Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone remember 100,000 Mile Club

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2005, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Anyone remember 100,000 Mile Club

If you do, you're indicating your age...looking at my card now and it is signed by Keck. I can't remember the year, but this was before the frequent flyer era. If there are any members of the above club reading this, please indicate since I have some ideas that might be presented to UAL.
Cgslack likes this.
Old May 16, 2005, 6:14 pm
Suspended

It might be helpful, for those of us that don't know what it is, to give some description. Since we're curious and all!
Old May 16, 2005, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
My dad was a member back in the 1960s. We still have a beautiful mahoghany-and-bronze engraved plaque they sent him with the '60s-era, chevron-style United Airlines blue-and-red logo. I've no idea what the admission requirements were, but it's pretty classy.
Old May 16, 2005, 6:23 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by jackp
If you do, you're indicating your age...looking at my card now and it is signed by Keck. I can't remember the year, but this was before the frequent flyer era. If there are any members of the above club reading this, please indicate since I have some ideas that might be presented to UAL.
Yep! It also gave us access to the Red Carpet Club (gratis). RCC was by invitation only at that time. IIRC, the VIP club was called the 100,000 mile club
Old May 16, 2005, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Yes, it was in the 1960s that the club existed...I know I achieved the mileage during the time I was going out with a United stewardess (which I married). I know you had to send UAL proof of flying 100,000 miles, but I don't remember the required time frame. I don't really remember getting much out of it except a card, luggage tag and a paper weight. After Mileage Plus started, I was a premier for many years, but retired and stopped flying as much. Since then I have been a premier off and on (was one last year...lost it for this year). I would hope that UAL might recognize this type of loyalty by awarding some type of permanent status...in any case, we still have quite a few miles to use up and I will continue to fly United when I do fly.
Old May 16, 2005, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
My dad was a member back in the 1960s. We still have a beautiful mahoghany-and-bronze engraved plaque they sent him with the '60s-era, chevron-style United Airlines blue-and-red logo. I've no idea what the admission requirements were, but it's pretty classy.

I am too young to have been a member but my Dad has the same plaque you describe. He did a LOT of travel in the 60's and 70's. He also has a lifetime RCC membership that he paid....$300 for. No I did not leave any zeros off. He is in his 80's now.
Old May 16, 2005, 7:01 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by jackp
Yes, it was in the 1960s that the club existed...I know I achieved the mileage during the time I was going out with a United stewardess (which I married). I know you had to send UAL proof of flying 100,000 miles, but I don't remember the required time frame. I don't really remember getting much out of it except a card, luggage tag and a paper weight. After Mileage Plus started, I was a premier for many years, but retired and stopped flying as much. Since then I have been a premier off and on (was one last year...lost it for this year). I would hope that UAL might recognize this type of loyalty by awarding some type of permanent status...in any case, we still have quite a few miles to use up and I will continue to fly United when I do fly.
It would be lovely if there were some kind of permanent record of the 100k fliers. Did they even have computers then? I wouldn't even know where to begin searching for an old membership card. I do remember that I was very young, newly married; we had enough money to travel and hitting that UA 100,000 milestone was a HUGE deal. Wow, did we feel swell in that exclusive lounge. Of course, we also used to get pretty dressed-up for the occasion
Old May 16, 2005, 8:19 pm

Programs: United 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold
Talking Mile High Club?

