Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAD-Dubai to start soon

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2007, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by mecabq

Also, Qatar Airways, possibly the best airline in the world (along with SQ) (and superior to Emirates in my limited experience, which does not include long-haul), announced that it is beginning service from DOH to NYC and IAD (unclear whether it would be separate flights or a continuation).
DOH-IAD is a daily nonstop. (346)
DOH-EWR is 4 x weekly via GVA (332)

Cheers
Old May 1, 2007, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Count me in as among those who'd be excited about this. I agree with the posters who question the ability of UA IAD-DXB to compete with other premium products, especially if it's IAD-KWI-DXB, hindering the value of the route for connections onward from DXB.
But if this route turns out to be targeted at the government cargo/pax, the premium product really doesn't matter. Thanks to the Fly American Act, it'll be lucrative for any US carrier able to get there. The only 2007 GSA city pair for Dubai is NYC-DXB on AA.

Last edited by djerikd; May 1, 2007 at 10:24 pm
Old May 1, 2007, 10:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by djerikd
But if this route turns out to be targeted at the government cargo/pax, the premium product really doesn't matter. Thanks to the Fly American Act, it'll be lucrative for any US carrier able to get there. The only 2007 GSA city pair for Dubai is NYC-DXB on AA.
How does NYC-DXB on AA happen, a code-share? DL is to do this on their own plane, but AA, CO, NW, US definitely don't do NYC-DXB on their own planes.
Old May 2, 2007, 6:05 am

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by roadkit

You may not have noticed, but there's this little thing going on in the country next to Kuwait. Lots of Americans there, mostly government.

I don't think they'll have any problem filling these up.

i don't believe the loads IAD-KWI have been great. it's all about the cargo. it just doesn't make sense to have two flights from IAD-KWI/DXB, especially since the plane is on the ground at KWI for 6+ hours.

it'll be IAD-KWI-DXB
Old May 2, 2007, 7:07 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by haddon90
it'll be IAD-KWI-DXB
Or maybe IAD-DXB-KWI. Cargo is a lot more patient than passengers. I imagine customers will be more likely to spring for an DXB non-stop from the U.S. than 1-stop service through KWI. Afterall, EK offers a pretty good non-stop alternative.
Old May 2, 2007, 12:31 pm

that's true. either way, it'll be part of the KWI flight.
Old May 2, 2007, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Being part of the KWI flight makes sense. Just how UA hops over to MVD from EZE.
Old May 2, 2007, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
The only 2007 GSA city pair for Dubai is NYC-DXB on AA.
Are you sure about this? No DL (operated by Air France)?
Old May 2, 2007, 2:06 pm

Are you sure about this? No DL (operated by Air France)?
According to the October 1, Fiscal Year 2007, Airline City Pair Awards spreadsheet, yes. I opened it and did a search for DXB and the only result was NYC-DXB on AA out of JFK/EWR/LGA.

All this means is that travel between NYC and DXB should be on AA or an AA codeshare. Since there are no other GSA city-pair awards, any other origination city could be served by any airline, with preference going to US-flagged carriers (and foreign carriers operating on a US carrier's codeshare).

I'm not familiar with the route, since I usually fly to BAH (UA to LHR, BA (AA codeshare?) to BAH). However, doing a dummy booking SAN-BAH through the DTS travel portal I could pick flights on Northwest/KLM, UA/LH, DL, CO/AF.

Last edited by djerikd; May 2, 2007 at 2:22 pm
Old May 2, 2007, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
According to the October 1, Fiscal Year 2007, Airline City Pair Awards spreadsheet, yes. I opened it and did a search for DXB and the only result was NYC-DXB on AA out of JFK/EWR/LGA.

All this means is that travel between NYC and DXB should be on AA or an AA codeshare. Since there are no other GSA city-pair awards, any other origination city could be served by any airline, with preference going to US-flagged carriers (and foreign carriers operating on a US carrier's codeshare).

I'm not familiar with the route, since I usually fly to BAH (UA to LHR, BA (AA codeshare?) to BAH). However, doing a dummy booking SAN-BAH through the DTS travel portal I could pick flights on Northwest/KLM, UA/LH, DL, CO/AF.
I think the only AA codeshares into DXB would be on BA, via LHR. I guess this is the preferred route. AA used to codeshare with LX on the ZRH-DXB route, but that is long gone.
Old May 2, 2007, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
How does NYC-DXB on AA happen, a code-share? DL is to do this on their own plane, but AA, CO, NW, US definitely don't do NYC-DXB on their own planes.
Yes, a codeshare will satisfy the Fly American Act.
Old May 2, 2007, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by haddon90
i don't believe the loads IAD-KWI have been great. it's all about the cargo. it just doesn't make sense to have two flights from IAD-KWI/DXB, especially since the plane is on the ground at KWI for 6+ hours.

it'll be IAD-KWI-DXB
One of the things that will take some time is for units to be aware of the IAD-KWI flight. I know when I went over back in Nov/Dec, nobody at any of the units I was working with were aware of the flight. They were all thrilled at cutting out the 6+ hours via going through FRA.

Over time people will realize it's an option and start booking it over thier 'usual' flights.
Old May 2, 2007, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by mymiles2go
One of the things that will take some time is for units to be aware of the IAD-KWI flight. I know when I went over back in Nov/Dec, nobody at any of the units I was working with were aware of the flight. They were all thrilled at cutting out the 6+ hours via going through FRA.

Over time people will realize it's an option and start booking it over thier 'usual' flights.
that would be great. i'm sure there is a lot of traffic that would do IAD-KWI, but i think the loads right now are low. fill that plane up! if UA does go to DXB, i would love to do a stopover in KWI just to say i've been to kuwait.
Old May 3, 2007, 12:26 am

If UA can get the IAD-DXB route i am sure they will just fill up based on the traffic to the indian subcontinent. The main reason, almost all mid cities have connections from Dubai unlike from Europe. THere is a huge population arround IAD that has to either IAD -NYC-DXB- IND or IAD- EUROPE-DUBAI-IND. If you remove europe out of the equation you can be competitive on the fare by about 200-300 dollars just avoiding the fees. THat said i prefer DXB because i can meet up with my friends on a break journey!

THat said status miles or not for the same fare i will not move from Qatar or EK to us based carrier for a 20 hr flight. Forget UA being competitive to EK in premium seats they are not even competitive in the Economy (including the E+). BTw i have atleast gotten Buss. (but not F) upgrades every time i fly EK on one leg or the other. So they do have free premium seats (only other airline that equally matches free upgrades (w/ horrible service) is BA ... atleast to india).
Old May 3, 2007, 7:18 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by CApreppie
Being part of the KWI flight makes sense. Just how UA hops over to MVD from EZE.
That should be hopped, not hops....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.