Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Does the Frequent Flyer Passenger have to pay for an "Agent Error"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2007, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL, AA, others

I was flying from Washington, DC to Nairobi, Kenya on an electronic ticket with Frequent Flyer miles from United. On my return ticket, in Nairobi, I was told that in order to fly I needed to produce a paper ticket. I had only an electronic ticket.

I attempted to resolve this issue right up until departure of this leg of my flight (Nairobi to Zurich) at which point, in order to be allowed to board the plane, I was required to purchase a one way segment... $654!

United Customer Relations now admits that it was an ""Agent Error"" that lead to this confusion. They offered to refund the miles of the Nairobi to Zurich segment as compensation. I want my money back!

What do you think? Do I have any recourse to getting my money refunded?
Old May 6, 2007, 11:59 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, Sue Bea. As this incident occurred with United, I am moving this over to the UA Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old May 6, 2007, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the surface, it seems unfair that you should have to pay. I think you should both get a refund of the miles and the cash you paid.
What airline were you flying from NBO-ZRH?
Old May 6, 2007, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA MM / Plat
Sorry to hear about your experience - what a pain!

One route which may work is disputing the charges ($654 for NBO-ZRH) with your credit card company, if that's possible.
Old May 6, 2007, 12:47 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
How so? The charge was for the airline, the mistake was made by United?

Unfortunately for the OP, s/he made a voluntary decision to buy the ticket. The correct course of action would have been to have United rebook him/her and pay the costs associated.
Old May 6, 2007, 12:54 pm

Programs: LH, SA, AA
Originally Posted by soitgoes
What airline were you flying from NBO-ZRH?
Must have been LX.
Old May 6, 2007, 1:00 pm

Welcome to FT!

My question is which agent made the "agent error" - the one who failed to generate a paper ticket or the one who refused to accept the e-ticket? That would be the airline that should accept responsibility.
Old May 6, 2007, 1:03 pm
das

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by stevenshev
How so? The charge was for the airline, the mistake was made by United?

Unfortunately for the OP, s/he made a voluntary decision to buy the ticket. The correct course of action would have been to have United rebook him/her and pay the costs associated.
I'm not sure I agree with you here. It looks like UA screwed up and LX in JNB was not able to resolve the issue, requiring the OP to buy a ticket to travel.

IMHO, UA should just sort this out with LX so the OP gets a refund. Likely it's easier for UA just to refund the miles, so I'd just call back and be persistent. Do a credit card dispute as a last resort - it will be messy because it's UA's error and LX's charge - but it will force LX to resolve the issue with UA.

Stevenshev, if you were the OP what would you have done? Spent an extra day in JNB at your own expense, and possibly not even have a seat available on the next flight?
Old May 6, 2007, 1:13 pm

Programs: United 1P, AA Plat, US Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by das
Stevenshev, if you were the OP what would you have done?
stevenshev, I'm also curious to hear what you would have done. Called 1-800-UA-INDIA from JNB?
Old May 6, 2007, 1:21 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
I would have done what the OP did and I would have been pissed. But I'm saying that if the OP wanted UA to pay, s/he may have very well taken the wrong action.
Old May 6, 2007, 1:24 pm

Programs: United 1P, AA Plat, US Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by stevenshev
I would have done what the OP did and I would have been pissed. But I'm saying that if the OP wanted UA to pay, s/he may have very well taken the wrong action.
I don't think the OP took the wrong action at all. By selling the ticket, UA is legally obliged to transport you as agreed. Because LX refused to accept said ticket, it's either because the ticket was set up incorrectly by UA, or because of an arbitrary decision by LX. I'd say the former is much more likely, and therefore, UA should compensate.
Old May 6, 2007, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA
I am not sure where is that JNB coming from? The OP was in NBO, not JNB.
Old May 6, 2007, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by das
IMHO, UA should just sort this out with LX so the OP gets a refund. Likely it's easier for UA just to refund the miles, so I'd just call back and be persistent. Do a credit card dispute as a last resort - it will be messy because it's UA's error and LX's charge - but it will force LX to resolve the issue with UA.
I'd second this; the dispute is messy, but may be the only way to get the airlines to talk and UA to pony up.
Old May 6, 2007, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by capetonian
Must have been LX.
Yeah. I found the flight--LX293. I asked because I couldn't find a *A flight on the route. I didn't find it at first because LX293 doesn't operate every day and the random day I chose to search was one of the non-op days (Tuesday/Sunday).
Old May 6, 2007, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sue Bea
United Customer Relations now admits that it was an ""Agent Error"" that lead to this confusion.
Whose agent made the error? LX in Kenya or UA when the award was ticketed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.