Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to improve Y product?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2006, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1P /Starwood Gold/Hyatt Plat/UA RCC
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
I vote for making E+ a separate cabin with improved seats (IFE) and food. Charge for this premium but give elites a discount
Good idea like Singapore: http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...class_seat.jsp
Old Nov 2, 2006, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by DogHead
..Non-complimentary alcohol in Y is one of my main peeves against UA (we all have them, don't we?... )..
You will rightfully kick me - but I love it that UA charges for booze in cattle class.
The Y flying experience has improved so much since alcohol is hard to get.
People behave better, less noise at night. I'd paid to get non-free booze one the
Pacific flights as well .
Old Nov 2, 2006, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
I'd settle for integrity instead of improvements. On my last 2 flights, I was informed how fortunate I was that they'd be able to board me because of the overbooked flight. Then, in her next breath, I was asked if I'd like to buy 5 more inches of legroom for $75. What a crock
Old Nov 2, 2006, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by weero
... The Y flying experience has improved so much since alcohol is hard to get.
People behave better, less noise at night ...
Yob will always be a yob, irrespectively of the cost of alcohol he consumed.
And I always thought that supply of alcohol is subject to FA assessment if pax can have one more or not. When alcohol is supplied for profit, that assessment could go out of window just for profit's sake.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA Plt, FB Silver
While I agree there's not much to be gained by having the best Y product in the skies, there's probably something to be lost by having the worst. Or one of the worst. E- really stinks. Y seat coverings are ratty. And even NW will soon have universal seatback PTV across the Atlantic now that the DC-10's are DC-gone.

For the moment, trans-at E- is comparable to the LH product, but the moment LH gets PTV, UA will have a product most Y pax will try hard to avoid.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by deckman
I just went to the SQ website following your link. I hadn't paid much attention to what they're planning. Wow, C and F are ubelievable! Wouldn't it be nice if we had something approaching that?
I doubt UA could do a C life SQ. It just doesn't make any
logistical sense. They need more C seats than that --
IMO. If they refit the 767, 777, and 747 with new, nice
C seats then next time around they can attempt to
compete with SQ, but if they tried to go after SQ from
there current position they are in for it.

SQ F is probably the most amazing thing I have ever seen,
land included . I think UA could make it by offering
an F product like this, because AA's flagship suite (which BJ
now loves) is comparable, and they already have decent
paid F on Asia routes.

As for Y, unless E+ was made a NEW cabin (ie not just more
leg room for elites or for a tiny fee) they could NEVER
profit from the upgrades.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by DogHead
..When alcohol is supplied for profit, that assessment could go out of window just for profit's sake.
I would intuitively agree with what you say.
But flying UA has taught me different ...
Old Nov 2, 2006, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by CJ99
And even NW will soon have universal seatback PTV across the Atlantic now that the DC-10's are DC-gone.
Right, but NW has nothing but E- and not a very good one at that.
As a former NW Plat and Gold Elite I know very well that International
Y is not where it is at on NW (if there is anything there at all). I flew
ONCE in Y over the Atlantic, and after that I was in paid C or upgraded
C. I personally do not think UA Y+ and NW Y should ever be compared,
and I flew many times on NW transatlantically.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Nothing can feel like much of an improvement when you are sitting in a seat with a seat pitch of 29 or 30 inches. Perhaps they could convert the Y cabin on all international flights to E+ seating configuration.

While that may be true of other airlines I believe the minimum pitch on UA is at least 31 inches. Add 4-6 more for E+.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mzkaiser
I personally do not think UA Y+ and NW Y should ever be compared,
i flew nw between pdx and nrt earlier this year in an exit row window with a standard power outlet and avod. i found the experience to be better than anything ua has ever thrown my way in y+ (though i will concede that snagging exit row seats on nw is not always an easy task).
Old Nov 2, 2006, 7:11 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Moderators: I suggest we make a new "sticky" topic - "When will UA improve it's economy / business / first class cabin?"

