Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to improve Y product?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2006, 10:20 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Originally Posted by cepheid
I believe the reason chasbondy called it "a crock" is because (to paraphrase chas' post) the GAs said chas was "fortunate to even be boarded" because the "flights were overbooked." If the flights were truly overbooked, doesn't policy dictate that they open E+ to non-elites? If that's the case, claiming the flight is overbooked yet asking for payment for E+ seems like a misrepresentation. Then again, I could very well be misinterpreting the E+ policy on oversold flights.
Flights are overbooked all the time.

If pax don't show up by a given point in time, they may lose their reservation / seat assignment.

Without a flight & pax manifest, there's no way to know the percentage by which the original poster's flight was overbooked, how many passengers failed to show up (thus giving up their seats), how many said passengers were elite (occupying E+), etc. etc.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I'd be ok with the same E+ seats in Y, but AVOD alone would be an absolutely enourmous improvement which would completely revamp the United Economy product. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be in the stars any time soon.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by TakeMeToEZE
I'd be ok with the same E+ seats in Y, but AVOD alone would be an absolutely enourmous improvement which would completely revamp the United Economy product. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be in the stars any time soon.
I do not need AVOD in Y since my laptop easily beats them. Just wish UA can put real powerport in Y, or E+ at least.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 8:34 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
It's pointless (well, almost anyways) to have power plugs in E-, what with the tight seat pitch. It's almost impossible for someone with a laptop PC with a display larger than 12.1" to open it up enough to properly view the display.

Originally Posted by globetrekker84
The least they could do is put power plugs. I wouldn't mind too much if they kept everything else the same, but if I'm stuck on a 744 in Y+/-, I'd like to use my laptop for entertainment.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 9:05 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
I'm pretty sure Tilton has said First and Business will be improved, but not Economy.

There really is no benefit to improving Economy, as you don't get it back in the aggregate. SQ, QF, and LH (other then SFO-MUC on the A346 ) all have a "superior" Economy experience to UA, yet UA has little problem filling the back to NRT, SYD, and FRA.
How do you figure that LH has a superior Economy experience to UA? Have you ever been in LH economy? Legroom stinks and no IFE except projectors/overhead TVs on even the newest a/c. I avoid LH economy at all cost
Old Nov 3, 2006, 9:27 am

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by weero
You will rightfully kick me - but I love it that UA charges for booze in cattle class.
The Y flying experience has improved so much since alcohol is hard to get.
People behave better, less noise at night. I'd paid to get non-free booze one the
Pacific flights as well .
You know, I have noticed this as well...especially on flights to LHR and to AMS...the noise level has decreased and the flight is easier to sleep on...now if they could just develop a "baby" zone for these flight....
Old Nov 3, 2006, 9:35 am

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by KI-NRT
It's pointless (well, almost anyways) to have power plugs in E-, what with the tight seat pitch. It's almost impossible for someone with a laptop PC with a display larger than 12.1" to open it up enough to properly view the display.
1. How about display size not more than 12.1"? I have used laptops with 12.1 inch and 10.6 inch screen size with absolutely no problem in 744 E+. Also, I have seen people using larger model, 14 inch screen I think, in 744 E.

2. More and more laptop screens now boost much wider viewing angle than before. So you do not need to "open it up" to some optimal position to use it.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
It's pointless (well, almost anyways) to have power plugs in E-,
other airlines (nw, aa, and maybe co come to mind) with tight y offer power outlets and i haven't heard of any complaints.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
To the elite flyers on this board who have earned the privilege to sit in Economy Plus, the fact that you were asked by UA to pay for Economy Plus is a sign of integrity. >>

This is what happened. We reserved LAX- Kauai, and after spending 30+ minutes on the phone with someone in India, I was able to get a window seat in the back. We checked in early, the the agent make us feel lucky that we would get the seats we paid for, because the flight was oversold. My point on the integrity is, if it's so oversold, why did she then offer to sell me a different seat?? And if it was so oversold, why were there 16 open seats on the flight??
Old Nov 3, 2006, 12:44 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Originally Posted by chasbondy
And if it was so oversold, why were there 16 open seats on the flight??
Originally Posted by SFO_Runner
Flights are overbooked all the time.

If pax don't show up by a given point in time, they may lose their reservation / seat assignment.

Without a flight & pax manifest, there's no way to know the percentage by which the original poster's flight was overbooked, how many passengers failed to show up (thus giving up their seats), how many said passengers were elite (occupying E+), etc. etc.
I don't have anything to add.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by tommy777
How do you figure that LH has a superior Economy experience to UA? Have you ever been in LH economy? Legroom stinks and no IFE except projectors/overhead TVs on even the newest a/c. I avoid LH economy at all cost
I second that. It's got to be dirt cheap for me to fly LH Y....and that doesn't happen too often lately
Old Nov 3, 2006, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
Lets be honest Y service is never going to improve but giving all passangers flying on 12-14 hour 747 routes PTV will allow them not to notice how bad the service really is as flying in Y on 747 now is brutal. I hope that seats and features of Y are UG'ed.
-UFFA
Old Nov 4, 2006, 8:08 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by 1KPath
You know, I have noticed this as well...especially on flights to LHR and to AMS...the noise level has decreased and the flight is easier to sleep on...now if they could just develop a "baby" zone for these flight....
^ ^ ^ .
No kidding - I am so much happier on my AMS rides now. And SFO-FRA the
last two times was a pleasure rather than the pain it usually constitutes.
Babies used to be my #1 nemesis in coach overnight flights. But E+, my noise
cancelling headphones, and seat assignment work wonders to limit the impact
of unhappy toddlers .
Old Nov 4, 2006, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
I'm pretty sure Tilton has said First and Business will be improved, but not Economy.
there was a thread a while back concerning a tilton-endorsed press release that went something like: "no part of international to remain untouched"
Old Nov 4, 2006, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold / BA GGL&CCR
Originally Posted by moondog
there was a thread a while back concerning a tilton-endorsed press release that went something like: "no part of international to remain untouched"
True, but the problem is the first press release stating that the initial investment is solely for the premium cabins: http://www.united.com/press/detail/0...3803-1,00.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.