I'm too young (32) to know anything about the 100,000 club, but I have hard about the "Mile High Club" - is this the same thing?
Old May 16, 2005, 9:22 pm

Just shows,(when your Retired and got nothing better to do).So I went into into the garage and dug in some old old boxes of of nothing but stuff that should have been thrown out long ago.How about this Find.United had 3 classes (Grades)100,000 Miler Club 1963. Signed .W.A.Patterson,President-Half Million Miler Club.Signed.G.E Keck,President-Million Miler Club..signed.Edward Carlson,President.These were beautiful bronze plaques depicting an airplane circumnavigating the Globe..Continental,Presidents Club.1969.signed Robert Six,President.American Airlines ,Admiral of the Flagship Fleet,1968 signed C.R.Smith,Fleet Admiral.Delta Flying Colonel of the Delta Fleet (No year ???) signed C.H Dolson President. And then how about these.Eastern Airlines,Ionosphere Club.TWA Ambassadors 1967.signed Charles C.Tillinghasts ??? Can't make it out.President.Pan Am,Clipper Club.1980.William T.Seawell,Chrm.of the Board.Northwest Orient Airlines Top Flight Club,Donald W Nyrop ???.President.Boy those were the days how we long for them.
Old May 16, 2005, 9:35 pm

Programs: 1K (I know, my screen name is outdated), Marriott Plat, *Wood Plat, Five Star, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by homestar
I'm too young (32) to know anything about the 100,000 club, but I have hard about the "Mile High Club" - is this the same thing?

No. 100,000 refers to the number of miles flown NOT the number of partners you've been with.
Old May 16, 2005, 9:57 pm

Yes, I was a member of the 100,000 mile club. Still have the luggage tag. Would be great if United would just credit those miles to my lifetime miles and push me over the Million Mile mark!

Bruce
Cgslack likes this.
Old May 16, 2005, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just as a reminder to readers, the 100,000 Mile Club was not based on annual travel in those old days...it was based on your lifetime United miles. Keep in mind in those days and with United being a strictly Domestic U.S. airline...100,000 miles lifetime was a much harder accomplishment than today.

I was a member of the 100,000 Mile Club and later the Half Million Mile Club.

We didn't have to send in many proofs of tickets. In those days we had a phone number at the Los Angeles Sales Office where all our reservations were made either directly or forwarded via our travel agent. They kept a paper tally of our bookings. We also had these little red paper strips/forms and envelopes to mail in any ticket receipts for airport purchased tickets.

Membership in the Red Carpet Club was the big thing about those clubs. I don't think you could even pay for membership in those days. I seem to also recall it was invitation only, as obscure2k mentions.
Old May 17, 2005, 12:18 am

Wow that is awesome that you still have all that stuff.

Sounds like a collector's treasure trove!

Originally Posted by Getiton
Just shows,(when your Retired and got nothing better to do).So I went into into the garage and dug in some old old boxes of of nothing but stuff that should have been thrown out long ago.How about this Find.United had 3 classes (Grades)100,000 Miler Club 1963. Signed .W.A.Patterson,President-Half Million Miler Club.Signed.G.E Keck,President-Million Miler Club..signed.Edward Carlson,President.These were beautiful bronze plaques depicting an airplane circumnavigating the Globe..Continental,Presidents Club.1969.signed Robert Six,President.American Airlines ,Admiral of the Flagship Fleet,1968 signed C.R.Smith,Fleet Admiral.Delta Flying Colonel of the Delta Fleet (No year ???) signed C.H Dolson President. And then how about these.Eastern Airlines,Ionosphere Club.TWA Ambassadors 1967.signed Charles C.Tillinghasts ??? Can't make it out.President.Pan Am,Clipper Club.1980.William T.Seawell,Chrm.of the Board.Northwest Orient Airlines Top Flight Club,Donald W Nyrop ???.President.Boy those were the days how we long for them.
Old May 17, 2005, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Homestar, I can only wish the 100,000 club had anything close to what the mile high club stands for!
Old Sep 3, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA, AS
I'd never heard about this club until today.

Walt Disney was a member of the United Airlines 100,000 Mile Club.

I visited the The Disney Family Museum in San Francisco today which has stories and exhibits on Walt Disney's life including his work with the Disney Company and also memorabilia and stories from Walt Disney's family.

One of the items on display in one of the exhibits was a couple of old United Airlines luggage tags including one that recognized him as a member of the UA 100,000 mile club which I'd never heard of before so I came here to look it up and found this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.