aug 6, 07, 5:33 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Just speculating (so pls dont flame me) but have you checked the flight loads? Maybe UA decided to save some money and combine the two flights and send all the SFO bound pax on internal flts from LAX or perhaps it was mx delays?

Sorry I dont have any data, but hopefully someone can shed some light. From the times I have checked the flts (not regularly) it seems SYD-LAX is often late but not by much - say 15 to 30 mins.

Have you checked on flightstats.com (I think thats the one that gives the arrivals/departure stats etc)?
Old Aug 6, 07, 8:09 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by Downunder girl View Post
Just speculating (so pls dont flame me) but have you checked the flight loads? Maybe UA decided to save some money and combine the two flights and send all the SFO bound pax on internal flts from LAX or perhaps it was mx delays?
One of the airlines best source of profits is from shipping international cargo that can make a lightly booked flight profitable, so it is probably unlikely. However, there is a cynical side of me that says this may be possible.
Old Aug 6, 07, 8:18 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Downunder girl View Post
Combining two flights does not work unless you can do the same thing on the return, i.e. get all the next day's pax from SFO/LAX to SYD on the one 747 that you brought back.

And this is much harder than sending people from SYD to SFO or LAX, where you're changing their onward connection. In this case, you might be changing people's first flight of their itinerary, which would cause lots of trouble if anyone didn't get the message. Even if it were possible, then you would have to coordinate the SFO or LAX passengers to get to the SYD flight, unlike on the outbound where you have all the SYD passengers in one place and can send them as needed. Difficult and disruptive, at least I cannot imagine how they'd accomplish that, although I guess it has probably happened out of necessity sometime before. Maybe by providing a dedicated special flight just for those connecting passengers, etc.

Last edited by TA; Aug 6, 07 at 8:30 am
Old Aug 6, 07, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by chitownflyer View Post
One of the airlines best source of profits is from shipping international cargo that can make a lightly booked flight profitable, so it is probably unlikely. However, there is a cynical side of me that says this may be possible.
I'd be more likely to believe that because of a light CARGO load they combined 2 flights. If you haven't figured it out yet, UA treats its cargo better than passengers. How many times have you been left sitting at the gate waiting for some "last minute cargo"? Never passengers, only cargo.
Old Aug 6, 07, 10:06 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by flyinbob View Post
I'd be more likely to believe that because of a light CARGO load they combined 2 flights. If you haven't figured it out yet, UA treats its cargo better than passengers. How many times have you been left sitting at the gate waiting for some "last minute cargo"? Never passengers, only cargo.
Really? How often is that "last minute cargo" actually passenger luggage?

To set the record straight, I've never experienced a delay for cargo (other than luggage), and have experienced delays on international flights waiting for connecting passengers.

I think the main reason that UA normally does not usually hold flights for connecting passengers is because delays cause further downline problems, i.e. makes the next flight late, causes missed connections at the destination, etc.

As far as cancellations and delays go, I think UA's interests and the customer's interests are fairly well aligned. Alignment doesn't mean that everything will turn out the way you want it though.
Old Aug 7, 07, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Am I reading this right (on UA.com flight status)?

it looks like the delayed SYD-SFO flight was renumbered 9795 and it TOO was canceled.

Lot of people stranded in SYD!!

Any FT reports on what went on?

Lurker
Old Aug 7, 07, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lurker View Post

it looks like the delayed SYD-SFO flight was renumbered 9795 and it TOO was canceled.

Lurker
No idea what caused UA9795 to cancel, but FLIFO does say due to "ARPT."

F:9795/07AUG
FLT CNCLD
FX/XX/1635CT/FLT CNCLD/ARPT
Old Aug 7, 07, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, QF Silver (Club), Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post

Lurker
I think maybe that was the shuttle flight to get the out of synch plane back? (because the two flights needed for the next day both come in, in the morning, so third not needed)

But not sure if that is stuck at SYD?
Old Aug 7, 07, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flights from SYD don't seem very packed on August 8 though.

WE 08AUG
1 UA 870 F6 C9 D9 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 SYDSFO 240P 1100A 744 0
1 UA 840 F9 C9 D9 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 SYDLAX 145P 1014A 744 0
Old Aug 7, 07, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies View Post
Flights from SYD don't seem very packed on August 8 though.
No wonder they're delayed and/or cancelled, right?
Old Aug 7, 07, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rch4u View Post
No wonder they're delayed and/or cancelled, right?
I know you're kinda joking, but no, I do not buy the "cancel flights if empty" argument, especially when you're talking about a major network carrier, which thrives on routing airplanes through the network. Cancelling a segment like SYD-SFO because of rumored low loads (no confirmation from me on this, for the record) doesn't make sense, because then the airplane would sit in SYD with nothing to do. That airplane would otherwise be routed onto NRT or something the next day. Without that airplane back in SFO or LAX, it's not easy to find a replacement to operate those onward flights.

A serious answer to your semi-joke, but I know that some folks truly believe that it happens.
Old Sep 6, 07, 3:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA*G
I flew UA 839 LAX-SYD on Aug 31.

On arrival at LAX I discovered that the flight was listed as being 3 hours late (changed to a 01:30 am departure) due to "maintenance". Oh joy, I thought. Then, at 11 pm, the RCC closed and we were all thrown out to wait the next 2+ hours in the gate lounge (also, the flight was oversold).

As 1.30 am approached, we were told that there would be further minor delays, and we eventually boarded around 2 am, as I recall. Then the comedy of errors continued. The captain announced on the PA that the external machine that starts the engines was US, and that the mechanics were looking at it, so there would be a further delay.

Eventually, this engine starting machine (the only one at LAX, apparently) was fixed, the engines roared into life, and we got away at about 2.30 am (almost 4 hours late). Needless to say, no one was offered anything while we waited and we just had to suffer in silence.

To add insult to injury (or is it the other way round) the connecting flight SYD-MEL departed before we arrived (even though UA839 is advertised as going to MEL), thus further inconveniencing dozens of pax, who were then allegedly booked by UA to MEL on other airlines.

As far as I was concerned, I missed my pre-paid ground transportation and had to pay a considerable sum out of my own pocket to get to where I was going. Great work United!

The sooner there is more competition AUS-USA the better. United provide such awful service, but the planes are always full. I don't think this situation will last forever, though. But UA's accountants don't seem to be listening.
Old Sep 6, 07, 6:01 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Grace B I am sorry to hear of your story ex LAX SYD

Does this happen often to/from SYD?

Search this Thread