FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   The Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Thread [Merged] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/663743-consolidated-channel-9-availability-thread-merged.html)

UAORDFLYER Feb 23, 2007 5:15 am

The Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Thread [Merged]

As I notice that more and more of my flights don't have Channel 9 available, I've gotten into the habit of when I board the a/c I ask the FA if it will be on. I've had pretty good success as either they say yes right away, or if they don't know they peek into the flight deck and ask the captain who says yes, so far on about a half a dozen flights it's worked.

Anyone else do this?

GoingAway Feb 23, 2007 5:25 am

Either that or ask if I can talk stick my head into the cockpit myself to speak with the Captain. That's actually been more interesting when they're just hanging out waiting for folks to board, having completed their pre-flight check and paperwork stuff already.

karenkay Feb 23, 2007 6:16 am

they need to know we like it and want it on--i ask when boarding as well, and make a point of thanking the pilots for it when i de-board.

i did have a pilot coming back from asia who said it 'wouldn't be on' this flight, but he gave me a flight map and a cockpit tour (with another pic of me in the captain's seat) to make up for it!

dhammer53 Feb 23, 2007 6:52 am

Originally Posted by UAORDFLYER (Post 7278334)

Anyone else do this?

You mean there are some of us that don't? ;)

If the pilot says no, I tell them I'm not a lawyer. ;) Pilots wory about someone 'misunderstanding' what's being heard - not us, non-flyertalkers.

This increases the channel 9 rate by 10%. :cool:

dh

lucky9876coins Feb 23, 2007 7:13 am

Fortunately, I have Channel 9 on an overwhelming percentage of flights, so I rarely have to ask. Sometimes I pay the pilots a visit in the cockpit before the flight and mention Channel 9, and they always have it on. Sometimes they even let me turn the switch.:D

_Manta_ Feb 23, 2007 8:13 am

I've had mixed results on my last few flights. Most have been turned off when boarding the plane, and like everyone else, I just ask nicely when we board, or when the FA's are walking through the cabin.

Another thing I do is make a comment about Ch9 on ualsurvey.com after the flights. Don't know if that helps or not, but at least I feel like I'm telling someone about Ch 9 awareness.

Too bad Ch 9 can't be like the other channels where its just on all the time with no real control over it.

Do the rest of you feel like you are the only ones asking for Ch9 at all? Sometimes I'll wait to see if someone else asks before asking the FA's. I've gotten some strange looks from the FA's at times.

GoingAway Feb 23, 2007 8:26 am

I have noticed that when I specifically request it, either directly or via the FA, the Captain is more likely to include a listen to Channel 9 for ATC type info, with his/her general greeting to the cabin.

mudba Feb 23, 2007 8:42 am

I have gotten mixed results.

In Y - "If it's on it will be on channel 9"
In F - "I'll call the captain and ask him for you"

At one point on a FRA-ORD flight in F, it was turned off mid flight. I made a comment to the FA that they turned it off. She walked up to the galley and called the captain. A few moments later she returned back to my seat and said "It's back on again"

xj47 Feb 23, 2007 9:20 am

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins (Post 7278739)
Sometimes they even let me turn the switch.:D

Ohh! Shiny button!

That aside, I had one rough week where 5 of my 6 flights (including one transcon) did NOT have it available. Let me rephrase that. Two of them said _no_ while my audio IFE was completely shot on the other three.

Aside from that, I've had good luck with it just being on and asking the FA to call over to the captain if it wasn't already so. Gonna start poking my head in the cockpit from now on :D

Phoenician Aviator Feb 23, 2007 9:39 am

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins (Post 7278739)
Fortunately, I have Channel 9 on an overwhelming percentage of flights, so I rarely have to ask. Sometimes I pay the pilots a visit in the cockpit before the flight and mention Channel 9, and they always have it on. Sometimes they even let me turn the switch.:D

So that's why my last flight was so bumpy! United has been letting you mess around with their airplanes. ;)

carl92103 Feb 23, 2007 10:05 am

I referred my brother to UA one time and even upgraded him so he would have a good experience. Well all went bad with delays and poor service. He was not that impressed. The first three flights did not have channel 9. Finally on the last flight they had it on and it made him a UA convert. I think channel 9 is very unique and wish more pilots would turn it on. I am going to start asking before departure.

DogHead Feb 23, 2007 10:16 am

Few weeks ago on LHR-SFO. Initially Ch9 is off, so I ask FA about it. Minute later she's back "Ch9 will be on 45 min into the flight and then 45 min prior to landing". "Is there a specific reason?" I ask. She comes back with answer from cockpit "They say there's nothing interesting in-between". I say: "Tell the Captain that I like boredom". She comes back laughing: "Captain wants to know if you're one of >them< ". I reply: "Yes... with special handshake and all". Last message from cockpit: "Captain says: >May force be with you<".

Result? Ch9 was on for whole duration of the flight.
During first drink service I asked FA if she wasn't bothered by messaging between cockpit and my seat. She said: "Not at all, it was very funny and interesting".

Otherwise, fantastic LHR/SFO based crew... UA needs more employees like them.
I e-mailed UA with commendation.

pilottim747 Feb 23, 2007 10:21 am

I've requested it three times with mixed results:
1. Asked the captain directly (he said he normally doesn't have it on but he would turn it on for this flight)
2. Asked FA in E-, FA called the flight deck, flight deck said Ch 9 wasn't working (seems like a long shot that Ch9 wouldnt work but the rest of the audio entertainment was working).
3. Asked FA in E+, FA called the flight deck, flight deck just said no.

^ Good work flight attendants for calling the flight deck for pax.
Sounds like asking while boarding is probably the best way, however.

SFO 1K Feb 23, 2007 11:07 am

I just completed an ORD-FRA flight and heard it on when I did my seat test in business. But 10 minutes later, it was off. I asked the FA at the greeter position and he said if it's on, you'll hear it. He then proceeded to go into a diatribe about how in this "new world" he thinks it's a terrible idea to have it on and no one out here -- points to passenger cabin -- should know what's going on up there -- points to cockpit. I was dumbfounded. And I will be registering a complaint. This was a mostly German crew and they were horribly lazy all around. The pax in F got good service, but the few of us in C (it was almost wide open) were ignored throughout the flight.

marcg11 Feb 23, 2007 11:11 am

Glad to know I am not the only one who loves Ch 9 :)

For the record, I only had 1 flight (out of 22) that didnt have it on, but this year my first flight didnt (It was only to Denver, so I didnt bother asking), but my return did. Thanks to those who probably asked to have it turned on for me last year....