Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA and TAM to Partner!

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2007, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by holtju2
I would still argue, however, that their domestic OPS aren't anything special. It is basically a Ted service, although you get a sandwich and a beer or two. No business class domestically.
Domestic = Intra-Brazil/Argentina or throughout the continent?

I rarely fly C/F so a good Y is important to me
Old May 18, 2007, 1:30 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
Post Press Release

Press Release Source: TAM

TAM and United Airlines Sign Memorandum of Understanding for Codeshare and Frequent Flyer Programs
Friday May 18, 2:30 pm ET
Agreement will enable TAM and United customers to connect to new South American and United States destinations and will expand frequent flyer opportunities for customers of both carriers

SAO PAULO, Brazil, May 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- TAM Linhas Aereas (Bovespa: TAMM4 and NYSE: TAM) and United Airlines (NASDAQ: UAUA - News), a founding member of the Star Alliance, will sign today a memorandum of understanding to develop an agreement that enables the airlines to offer codeshare flights with each other and expands international destinations and frequent flyer opportunities for customers of both carriers.

The proposed agreement will result in more options for customers traveling between Brazil and the United States. The agreement includes the implementation of codeshare on TAM and United flights, giving customers of United's Mileage Plus® and TAM's Fidelidade programs the opportunity to earn and redeem miles to destinations never-before served.

More...
Old May 18, 2007, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Now if TAM would fly to Australia or New Zealand, we could have some interesting Southern Hemisphere RTWs...
Old May 18, 2007, 1:58 pm

Programs: Former DL GM, NW Platinum, UNITED PREMIER, STARWOOD GOLD, RG, LP, US, AA & OTHERS
Thumbs up Good news!

^ This get's a BIG thumbs up from me.
I am happy to hear United is taking TAM away from AA.
So I guess TAM will fall into the postion RG once had and become a "Star", or should I say "The Star" in Brasil
Voe-Gol has missed the boat on this one and I guess w/their revenue, market share, and running poor old RG out they don't give a hoot.
Thank you TAM & UAL!!! Woo hoo
Old May 18, 2007, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
Actually I had checked that already. I could only find news about the UA agreement and not any comments about dropping AA.
I found it. The other articles didn't seem to mention AA, but this one says if the agreement is approved, TAM will drop AA.
http://www.mercadoeeventos.com.br/sc...72&IndSeguro=0

Also, I believe the stated reason for the switch is that TAM feels they'll be able to cover more US markets with UA.
Old May 18, 2007, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Now if TAM would fly to Australia or New Zealand, we could have some interesting Southern Hemisphere RTWs...

Put JNB/CPT in and it would be fun.
Old May 18, 2007, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1KMMGS, EK Skywards Silver, SPG Gold,
Drat, I just flew TAM yesterday within Brazil.

Nice airline. Cute FAs
Old May 18, 2007, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by hawkxp
Put JNB/CPT in and it would be fun.
SA already flies from South Africa to Brazil.
Old May 18, 2007, 4:14 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
SA already flies from South Africa to Brazil.
Yes. SA flies JNB-GRU and then codeshares with JJ to several other cities in Brazil.
Old May 18, 2007, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Great news. But just think of how hard it is going to be trying to connect to TAM in MIA and JFK since UA is so big in those cities
Old May 18, 2007, 9:31 pm

Now TAM is announcing an upcoming partnership with Lufthansa:
http://portalexame.abril.com.br/ae/e.../m0129497.html
Old May 19, 2007, 10:18 am

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by rrgg
Also, I believe the stated reason for the switch is that TAM feels they'll be able to cover more US markets with UA.
I just don't see how this is true.

And AA has way more flights going south to connect to TAM.
Old May 19, 2007, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
I just don't see how this is true.

And AA has way more flights going south to connect to TAM.
The stated reason seems like BS. That's why I asked what's in it for TAM.
Old May 19, 2007, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
I read that AA only lets TAM book certain amount of seats on each flight of theirs whereas I'm sure UA will let TAM with open arms to improve loads/yields on their SA flights. They will probably fill UA codeshare flights with connecting pax and use NYC/MIA for O+D.
Old May 19, 2007, 5:28 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Originally Posted by rar indeed
Ahaha, ^! DEN is kinda off too... and ATL... and WAS... and DAL... and BOS... and NYC... and PHL...

Now to wait for the JJ abandoned LAX-bound pax in rural NM threads...
That's obviously taken from the DC Comics maps where the cities are moved to allow room for Metropolis, Gotham City, Star City (up where Boston used to be), Keystone City, and Coast City (before it sank and then un-sank) in LA's place. If you look closely, you'll see there is now room for Metropolis since NYC has been pushed west of the Hudson.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.