Search

3 hrs turnaround in LHR - need advice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2005, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
3 hrs turnaround in LHR - need advice

I know there was a thread on this but cannot find it anywhere
I'm doing a quick roundtrip SFO-LHR this weekend to remake my 1K status for next year. I will spend exactly 3 hours in LHR. Do I have to go thru customs ? any shorcuts to avoid going thru security again in LHR ? thanks.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 6:53 pm

Programs: Free Agent, Any Status is Accidental
Not sure about LHR, but at LGW customs leads to outside the terminal, so you would say you're international transit and go on to whatever terminal your next flight was departing from.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 7:00 pm
Community Director Emerita

There is no need to go thru customs, but you will need to go thru security before you can return to the Terminal. Use the London Club, not the RCC - it is much nicer.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 7:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
Jeff - I don't think you need to exit the airside of LHR. I hope not anyway. I think the RCC is right by gate 18 - just have a drink and kick back.
Woops, I see that someone beat me to it, and I'm wrong. Have a good MR!
Old Nov 21, 2005, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
No you don't have to go through customs. Unfortunately, LHR requires screening for connections so follow the signs to transfer center or whatever they call it. Basically, you will have a long walk and then re-enter the transit area. There will then be a *A or UA desk at the transit check-in area or you can probably proceed to the RCC.

I haven't done this since it was renovated since, I tend to overnight in London when I pass thru. The walk to customs appears to be longer than in the past..... and I think it's the same for connecting pax.

They have finally segregated arriving and departing pax, which was like a 2 year project, but even if you made it in to the RCC they would not allow you to check in.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 7:15 pm

Programs: United GS/3MM Delta Platinum ,AA platinum,Marriott platinum,Hilton Diamond VIP,Hyatt Diamond
Becouse of security reason you have half mile walk and you will go to transit and no need to clear custome. if you are flying business. you can use showerds and relax.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 7:27 pm

[QUOTE=1K2M] if you are flying business. you can use showers and relax

Where are these showers that Biz pax have access to ?
Old Nov 21, 2005, 7:28 pm
Community Director Emerita

There are showers in both the RCC and London Club.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Just did this on Sun

No need to go out. By the time I got off the plane .....did some shopping ( books, etc) , went to the London Club ( which has really nice showers , free internet upstairs and some decent water in bottles ( as well as beer on tap) ), checked in for my SFO-PHX at the RCC it was time to get back on the plane . I flew PHX-ORD-LHR-SFO-PHX. Left PHX at 3pm on Sat and landed at 10pm Sun nite - even with the TED segs at each end it was fairly painless - so non-stop from SFO should be a breeze
Old Nov 21, 2005, 8:50 pm

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Don't forget to visit the Silver Kris lounge if you're in need of nourishment... the London Lounge (not Club!) is a great place to relax, but SQ always has nicer food and it's quieter as well.

hamburgler
Old Nov 21, 2005, 8:52 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
As recent posters have posted, use the SQ lounge Too bad they don't have Fauchon at LHR. If you ask the person at the desk they will give you a scratch off card to access the wi-fi service.

Safe travels couscous.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Another vote for the SKL although the London Lounge is also nice if you don't feel like making the walk over (yeah, I know it's not that far) after the trek through the Flight Connections
Old Nov 21, 2005, 9:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The long walk through flight connections is good, unless inbound flight is significantly delayed making the connection tight (in which case run). Both SKL and London Lounge way better than the RCC.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Nov 21, 2005 at 9:12 pm Reason: thinking of other terminal :o
Old Nov 22, 2005, 3:46 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
When I misread the gate number and turned left out of the RCC instead of right recently, I had to come back through Flight Connections, including security, which took less than 15 minutes (but I had to run to make the plane). 3 hours should enable the OP to stroll it.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 9:29 am

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
Question

Know this an old thread bump. I have exactly the same question. Any updated information?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.