United elite prepaid travel card?

 

Old Feb 6, 07, 11:26 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: STL
Posts: 363
United elite prepaid travel card?

I was reading up on it, the details are not out yet, supposed to be this month, my question is:
$5000 for IP, how long we have to use these 5000? does this have to be in one year or no expiry? meaning you can use this 5000 for rest of your life?
thanks
ziqch is offline  
Old Feb 6, 07, 11:36 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: We got lucky9876coins
Programs: Life IS good !!!
Posts: 3,180
Not for the rest of your life

You have typically until the end of February of the following year to use the funds. Cannot buy someone else's tickets either.

Any amount left over after that will be refunded to you minus a penalty fee IIRC.
dcgators is offline  
Old Feb 6, 07, 11:39 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: STL
Posts: 363
Originally Posted by dcgators View Post
Not for the rest of your life

You have typically until the end of February of the following year to use the funds. Cannot buy someone else's tickets either.

Any amount left over after that will be refunded to you minus a penalty fee IIRC.
Hmmm, would you know how much is the penalty fee, the way i see it one can go ahead and get IP or IK card and dont use it and get money refunded while enjoying the elite status, all you have to pay is penalty. am i right in this assumption or? missing something?
thanks
ziqch is offline  
Old Feb 6, 07, 11:51 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: CLT
Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Posts: 6,549
Originally Posted by ziqch View Post
Hmmm, would you know how much is the penalty fee, the way i see it one can go ahead and get IP or IK card and dont use it and get money refunded while enjoying the elite status, all you have to pay is penalty. am i right in this assumption or? missing something?
thanks
Last years offer had a 50% penalty after $250 less $100 processing fee.


15. If You have a remaining balance over $250 on February 28, 2007 on your Card account, You will receive a travel voucher good for air travel on United, United Express or Ted for the first $250 on Your account and will receive a refund from United of fifty percent (50%) of Your outstanding balance above $250 less a $100 processing fee. Please allow a minimum of 12 weeks for delivery of travel voucher and refund.
planeluvr is offline  
Old Feb 6, 07, 12:13 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Programs: UA 2P
Posts: 26
Originally Posted by ziqch View Post
I was reading up on it, the details are not out yet, supposed to be this month, my question is:
$5000 for IP, how long we have to use these 5000? does this have to be in one year or no expiry? meaning you can use this 5000 for rest of your life?
thanks
Is it 5k for 1P? I thought it was $5k for 2P, $10k for 1P, and $20k for 1k? My memory might be hazy though.

edit: errr. did you mean 1P or "IP" -- what's "IP"?
wanderlust77 is offline  
Old Feb 6, 07, 12:14 pm
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold Card holder; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Posts: 48,527
Originally Posted by wanderlust77 View Post
what's "IP"?
It's a 1P in Rome.
mahasamatman is offline  
Old Feb 6, 07, 12:23 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SF Bay Area
Programs: UA 1K, Starwood/Marriott Plat, Others of little note
Posts: 1,146
Originally Posted by wanderlust77 View Post
Is it 5k for 1P? I thought it was $5k for 2P, $10k for 1P, and $20k for 1k? My memory might be hazy though.

edit: errr. did you mean 1P or "IP" -- what's "IP"?
Those were the amounts last year, I think.
jedison is offline  
Old Feb 6, 07, 12:34 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: delta, united, alaska
Posts: 209
Interestingly, I have called a couple of times--first time they said they did not know if the card is being offered and yesterday they said it will be but they do not know when---does anyone know specific date?
Also, does anyone know if you can use it for tickets on partners purchased through United.com?
seadoc is offline  
Old Feb 6, 07, 12:36 pm
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: GVA (Greater Vancouver Area)
Programs: DREAD Gold Card holder; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Posts: 48,527
Originally Posted by seadoc View Post
does anyone know specific date?
Also, does anyone know if you can use it for tickets on partners purchased through United.com?
All the available information is at http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51196,00.html. And please don't comment on the 20087 date - we've seen enough of that already...
mahasamatman is offline  
Old Feb 6, 07, 1:08 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: STL
Posts: 363
thanks for the info i think i confused 1p and 2p.
ziqch is offline  
Old Mar 3, 07, 1:31 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CVG/YYZ
Programs: UA Gold, AC, AA, DL, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 11,219
Is UA prepaid travel card available?

I may travel a lot in the next few months, and was trying to get information on the prepaid travel card. Throughout Feb, the website said the prepaid travel card was no longer being offered for sale this year, and to return in Feb. 2007 (huh? that confused me). Today I checked, and it said the same thing, except to return in March 2007 (again, huh?) Does anyone know if UA is selling the cards this year? Is there anyone out there who has one? I know AA is still selling AAirpass.
emcampbe is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread