FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   United elite prepaid travel card? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/656931-united-elite-prepaid-travel-card.html)

ziqch Feb 6, 2007 10:26 am

United elite prepaid travel card?

I was reading up on it, the details are not out yet, supposed to be this month, my question is:
$5000 for IP, how long we have to use these 5000? does this have to be in one year or no expiry? meaning you can use this 5000 for rest of your life?
thanks

dcgators Feb 6, 2007 10:36 am

Not for the rest of your life

You have typically until the end of February of the following year to use the funds. Cannot buy someone else's tickets either.

Any amount left over after that will be refunded to you minus a penalty fee IIRC.

ziqch Feb 6, 2007 10:39 am

Originally Posted by dcgators (Post 7168754)
Not for the rest of your life

You have typically until the end of February of the following year to use the funds. Cannot buy someone else's tickets either.

Any amount left over after that will be refunded to you minus a penalty fee IIRC.

Hmmm, would you know how much is the penalty fee, the way i see it one can go ahead and get IP or IK card and dont use it and get money refunded while enjoying the elite status, all you have to pay is penalty. am i right in this assumption or? missing something?
thanks

planeluvr Feb 6, 2007 10:51 am

Originally Posted by ziqch (Post 7168769)
Hmmm, would you know how much is the penalty fee, the way i see it one can go ahead and get IP or IK card and dont use it and get money refunded while enjoying the elite status, all you have to pay is penalty. am i right in this assumption or? missing something?
thanks

Last years offer had a 50% penalty after $250 less $100 processing fee.

15. If You have a remaining balance over $250 on February 28, 2007 on your Card account, You will receive a travel voucher good for air travel on United, United Express or Ted for the first $250 on Your account and will receive a refund from United of fifty percent (50%) of Your outstanding balance above $250 less a $100 processing fee. Please allow a minimum of 12 weeks for delivery of travel voucher and refund.

wanderlust77 Feb 6, 2007 11:13 am

Originally Posted by ziqch (Post 7168695)
I was reading up on it, the details are not out yet, supposed to be this month, my question is:
$5000 for IP, how long we have to use these 5000? does this have to be in one year or no expiry? meaning you can use this 5000 for rest of your life?
thanks

Is it 5k for 1P? I thought it was $5k for 2P, $10k for 1P, and $20k for 1k? My memory might be hazy though.

edit: errr. did you mean 1P or "IP" -- what's "IP"?

mahasamatman Feb 6, 2007 11:14 am

Originally Posted by wanderlust77 (Post 7169001)
what's "IP"?

It's a 1P in Rome.

jedison Feb 6, 2007 11:23 am

Originally Posted by wanderlust77 (Post 7169001)
Is it 5k for 1P? I thought it was $5k for 2P, $10k for 1P, and $20k for 1k? My memory might be hazy though.

edit: errr. did you mean 1P or "IP" -- what's "IP"?

Those were the amounts last year, I think.

seadoc Feb 6, 2007 11:34 am

Interestingly, I have called a couple of times--first time they said they did not know if the card is being offered and yesterday they said it will be but they do not know when---does anyone know specific date?
Also, does anyone know if you can use it for tickets on partners purchased through United.com?

mahasamatman Feb 6, 2007 11:36 am

Originally Posted by seadoc (Post 7169153)
does anyone know specific date?
Also, does anyone know if you can use it for tickets on partners purchased through United.com?

All the available information is at http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51196,00.html. And please don't comment on the 20087 date - we've seen enough of that already...

ziqch Feb 6, 2007 12:08 pm

thanks for the info :) i think i confused 1p and 2p.

emcampbe Mar 3, 2007 12:31 am

Is UA prepaid travel card available?

I may travel a lot in the next few months, and was trying to get information on the prepaid travel card. Throughout Feb, the website said the prepaid travel card was no longer being offered for sale this year, and to return in Feb. 2007 (huh? that confused me). Today I checked, and it said the same thing, except to return in March 2007 (again, huh?) Does anyone know if UA is selling the cards this year? Is there anyone out there who has one? I know AA is still selling AAirpass.