Wiki Posts
Search

retroactive credit for new account

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2006, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

retroactive credit for new account

A friend of mine just made a very long trip on United without crediting it to an FF account. I'm trying to educate her about frequent flyer programs, and I'm trying to find a way for her to get miles for her trip (ca. 10K EQMs one way). United's website seems to indicate that retro credit can only apply for flights after the enrollment date, while US's site allows for 6 months prior to enrollment credit--but only for US/HP flights.

Are there any *A programs that will allow a new member sign-up to get retro credit for UA flights taken ca. three weeks ago?
Old Aug 28, 2006, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/hspr-H102; Blazer/4.0) 16;320x320)

I believe MP does give a small grace period for new MP members to join and receive MP credit but it is certainly not as long as 3 weeks.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 2:20 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
When I joined MP a few years ago (less than 10), I seem to recall getting retroactive credit through the automated phone system for a trip taken about 6 weeks before I joined. I also remember being annoyed that I could not get retroactive credit for a trip I had taken 11 months prior. So the cutoff must have been somewhere in between.

If your friend still has the BPs for one of the flights on the missing trip (which have the 016 ticket number), trying the automated missing-mileage credit system is definately worth the effort for 10K+ eqms.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yeah, we'll give it a whirl. Worst case scenario, she now has an MP account to use for future trips!
Old Aug 28, 2006, 2:56 pm

My first ever mileage credit was a retroactive credit where I enrolled to MP few weeks after my first flight (BOS-SFO-ICN-SFO-BOS). I believe I had about 5 weeks between that flight and signing up for MP. The flight credited into my account in less than 3 days.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K,SPG Plat,
I just got someone here at the office to sign up, and the UA rep told me that "anything in the last 6 months" was able to be applied.

Personally, I thought it was only 45 days, and we all know how agents are prone to making things up, but maybe it just depends on who you get on the phone with.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the personal experiences. It seems like my friend has a good shot, and certainly nothing to lose for trying.
Old May 5, 2010, 10:07 pm

Trying to get retroactive miles when I didn't have UA MP account

Hello All,

I have a UA MP account that I opened relatively recently.

Within 1 year I flew 1 long international run on UA but didn't have a UA MP account then. I attempted to request credit through the website but it said something like "you didn't have an account during that time, can't get the miles"

Right now, I have all the original boarding passes, tickets, etc. from that trip.

Any options right now to get the mileage credit?

Sorry if this has been rehashed in the past, but I read back 2 years and didn't see it.

Thanks,

f
Old May 5, 2010, 10:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, garlicknots
UA may get retro credit for new accounts 30 days (and have heard of 60 days) but 1 year -- very doubtful

an old thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...w-account.html
Old May 12, 2010, 9:09 pm

From UMP CSR:

Hello Mr. Reyaz,

Thank you for your e-mail.
When you open a new Mileage Plus account, you can receive credit for any
flights that you flew up to 120 days prior to your enrollment date.

Since your flight was taken in August 2009 it not eligible for credit.

To ensure that future flights are credited to your account, be sure to
add your Mileage Plus account number at the time you make your
reservation and at check-in.

I appreciate you taking the time to contact me.

XXXX XXXX

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 13, 2010 at 2:57 am Reason: per policy
Old Oct 9, 2010, 12:34 am

Programs: UA MP Club (no status)
Unhappy *weeps*

Just a whine. Flew NRT-SIN-NRT in March, and just signed up for Mileage Plus today. I put the information into the retrocredit form only to be presented with the following message:
The flight segment requested was flown prior to your enrollment in Mileage Plus and is not eligible for credit.
I know it's my fault that I didn't sign up for Mileage Plus in March, but waaaah, that's 6,500 miles I can't claim!

Moral of the story: SIGN UP EARLY.

*goes away to sulk in a corner*
Old Oct 9, 2010, 12:48 am

Programs: UA MM, AA EXP, VS (silver-for-life revoked), DL, WN, AS, Hilton diamond, Marriott gold
I feel your pain. I flew SFO-BOS-SFO in 1995 crediting to no program at all, then filled out MP application literally at the gate while boarding SFO-LHR in Jan 1996.

May you earn enough miles/status that you never miss that one trip.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 12:57 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by februaryfour
Just a whine. Flew NRT-SIN-NRT in March, and just signed up for Mileage Plus today. I put the information into the retrocredit form only to be presented with the following message:
I know it's my fault that I didn't sign up for Mileage Plus in March, but waaaah, that's 6,500 miles I can't claim!

Moral of the story: SIGN UP EARLY.

*goes away to sulk in a corner*
Not sure if such program exists or you have the desire to accumulate miles aside from UA, you can search and see if other *A FFPs may allow retroactive credit for flights more than 6 months ago.

LAX
Old Oct 9, 2010, 5:53 am

Programs: UA MP Club (no status)
Originally Posted by LAX
Not sure if such program exists or you have the desire to accumulate miles aside from UA, you can search and see if other *A FFPs may allow retroactive credit for flights more than 6 months ago.
Thanks, but since I will be based in DEN in a month or so, UA M+ is pretty much it for me. (Thanks to the help on this thread.) The only other program I'd consider is SQ's Krisflyer, but I'm far more likely to be on UA than any other airline at this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.