FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anyone remember 100,000 Mile Club
View Single Post
Old May 16, 2005, 7:01 pm
obscure2k
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by jackp
Yes, it was in the 1960s that the club existed...I know I achieved the mileage during the time I was going out with a United stewardess (which I married). I know you had to send UAL proof of flying 100,000 miles, but I don't remember the required time frame. I don't really remember getting much out of it except a card, luggage tag and a paper weight. After Mileage Plus started, I was a premier for many years, but retired and stopped flying as much. Since then I have been a premier off and on (was one last year...lost it for this year). I would hope that UAL might recognize this type of loyalty by awarding some type of permanent status...in any case, we still have quite a few miles to use up and I will continue to fly United when I do fly.
It would be lovely if there were some kind of permanent record of the 100k fliers. Did they even have computers then? I wouldn't even know where to begin searching for an old membership card. I do remember that I was very young, newly married; we had enough money to travel and hitting that UA 100,000 milestone was a HUGE deal. Wow, did we feel swell in that exclusive lounge. Of course, we also used to get pretty dressed-up for the occasion