Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Missed Flights and S*FAR/STANDBY (The 'Flat Tire Rule') [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missed Flights and S*FAR/STANDBY (The 'Flat Tire Rule') [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2006, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Exclamation Missed Flights and S*FAR/STANDBY (The 'Flat Tire Rule') [Merged]

I have never missed a flight so far, but I've come close a couple of times.
What happens if you miss a flight?

If I had not checked in already, then I lose the reservation but can standby free for later flights the same day through the flat-tire clause, is this correct?

What happens if I had checked in using OLCI, but missed the flight? Will I still be able to standby for later flights, or do I lose the value of the ticket for good?

This will be with discount tickets; W, S, T, V fares, etc. as I don't really fly much else.
Old May 2, 2006, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
You should be able to standby for later flights, but with no guarantee you'll get them. It helps that you have status.
Old May 2, 2006, 4:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I think the biggest difference is whether you check-in for the flight or not.

If you don't check in and just miss the flight.. then you are SOL.
If you check in but miss your flight, then they might put you on standby for later flights.. but as mentioned, there's no guarantee esp if flights are booked solid.
Old May 2, 2006, 4:54 pm

I missed a PHL-ORD flight (actually missed the checkin time as OLCI was broken that day) on a discount ticket. They just put me on the next flight. No big deal.
Old May 2, 2006, 5:04 pm

Yes I have also missed without checking in and was put standby on the next flight, no charge.
Old May 2, 2006, 5:06 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Starwood Platinum
They'll do what they can to get you where you're trying to go, but they'll do more, try harder, and generally take you more seriously if you have status, a plausible reason for missing the flight, and are polite.

They usually won't put you on other airlines, but they will sometimes confirm you on the next flight (rather than make you go standby) or let you change routings if you had a connecting flight.
Old May 2, 2006, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by izzik
I think the biggest difference is whether you check-in for the flight or not.

If you don't check in and just miss the flight.. then you are SOL.
If you check in but miss your flight, then they might put you on standby for later flights.. but as mentioned, there's no guarantee esp if flights are booked solid.
Checked in or not shouldn't make a difference. You'll be waitlisted for other flights that day. Having status helps tremendously to clear the waitlist, especially with the loads flying these days. If you aren't making the scheduled or any flight at all the day you're ticketed for, you need to call before the end of the day if you want to try to apply any value to another ticket or make a change for a reservation the next day (with change fee).
Old May 2, 2006, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies.

So I will be able to stand by for later flights even if I miss the flight after checking in, yes? If so, if I ever miss a flight, I will probably be able to get a seat in one of the later flights as there are several flights per day and I will hit 1P within the month, and then 1K by Autumn..

BTW, what is SOL? If I am trying to get on a later flight the same day, would it make a difference whether I am checked in or not on the flight I missed?
Old May 2, 2006, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by paulwlee
BTW, what is SOL?
SOL = Sure/Sorry/Sore (or any other S variation you might think of ) Out of Luck.
Old May 2, 2006, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Wow, a flurry of replies while I was typing my followup question.
I guess those replies answer all the questions I had.

Thanks a lot, armed with this knowledge, I will be much calmer when an unforeseen circumstance delays my arrival at the airport!
(Since I started using on-line checkin, I've been arriving at the airport a little later than before, which means I am more likely to cut it too close if something happens on the way.)
Old May 3, 2006, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoingAway
Checked in or not shouldn't make a difference. You'll be waitlisted for other flights that day. Having status helps tremendously to clear the waitlist, especially with the loads flying these days. If you aren't making the scheduled or any flight at all the day you're ticketed for, you need to call before the end of the day if you want to try to apply any value to another ticket or make a change for a reservation the next day (with change fee).
What if there is no other flight that day?

I nearly missed a transpac last week. It's one flight/day.
Old May 3, 2006, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Originally Posted by GoingAway
I've gotten waitlisted on first-out when I missed last-out, so there's some wiggle room here. While it never hurts to be nice, they generally seem to make an effort to get you where you're going.
Old May 3, 2006, 9:00 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
What if there is no other flight that day?

I nearly missed a transpac last week. It's one flight/day.
Depends on the situation. If there is another airline flying later (even indirectly) and missed through no fault of own or have flexible ticket/status then maybe rebooked on other airline. If there is no other airline then maybe next day's flight or maybe just SOL.
Old May 4, 2006, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Often I book flights that I have absolutely no intention of taking and then use the same stay stand by between ticketed city pairs fare rule to stand by for earlier or later flights.

You really don't have to have any reason. If you are ticketed for example SAN-DEN-BWI you can easily go stand by SAN-LAX-BWI.
Old May 4, 2006, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Depends on the situation. If there is another airline flying later (even indirectly) and missed through no fault of own or have flexible ticket/status then maybe rebooked on other airline. If there is no other airline then maybe next day's flight or maybe just SOL.
I don't know about other flights but I haven't seen any on the board. I expect it would be the next day's flight. We could have lived with that but I'm wondering what they would have charged us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.