Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Has a UA FA ever been disciplined for poor service?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2006, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS

Have you ever seen an UA FA get disciplined? The FA who kicked the breast feeding woman of the Delta flight has just been disciplined. Have you ever seen UA do this when an FA goes over board in their authority?

Last edited by iwebslinger; Nov 17, 2006 at 7:17 pm
Old Nov 17, 2006, 7:11 pm

Plenty of flight attendants at UA get disciplined, as well as flight attendants at every other airline. The person who has the gripe is not necessarily notified of when/where/how the discipline took place. This is very private information and should remain so.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 7:18 pm
Liz

Programs: MP
Originally Posted by iwebslinger
Have you ever seen an UA FA get disciplined? The FA who kicked the breast feeding woman of the Delta flight has just been disciplined. Have you ever seen UA do this when an FA goes over board in their authority?
I know plenty of people who get in trouble, but not always for pax-related issues. It's private when an employee is disciplined. In fact, I'm pretty shocked DL announced they disciplined the f/a (I haven't read this, just going off of what you are saying). As a side note, I was called in once because a pax complained the flight was too cold!
Old Nov 17, 2006, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ClipperClub
Plenty of flight attendants at UA get disciplined, as well as flight attendants at every other airline. The person who has the gripe is not necessarily notified of when/where/how the discipline took place. This is very private information and should remain so.
Do they really get disciplined for bad customer service?

Last edited by iwebslinger; Nov 17, 2006 at 7:25 pm Reason: Made a negative generalization - there are still good FAs in the UA system
Old Nov 17, 2006, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Liz
I know plenty of people who get in trouble, but not always for pax-related issues. It's private when an employee is disciplined. In fact, I'm pretty shocked DL announced they disciplined the f/a (I haven't read this, just going off of what you are saying). As a side note, I was called in once because a pax complained the flight was too cold!
Will the union make a stink about this?
Old Nov 17, 2006, 7:29 pm
Liz

Originally Posted by iwebslinger
Will the union make a stink about this?
What union? DL doesn't have one. Although wasn't this an DL connection or Express carrier? They might have one.

Yes, f/a's can be disciplined for poor service, but it is generally part of a larger pattern. UA is mainly concerned with sick calls.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 7:32 pm

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Liz
I agree ... they usually don't say if anyone was disciplined. A couple of years ago, when American Airlines had the pilot who told Christians on board to identify themselves and suggested the non-Christians discuss their faith with them, I wrote a letter asking what disciplinary action had been taken .

AA refused to disclose what actions they had done (right or wrong).

(By the way, it's coming up on three years since I've flown AA ... the boycott fromt his incident continues - to UA's gain).
Old Nov 17, 2006, 8:23 pm
Suspended

SHE was.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 8:39 pm
Liz

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
SHE was.
True. I have no problem with f/a's being disciplined for bad behavior. But there should be an investigation, making sure all facts are known.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Originally Posted by Liz
True. I have no problem with f/a's being disciplined for bad behavior. But there should be an investigation, making sure all facts are known.
Agreed. But I am curious as to how the airline accomplishes this when the only input from the complainant is the original letter/ email. Or does UA call back the passenger and say, "the FA says such and such...what is your rebuttal?"
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:07 pm
Liz

Originally Posted by Babu
Agreed. But I am curious as to how the airline accomplishes this when the only input from the complainant is the original letter/ email. Or does UA call back the passenger and say, "the FA says such and such...what is your rebuttal?"
I don't know what they do. But I'm sure you wouldn't enjoy if someone wrote in (possibly falsely) and then you were disciplined for no reason or for something out of your control, such as the cabin temperature!! I was written up once by a pax, but they were NRSA so it didn't go very far. In fact, I had my rebuttal ready to go in my mailbox just in case they had the nerve, and they did!
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:08 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, AA Gold, UA Premier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Silver
All employee disciplinary actions are confidential. Any employer who would willingly disclose what happened in a disciplinary situation deserves whatever judgment would be entered against them for acting in such a wreckless manner.

It is no one else's business but the airline, the employee and any union that might represent the employee.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Originally Posted by Liz
I was written up once by a pax, but they were NRSA so it didn't go very far.
::shocked-eyes::

to that NSRA.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
SHE was.
How do you know if she was disciplined?
Old Nov 18, 2006, 12:03 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
I asked this question to a friend whos wife is a UA FA. He confirmed most of the above. It is important to be reliable and in uniform. After this, UA looks for patterns. If a FA has worked hundreds of flights and interacted with thousands of passengers, then gets a complaint it probably will not be held against them. Several letters, and you begin to see a pattern of poor service. UA also has investigations. They use terms like 'fact finding' and 'objective', but apparently nobody believes this. If one is involved in one, then UA is out to get you. The union may play an important role here. Many of the supervisors are so one-sided, new, and not very good that one would not trust their futures in their hands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.