UA and TAM to Partner!

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2007, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
UA and TAM to Partner!

Rumored by a.net and now potentially confirmed by this article:
Tam e United anunciam parceria

Será anunciada oficialmente amanhã a nova parceria da Tam com uma companhia aérea estrangeira: a United Airlines. A parceria estratégica bilateral que será assinada pelo presidente da Tam, Marco Antonio Bologna e pelo Vice-presidente sênior de Alianças e Assuntos Internacionais e Regulatórios da United Airlines, Michael Whitaker.

O evento será realizado na Academia de Serviços Comandante Rolim Adolfo Amaro e também estarão presentes John Tague, vice-presidente executivo de Receita da United; Josué Meza, diretor de Vendas para a América Latina da United; e Paulo Castello Branco, vice-presidente de Planejamento e Alianças da Tam.
Link: http://www.mercadoeeventos.com.br/sc...21&IndSeguro=0

Hopefully it is true: this is the translation from free translation (Tam is Have)
It will be announced officially tomorrow new partnership of the they Have with a foreign air company: to United Airlines. The bilateral strategic partnership that will be signed by the president of the Have, Landmark Antonio Bologna and by the senior Vice President of Alliances and Regulatory and International Matters of the United Airlines, Michael Whitaker.

The event will be carried out in the Commander Service Academy Rolim Adolfo Amaro and also will be presents John Tague, executive vice president of Prescription of the United; Josué Meza, director of Sales for the Latin America of the United; and Paulo Castello White, vice president of Planning and Alliances of the Have.
Old May 17, 2007, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA, AA
The translation made me lol.
Old May 17, 2007, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Major blow to AAdvantage members.
Old May 17, 2007, 7:10 pm

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
Here's my translation:

A new partnership between Tam and a foreign airline, United Airlines, will be announced officially tomorrow. The strategic bilateral partnership will be signed by Tam's president, Marco Antonio Bologna and by United Airlines' Senior VP for Alliances and International Issues and Regulations, Michael Whitaker.
Then it mentions that a few other executives from both airlines will be present.

Any ideas about the terms of the partnership? This could be huge for me if it involves reciprocal mileage accrual and redemption and not just codesharing. Are they ending their partnership with AA?
Old May 17, 2007, 7:14 pm

There's also recent news of a partnership between TAM and TAP: http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=196376 .

TAM (NYSE: TAM) (Bovespa: TAMM4) and TAP Portugal, a Star Alliance member, are executing today a Memorandum of Agreement establishing a comprehensive alliance that comprises several areas, taking advantage of the synergies arising from their respective networks, products and services in the routes connecting Brazil and Portugal. By next July, the companies will implement a code share, which will translate into a significant increase of flight options for passengers, as well as into the linkage of the companies' mileage programs, TAM's Fidelidade and TAP's Victoria.
(bolding mine). Do these steps indicate a future *A move by TAM? That would be absolutely wonderful ^ .
Old May 17, 2007, 7:16 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Anything particularly noteworthy about TAM, aside from the obvious South American connections?
Old May 17, 2007, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
What routes (with UA connections) does TAM fly?
Old May 17, 2007, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TonySCV
Anything particularly noteworthy about TAM, aside from the obvious South American connections?
Absolutely wonderful premium cabin product.
Old May 17, 2007, 7:29 pm

TAM is a solid airline, and South America right now is a depressing hole in the *A/United partners network.

You can see the destinations they serve here: http://www.tam.com.br/b2c/jsp/defaul...&adArtigo=2808 .

Something I noticed is that their international destinations in South America are not served by TAM (JJ) but "TAM Mercosul" (PZ). Does anybody know the relationship between these airlines? Hopefully the partnership will be with both, otherwise the usefulness will be severely limited.
Old May 17, 2007, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
This is very interesting because TAM has been in bed with AA for quite some time.

Their domestic service is OK but nothing to brag about IMHO. Haven't flown them internationally though.
Old May 17, 2007, 9:27 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
This is great news ^ ^

JJ is a banker airline.
Old May 17, 2007, 9:46 pm

duplicate
Old May 17, 2007, 9:48 pm

Maybe it's just my browser, but I hope their pilots don't use the map of the US on the link from the above post (Is LA in greater New Mexico?).
Old May 17, 2007, 10:10 pm

^

I guess TAM thought wonders of that relationship with AF.

Also, my Portuguese must be bad, I thought I read someone assassinated someone.
Old May 17, 2007, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by schwarm
Maybe it's just my browser, but I hope their pilots don't use the map of the US on the link from the above post (Is LA in greater New Mexico?).
Ahaha, ^! DEN is kinda off too... and ATL... and WAS... and DAL... and BOS... and NYC... and PHL...

Now to wait for the JJ abandoned LAX-bound pax in rural NM threads...

Last edited by rar indeed; May 17, 2007 at 11:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.