Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2007, 5:15 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
I've happily batted 17/18 segments with ch.9 on YTD and the one not on was only LAX->SFO. I agree that if it's not on on boarding, most of the problems are with the in-flight audio system not operating or not set properly. I also like to follow the lead of many FTers and thank the Capt. for sharing it with us.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 6:10 pm
LLW

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Hey, I did that just today too! Captain was greeting passengers during boarding and the line was at a standstill, and he was right there so I said, "Channel 9?" He said, "Yes ma'am," and I said, "Thank you."

An FA who overheard the exchange said a passenger had told him the reason he flies United is that he can listen to ATC. Then he added, "Of course it's kind of funny when the passengers know about irregular ops before we do ... 'We're diverting to Houston? I didn't know that.'"

Last edited by LLW; Feb 23, 2007 at 10:25 pm
Old Feb 23, 2007, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by xj47
The launch code for the nukes was CPE1704TKS

Yes, I am that much of a geek.
"Well god damn it, I would piss on a spark plug if I thought it would do any good. Let that boy in there major!" I am amazed with your knowledge of the launch code... and now that I see it, I remember.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 9:24 pm

So when they roll out domestic internet service for UAL next year, will the captains' who turn off channel 9 also petition corporate to block the ATC audio websites?
Old Feb 23, 2007, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jgoodm
So when they roll out domestic internet service for UAL next year, will the captains' who turn off channel 9 also petition corporate to block the ATC audio websites?
They discontinued the onboard internet idea, since Connexion by Boeing was discontinued.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:20 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by VentureForth
and on 737's it's not offered at all.
Don't know if the idiot entertainment guide says this, but it's false.
All mainline a/c have the capability.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:36 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
I LOVE channel 9. I always put the headset on and listen. I've had mixed luck though getting it. I had one flight around dec 20 or so from ORD-DEN where the pilot specifically said no and he didn't think people should be asking to hear it. Further, the FA who relayed this information was just about as snoty and condescending (sp?) as any I've ever met (he was that way through the entire flight). I got his name and actually sent a letter to UA mentioning what a complete ... this guy was.

on the other hand. I had one pilot (DTW-DEN if I remember correct) who literally talked almost the entire trip. He talked about his flying experience, what we were flying over, united as a company (he loves it), etc. Was one of the best flying experiences of my life. He asked for a thumbs up when deplaning if we were listening and liked hear him. I gave him a hearty thumbs up (one of many). I wish I had gotten his name so I could send united a letter commending him. I also remember him because he requested a 'rolling stop' at DEN where we coasted to the end of the runway to be closer to the gate I guess. Smoothest landing I've ever had.

I always ask for channel 9 if it's not already on.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:51 pm
LLW

Originally Posted by sdadept
on the other hand. I had one pilot (DTW-DEN if I remember correct) who literally talked almost the entire trip. He talked about his flying experience, what we were flying over, united as a company (he loves it), etc. Was one of the best flying experiences of my life. He asked for a thumbs up when deplaning if we were listening and liked hear him. I gave him a hearty thumbs up (one of many). I wish I had gotten his name so I could send united a letter commending him. I also remember him because he requested a 'rolling stop' at DEN where we coasted to the end of the runway to be closer to the gate I guess. Smoothest landing I've ever had.
I've had two flights where the FO did this. He started by saying he figured if folks were listening to channel 9, they'd be interested in hearing about our plane, our route, etc. Boy, could he yak! I loved every minute of it.

I remember he told us they would be using autoland because that function has to be used monthly to stay certified, and our flight had been chosen for the monthly certification flight. He added that pilots generally don't like to use autoland ("we like landing ourselves; we're proud of our good landings") and this one might be a little rougher than a pilot's landing (I didn't notice any difference though). I found it all mighty interesting and did send United a commendation the first time it happened.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 7:38 am

I certainly feel for FLYINRYAN's frustrations. I find this more common on the 757. Even though these planes have been in service for years, the FA's still seem unware that they often disable the entire entertainment system when they turn off the safety video. I've been trying to ask either the FA or the flight deck crew(if the cockpit door is open and the crew doesn't look busy) -
for CH 9 as I board, especially if I'm in Y. Unless I have tight connection, I try to delay deplaning until the flight deck door is open ( or unless MRs JJ is tugging at my heels) to thank the crew. I suppose it doesn't hurt to put it on the post-flight survey either. I might be in the minority, but I believe that the captain should have the option to make CH9 available. I've heard some awful stories from Captains (sitting next to me and gossiping) about passengers who "misunderstood" something, and the paperwork and frustrations they endured in the UA bureaucracy to get everything resolved.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jgoodm
"Well god damn it, I would piss on a spark plug if I thought it would do any good. Let that boy in there major!" I am amazed with your knowledge of the launch code... and now that I see it, I remember.
< geek out >
Joshua!
< / geek out >
Old Feb 24, 2007, 10:47 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
25 years ago I decided to fly AA instead of UA. (UA had upset me - reasons not relevant here). So today I have 2.9 million lifetime on AA, 150k on UAL. Relevance? Not having Channel 9 is the one thing I regret about my decision.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 11:20 am

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
I wonder if it was the same FO who talked almost my entire flight. Was a wonderful experience. Did he ask you to give a thumbs up on your way out if you were listening?
Old Feb 24, 2007, 12:12 pm
LLW

Originally Posted by sdadept
I wonder if it was the same FO who talked almost my entire flight. Was a wonderful experience. Did he ask you to give a thumbs up on your way out if you were listening?
No, but he said he had little airplane "baseball cards" for anyone who wanted one, and we should just ask him in the jetway -- which might've been his way of seeing how many were listening/interested. (I can't remember if it was a 737 or an A320; I've got the whole set anyway.)

I had a question about the autoland function he mentioned so I talked to him for a while, and during that time several people stopped to thank him and take a card.

The other time it happened, he didn't. Not sure if it was the same guy on my two flights.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Originally Posted by violist
Don't know if the idiot entertainment guide says this, but it's false.
All mainline a/c have the capability.
I think what the poster meant was that the entertainment guide says that 'From the Flight Deck' isn't offered as an option for 737's. He/she was not implying that 'From the Flight Deck' is not ever available on 737's.
Old Feb 24, 2007, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by mudba
I have gotten mixed results.

In Y - "If it's on it will be on channel 9"
In F - "I'll call the captain and ask him for you"

At one point on a FRA-ORD flight in F, it was turned off mid flight. I made a comment to the FA that they turned it off. She walked up to the galley and called the captain. A few moments later she returned back to my seat and said "It's back on again"
Is it easy to turn off accidentally?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.