Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Missed Flights and S*FAR/STANDBY (The 'Flat Tire Rule') [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missed Flights and S*FAR/STANDBY (The 'Flat Tire Rule') [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2010, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1P,.6 MM, Hilton Silver
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gijoe24jp
So, if you arrive at the airport after the "2hr limit", then the airline will not accomodate you? I know they are not required to, but does anyone have any experience like this?
In December I was on my way to the PIT airport when a sudden ice storm stopped all traffic for over 2 hours. I think I was about three hours late but United was great about confirming me all the way home to EUG the best they could. I was told that any flight that did get out earlier that morning was going out with about 15 people on it so there were a lot of people in the same condition I was. It probably helped that I was a new 1K but from what I could see they were giving the same treatment to everyone that got stuck like I did.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 10:49 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I think pretty much if you show up later the same day (regardless of how much later) you'll be reaccomodated on a standby basis. But next day.. probably not.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by gijoe24jp
So, if you arrive at the airport after the "2hr limit", then the airline will not accomodate you? I know they are not required to, but does anyone have any experience like this?
I missed a flight last December due to a flat tire on the way to DIA (yes i really had a flat). I called after I got my spare on the car and asked about what could be done. The agent on the phone said to just wait and head to the airport before the later flight. I was on a 2:30 PM flight, next flight left at 9 PM. While I wasn't able to be confirmed at that time the agent told me it was wide open and not to worry about heading to the airport till later. I was a 1P at the time so any 1K benefits didn't apply at that time.

So my experience is being there within the 2 hr window doesn't always apply.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 11:34 am
gof

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold
One thing here I'd point out. The "spirit" of the rule is to help out when the unanticipated delay happens. You're several days out and you state that you expect the delay.
Even if the snow ends on 2/10, I highly doubt the road would be plowed by early morning of 2/11.
To me, if you already expect the delay, you should plan on it. I frequently will make sure I book a hotel near the airport at times when travel to the airport on an early flight would be problematic. This is almost like saying you'll leave for the airport and not plan for the normal rush our traffic (we'll at 3am it should only take 30 minutes, I didn't expect that traveling into NYC at 8am would take soo long )
Airlines post the waiver because they expect to have flight delays, not because they expect the travelers to have a hard time getting to the airport.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 7:00 pm

Programs: *G, KLM Plat, Avis PC, SPG Plt, Hyt Plt
codeshare impact on flat tire rule

What if any role does the following code share condition play on United's flat tire policy?

Booked at USairways.com onto a United metal flight from ORD to LGA (with a United and US flight number)

I understand check-in is with United.
Old May 25, 2010, 1:04 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
FWIW, free "flat tire rule" standby is gone per the recent rule change. Standby is now $50, confirmed flight change if available is now $75.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by paytonc
FWIW, free "flat tire rule" standby is gone per the recent rule change. Standby is now $50, confirmed flight change if available is now $75.
That may be the official rule - but it's not enforced 100%. Recently arrived at the airport about 20 minutes past the check-in deadline for the last flight of the night. Since this was the last flight, the check-in counter was now closed and I had to call the 1P line. Not only did they put me on the first flight the next morning, but they confirmed me on it - for free - and my upgrade cleared, too. My hunch was that this flight was wide open, which is why they did it for me, but it turned out to be pretty full and F was completely full. So maybe they just decided to be nice? I wasn't going to argue it.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K
A 2P friend of mine successfully used the flat tire rule last weekend. He arrived at the airport after the checkin cutoff for PDX-DEN. He was confirmed (!) at no charge for a later flight through ORD.

I'd be interested to hear of any non-1Ks who have been charged (or not) the same-day stand by fee for flat-tire related standbys.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
CO Plat. Missed my EWR-ORD-MCO bag check cutoff by 3 minutes. Was confirmed straight away onto EWR-IAD-MCO leaving 2 hours later with no fee, and op-upped on the 757 IAD-MCO.

Exactly how good customer service is supposed to work.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
CO Plat. Missed my EWR-ORD-MCO bag check cutoff by 3 minutes. Was confirmed straight away onto EWR-IAD-MCO leaving 2 hours later with no fee, and op-upped on the 757 IAD-MCO.

Exactly how good customer service is supposed to work.
I would think good customer service for a Platinum missing the bag check cutoff by 3 minutes on his home airline at their hub would be to override and send you on your way.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 6:54 pm

I saw someone miss his connection in DEN and United asked him to pay a $50 fee. The guy at the CSC there was a miserable prick. I missed the same connection, but called the 2P line and was put on standby for the next flight with no charge AND the nice man on the phone said he was so sorry for the inconvenience (which was my fault) and sent me an email with a $200 credit. Whoa. I heart United.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by zkzkz
I would think good customer service for a Platinum missing the bag check cutoff by 3 minutes on his home airline at their hub would be to override and send you on your way.
I don't think he was on his home airline. If he was CO Plat he wouldn't have to fly EWR-ORD-MCO or EWR-IAD-MCO, he could just take the nonstop EWR-MCO. Plus if he were flying on CO he'd be posting in the wrong thread

Originally Posted by patricksw
I saw someone miss his connection in DEN and United asked him to pay a $50 fee. The guy at the CSC there was a miserable prick. I missed the same connection, but called the 2P line and was put on standby for the next flight with no charge AND the nice man on the phone said he was so sorry for the inconvenience (which was my fault) and sent me an email with a $200 credit. Whoa. I heart United.
Like my experience a few posts above yours, I was also pleasantly surprised to find the phone people have suddenly become nice and helpful. Maybe the old rule of expecting the airport people to do more than the phone people is reversing itself?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 9:29 am

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
Trying to get on a later flight

I have an upcoming flight on Sunday, and due to the change of plans, I'd rather be taking the flight on Monday.

Can I just show up to the airport late on Sunday, miss my flight, and then they'll book me on a Monday flight?

I understand it comes with a risk of Monday flights not being available, but is there a risk of me getting charged with a fees as well? Asking since my travel can also be on Monday/Tuesday, so less risk there, but I wouldn't want to get charged with any fees.

I'm silver with United, if status makes a difference!
Old Jul 28, 2010, 9:33 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Miss your flight on Sun, don't call UA before Mon, and you will need to buy a new ticket on Mon at the going rate.

Miss your flight on Sun, call UA and cncl reservation before Mon, and you can use the Sun ticket as payment (less any service charge) t'word a new ticket on Mon.

Call UA in advance and exchange your ticket if qualifying for same fare for Mon, and just pay the service charge.

Status makes no difference, the ticket you were sold may have been discounted based on advanced purchase. Even UA's highest lvl status must adhere to whatever ticketing rules their fare has in order to qualify for a discounted ticket.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 9:34 am

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
You can't do this without paying a change fee, and if the fare price is higher, you'll pay also pay the difference in fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.