Originally Posted by chasbondy
I'd settle for integrity instead of improvements
Originally Posted by chasbondy
I was asked if I'd like to buy 5 more inches of legroom for $75. What a crock
To the elite flyers on this board who have earned the privilege to sit in Economy Plus, the fact that you were asked by UA to pay for Economy Plus is a sign of integrity.

If you're not an elite, then you should have been otherwise charged to "sit in the front of the back of the cabin".

The Economy Plus Access Pass exists for a reason ....

Originally Posted by CJ99
And even NW will soon have universal seatback PTV across the Atlantic now that the DC-10's are DC-gone.
The majority of UA's transatlantic flying now is performed by PTV equipped 767 and 777s.

Looking at next summer's schedule, the only scheduled transatlantic 744 flights are 1 x IAD - FRA, 1 x SFO - LHR, and 1 x SFO - FRA.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 7:13 pm

Programs: VX Gold, UA MM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
I'm pretty sure Tilton has said First and Business will be improved, but not Economy.
I can't imagine that he would have explicitly stated that Y will not be improved. That would be a bad PR move. A good CEO would never announce publicly that one of his core products will not improve. What would be the value in announcing that?

There really is no benefit to improving Economy, as you don't get it back in the aggregate. SQ, QF, and LH ... all have a "superior" Economy experience to UA, yet UA has little problem filling the back to NRT, SYD, and FRA.
An intelligent businessperson would be terrified if he heard his leadership saying this about the company's products. Filling your seats today doesn't guarantee you'll be able to fill your seats tomorrow, especially in such a competitive market. Any company has to innovate and introduce updated products to keep ahead of its competition.

Some of this, of course, is frequency and routing... but the in-flight experience is also important. If they are currently filling Y, that's great ... but I personally don't assume they'll leave Y as-is as a result of this. They're smarter and leaner than they were before Chapter 11, and they need to take advantage of this position to accelerate their performance. That includes Y, and I think they're smart enough to recognize it. (At least, I hope they are... maybe I should gun for Tilton's job.)

There is a strong business case to support improving the Y product, and filling the cabin on popular routes isn't a viable reason to postpone or avoid the improvement.

IMHO, of course!
Old Nov 2, 2006, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA-1K-MM AA-EXP-MM
Just my 2 cents worth...

I have a different view on enhancing international Y, I don't think they should do it. I believe that most Y traveling are far more price sensitive than they are service sensitive. I think a better strategy for UA would be to reduce costs as much as possible in Y. Like charging for international meals(BOB internationally), like enforcing a surcharge for E+ seats, reducing the FA staff in Y, so that the staffing is closer to the minimum required by the FAA. UA Y is never going to compete on quality with the likes of other international carriers, so I would try to compete on price. I know most frequent flyers would hate this but I believe that if you kept some of the perks for E+ and the upgrade opportunities for some Y fares, the Frequent flyers would stay. From my view F & C are about comfort and service, Y is about price. Of course that is just my opinion.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by SFO_Runner
To the elite flyers on this board who have earned the privilege to sit in Economy Plus, the fact that you were asked by UA to pay for Economy Plus is a sign of integrity.
I believe the reason chasbondy called it "a crock" is because (to paraphrase chas' post) the GAs said chas was "fortunate to even be boarded" because the "flights were overbooked." If the flights were truly overbooked, doesn't policy dictate that they open E+ to non-elites? If that's the case, claiming the flight is overbooked yet asking for payment for E+ seems like a misrepresentation. Then again, I could very well be misinterpreting the E+ policy on oversold flights.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
[QUOTE=ORD4R]I think a better strategy for UA would be to reduce costs as much as possible in Y. Like charging for international meals(BOB internationally),QUOTE]

Well that won't work on intl flights as other countries are not likely to follow suit and the not so frequent flyer will definitely go for whoever offers free meals. Swiss recently re-introduced meals in domestic EU flights. Especially flights to Asia will always have to provide meals due to the prestigious Asian carriers and the long distances involved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.